Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Vera wants UFC rematch, Werdum says no

Print  
Was the stoppage premature?
Yes 61 72%
No 15 18%
Well, safety is paramount 9 11%
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,817-1,549
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Filipino American mixed martial artist Brandon "The Truth" Vera immediately called for a rematch after losing in a first-round battle against Fabricio Werdum of Brazil in their Ultimate Fighting Championship match at London's O2 Arena over the weekend.

"[I'm willing to wait] eight weeks, 10 weeks," Vera said, referring to the regular training period a UFC fighter undergoes before slugging it out in "The Octagon."

Werdum, however, declined Vera's challenge, saying he wants to fight for the UFC championship belt next. The Brazilian said that if and when he snares the crown, he would consider a rematch with Vera following Saturday's "UFC 85: Bedlam."

Link

Post #1   6/9/08 7:59:10AM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,554-840
Chips:
Poor stoppage for sure. Vera's got a legit beef. At the same time, this is really an indigtment of the HW division isn't it?!

I mean, Werdum have you beat who exactly?

Reply- "Well, I stomped that Gonzaga guy. And he had a really good head kick once on CroCop. I mean, you should have seen it. it was really cool. And I demolished this Vera kid the other day. He had no chance, i knew it, the ref knew it, and you know it. Bring me Big Nog's head on a stick!!!"

Yeah, but arn't you the same guy who laid on your back for three rounds praying that Andre Arlovski would just climb aboard your love train? (quite possibly the worst fight i've ever seen)

Reply- "Well yeah- But if he would have just played along I would have taken him too. And he's gone now anyway. Clearly he was afraid of a rematch. So he's hiding from me now in some other silly organization."

Sure sure, Werdum. You wait here, I'll be right back with your title.

This whole division is a wreck right now. Mir gets a R1 sub on a rookie and it's good enough to send him to TUF and a title shot?! Werdum wants the belt and has no credentials. Vera NEEDS to drop to 205. Arlovski's gone, Big Tim is gone (who knew we'd miss him!). The last poster child of HW, Couture, now looks more like a cry baby. Short of Rocky Balboa (Nog), who gets destroyed for three rounds everytime out only to sneak in that submission at the end, there is no tested talent here at all. (ok, maybe Harring) Someone please help us!

I'm not a Brock fan at all, but he's got the physical gifts to run the table here if he gets some game under his belt. I really can't wait for guys like Valesquez and Carwin to put it all together so we can infuse some excitement back into this horrendous division.

Post #2   6/9/08 8:39:54AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
I can understand him wanting to progress towards the belt and the HW devision is basically broken but how can Werdum say he wants a title fight?!

He's 2-1 in his UFC career, one of which is a very questionable stoppage after losing one of the most boring fights I'v ever watched, and thats coming from probably the biggest AA nuthugger on the site!
The Gonzaga was impressive but I personally think theirs at least one more decent fight before he gets a title shot.
Maybe not Vera if he's so set on pushing forward but how about Kongo or Heath? they are both basically in the same boat as him.

All that being said though if Mir is fighting for the belt I don't see how they can justifye Werdum not being next in line...... God the UFC's HW devision is a joke! Less than a year ago it was by far the best in the world!

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #3   6/9/08 8:53:29AM   

tomp6581

Standup Guy

tomp6581 Avatar

Career:406-255
Chips:

Posted by bojangalz

Poor stoppage for sure. Vera's got a legit beef. At the same time, this is really an indigtment of the HW division isn't it?!

I mean, Werdum have you beat who exactly?

Reply- "Well, I stomped that Gonzaga guy. And he had a really good head kick once on CroCop. I mean, you should have seen it. it was really cool. And I demolished this Vera kid the other day. He had no chance, i knew it, the ref knew it, and you know it. Bring me Big Nog's head on a stick!!!"

Yeah, but arn't you the same guy who laid on your back for three rounds praying that Andre Arlovski would just climb aboard your love train? (quite possibly the worst fight i've ever seen)

Reply- "Well yeah- But if he would have just played along I would have taken him too. And he's gone now anyway. Clearly he was afraid of a rematch. So he's hiding from me now in some other silly organization."

Sure sure, Werdum. You wait here, I'll be right back with your title.

This whole division is a wreck right now. Mir gets a R1 sub on a rookie and it's good enough to send him to TUF and a title shot?! Werdum wants the belt and has no credentials. Vera NEEDS to drop to 205. Arlovski's gone, Big Tim is gone (who knew we'd miss him!). The last poster child of HW, Couture, now looks more like a cry baby. Short of Rocky Balboa (Nog), who gets destroyed for three rounds everytime out only to sneak in that submission at the end, there is no tested talent here at all. (ok, maybe Harring) Someone please help us!

I'm not a Brock fan at all, but he's got the physical gifts to run the table here if he gets some game under his belt. I really can't wait for guys like Valesquez and Carwin to put it all together so we can infuse some excitement back into this horrendous division.

You are being totally unfair here.

Firstly, Vera was doing absolutley nothing except getting hit by a guy in full mount. wether or not he was getting hurt is another argument. The ref stopped it, because he wanst defending himself. Tell me what Werdum did wrong?
The REF stoped the fight NOT Werdum. Why has werdum come out of this fight looking bad?

Secondly, in the Arlovski fight BOTH fighter looked awful...BOTH! If you remember correctly this fight was initally going to be the "who fights the winner of Couture v Gonzaga(or cro cop). But Because both fighters were awful, Dana changed his mind.

Werdum is a good Heavyweight. He is guilty of being involved in one half of a awful fight more than a year ago, but since then has looked good.

Last edited 6/9/08 9:22AM server time by tomp6581
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   6/9/08 9:21:12AM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career:2,040-1,148
Chips:
What a wimp

Post #5   6/9/08 10:00:32AM   

fullerene

MMA Sensei

fullerene Avatar

Career:1,511-929
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:
I can understand both guys' points. Vera clearly lost that round badly, but the stoppage was early to me. To say "If he gets and holds mount, he wins"--which is basically what they did--makes fighting a guy with Werdum's kind of BJJ almost impossible. I felt that Vera was losing badly but I didn't feel the fight was over and I'm not 100% confident Werdum wins a rematch. If I was Vera I would want a rematch immediately.

Werdum is probably the #1 contender for Nog's title right now. It's not that he's 2-1 in the UFC, it's also that he was a contender in Pride and that he's 2-0 in his last two fights against other potential contenders and that he beat them by stoppage. Nobody else on the UFC's roster has a more legitimate claim to be fighting for the title IMO. Should he be asked to compensate for the referee's discretion by forfeiting a bigger payday and poetentially a title (and more big pay days)? As a pure fighter, maybe that would be his instinct, but as a professional figter who has 3-4 years to make all the money and achieve all of the fame that he's going to achieve in his MMA career, that isn't a smart move. It's not like he's taking a step down in competiion in fighting Nog vs. fighting Vera. If anything, he's moving on to tougher challenges. Unfortunately for Vera he lost the chance he had to be in Werdum's position.

Last edited 6/9/08 10:16AM server time by fullerene

Post #6   6/9/08 10:15:21AM   

finnish_line

In Full Mount

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

I don't understand how Vera could do what he did for 15-20 seconds and expect any ref to not stop the fight in 2008.

Just covering up and not fighting back is grounds for stopping a fight. Everyone knows this, except Brandon Vera it seems.

Vera will never make this mistake again (hopefully).

It doesn't matter if there were five, twenty, of 200 seconds left in the round. You have to throw a counter punch. Or try to buck your opponent off you. It doesn't matter if you're hurt or not, so there is zero point in saying "I'm not hurt."

There might actually be a point to saying "I'm going to fight back in a few seconds!" That might delay a ref stoppage.

It was a life lesson for him (one that he should have known by now if I knew it for a fact) and was thus a great stoppage.

EDIT - and Werdum thinks he's the #1 contender because of what Dana has said previously about the winner of this fight. Do I think he deserves to be? Hell no.

Still, he can't fight the winner of Mir/Nog for 10 months, so he needs a fight in the meantime. His opponent should probably be a smartened up Vera.

Last edited 6/9/08 10:41AM server time by finnish_line

Post #7   6/9/08 10:39:40AM   

pdanke

MMA Regular

pdanke Avatar

Career:1,523-1,002
Camp: The Tokyo Bacon Wolves
Chips:
What's unfortunate is that (bad stoppage or not) the crowd was booing Werdum.

I can understand you're frustrated, you wanted some carnage and you felt robbed of that, but Werdum was the better man that night, give him his props.

Post #8   6/9/08 10:52:34AM   

billycarnage

In Full Mount

billycarnage Avatar

Career:300-165
Chips:
I am a Werdum fan (nuthugger) I was so stoked when he won BUT I think that since there were only 15 seconds left they should have let the clock expire and the fight go to Round 2. Vera wasn't doing anything to defend himself and so that's what he gets. If it were middle of the round there would be no contraversy so i am happy. Werdum could pass Vera's gaurd all day so it wouldn't have made it out of the second anyway.
I wouldn't fight a guy like Vera again either. After an entire year of training, best case scenario you beat the same guy twice why not move forward? fight Kongo or Hardonk... wow the devision really does suck.

Post #9   6/9/08 11:05:23AM   

bigbubbano23

MMA Sensei

bigbubbano23 Avatar

Career:317-197
Camp: Xtreme Couture
Chips:
o well, vera needs to start geting some wins before he makes some demands,

Post #10   6/9/08 11:09:15AM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,838-1,149
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
who has a better HW class ???

Affliction? why cause of Fedor?

Tim?

Tim was what a good fighter that no one liked to watch

well UFC still has a better HWs than everyone else plus they belong to the UFC not a joint of mutible orgs getting together for a show

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #11   6/9/08 11:28:27AM   

candynuts

Belt Contender

candynuts Avatar

Career:253-158
Chips:
Im not sure why everyone is saying 10-15 seconds was left in the round. Vera got stopped at 4:40 which = 20 seconds left in the round. He was mounted for 13 seconds and there was 20 more seconds of the round when he decided to sort of curl sideways still receiving partially blocked shots to the face. I was actually thinking it was going to be stopped during the fight, and it did. But im not sure Vera woulda outlasted an extra 20 seconds in the position he was in when the fight got stopped. Maybe it was an early stoppage, but it might possibly have been 5 seconds to 10 early tops, but I just dont think he would have lasted 20 seconds.

Post #12   6/9/08 11:38:34AM   

candynuts

Belt Contender

candynuts Avatar

Career:253-158
Chips:

Posted by SpiderSilva

who has a better HW class ???

Affliction? why cause of Fedor?

Tim?

Tim was what a good fighter that no one liked to watch

Well, according to you Top 10 best heavyweights, Fedor, AA, Sylvia, and Barnett are fighting for Affliction. Aleksander is rumored to be fighting there. Those 5 top 10 HW's in the world (in your opinion of course) fight for Affliction.
Randy, Hunt, and Cro Cop do not fight in the UFC anymore, and the only 2 current UFC HWY's you have is Big Nog and Kongo in the top ten.

UFC clearly has more depth at the HWY division, but Affliction also has Pedro Rizzo, Ben Rothwell, and Paul Buentello. Not too shabby to be honest.

Post #13   6/9/08 11:51:55AM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:
Terrible stoppage in my opinion....Vera was not hurt at all, just because someone has the mount position and is throwing punches doesnt meen the fight should be stopped. Vera still had his hands up and was defending...IMO they should have let it go till Vera was at least rocked....

Post #14   6/9/08 11:52:37AM   

decken

Standup Guy

decken Avatar

Career:471-314
Chips:
My problem with the stoppage is this is the same referee that let Kimbo take elbows for 2 minutes and did not stop it. Vera is a better more experienced fighter and should be given more time (if he is not being seriously hurt.) Dan Miragliotta is just not consistent in his calls and nothing else pisses me of more. MMA is already unpredictable enough it doesn't need random and inconsistent refereeing on top of it.

Post #15   6/9/08 11:54:29AM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3