Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Live shows likely next round for NBC, Strikeforce

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,787-1,542
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
The programming suits at NBC have a decision to make.

EliteXC's Saturday Night Fights debut on CBS May 31 proved that live mixed martial arts is more than viable on network television. Despite the fact that most MMA fans jeered the show, ripping into everything from the production to the officiating, SNF was the most-watched MMA event in U.S. television history. The broadcast drew a peak audience of more than 6.5 million viewers ā€“ and 4.85 million viewers in total ā€“ to top the 5.9 million who tuned into the Quinton Jackson-Dan Henderson match at UFC 75.

Those are game-changing numbers that TV executives simply can't ignore, especially when it comes to delivering the male, 18-to-34 audience that advertisers crave. That demographic comprised a sizeable portion of the viewers who tuned into SNF.

NBC already carries MMA, albeit in a time slot far removed from the bright lights of primetime. Strikeforce launched its weekly 30-minute taped series on the Peacock Network April 12. The promotion, which those familiar with the deal say purchased the airtime from the network, hoped the series would be the catalyst that leads to live shows on NBC.

"Periodically, we're in talks (with NBC)," said Strikeforce's Mike Afromowitz. "Of course, we want to be live on the network. That's always been part of our long-term objective. People want to see live events. The show's been a good way to introduce the brand and the product to people, but moving forward, we want to be live. That's the next step."

Not only do the ratings generated on CBS suggest that the next step might be imminent for NBC, programming brass at the network need to look no further than their own ratings to see that MMA draws a crowd. Viewership of "Strikeforce on NBC," which follows "Poker After Dark" every Saturday night/early Sunday morning, has increased nearly 200 percent from its first show to one of its recent airings.

The fifth episode, during the week of May 5, drew an audience of 949,000 viewers. That topped the average ratings for other late-night fare, including "Jimmy Kimmel Live" and "The Late, Late Show with Craig Ferguson."

"The show has exceeded our expectations," said Afromowitz, who oversees selection of fights featured in the production. "We're only several weeks into the series. We got the production together very quickly with minimal promotion. We didn't have a big, big campaign to promote it, but word spread from the first week we were on."

It seems only a matter of time before NBC makes a more significant commitment to MMA programming.

Link

Post #1   6/9/08 2:51:55PM   

CantAndleDaRiddum

I Got My Black Belt in MMA

CantAndleDaRiddum Avatar

Career:299-192
Chips:
it's about time

i get tired of seeing the same Melendez/Guida fight

Post #2   6/9/08 2:53:15PM   

puppetmaster837

Standup Guy

puppetmaster837 Avatar

Career:216-132
Chips:

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

it's about time

That was a pretty sick fight though

Post #3   6/9/08 2:58:27PM   

jakeiceman

Banned

jakeiceman Avatar

Career:185-141
Chips:

Posted by puppetmaster837

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

it's about time

That was a pretty sick fight though

That was an extremely sick fight, but I've seen it a thousand times so new programming is good for me

Post #4   6/10/08 2:22:09AM   

Bemin

Touch gloves, and good fight!

Bemin Avatar

Career:140-118
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
Hope that Stikeforce can make this happen, its a very good promotion. I would rather see these guys live on Network tv than EliteXC any day.

Post #5   6/10/08 2:26:22AM