Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Dana White talks about a Penn/GSP fight this New Years Eve!

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Bemin

Touch gloves, and good fight!

Bemin Avatar

Career:140-118
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
LONDON - A super-fight between Canadian Georges St. Pierre and B.J. Penn could take place later this year, UFC president Dana White said Friday.

Penn (14-4-1) raised the issue of a GSP rematch after defeating Sean Sherk to retain his lightweight (155-pound) title last month at UFC 84. St. Pierre (16-2) is currently the welterweight champion at 170 pounds.

The two met back as welterweights at UFC 58 in March 2006. Penn won the first round, cutting the Canadian, but St. Pierre rallied to win a split decision in the mixed martial arts contest.

White said at UFC 84 that there was one more fight at 155 for Penn, against the winner of the UFC 87 bout in August between lightweight contenders Roger Huerta and Kenny Florian. Penn did not seem enthused by that prospect, however.

On Friday, White said he would still like Penn to take that bout. But he seemed OK with the Hawaiian fighter skipping it and going straight to GSP.

"We'll see how this whole thing shapes out. The kid did what I asked him to do. And I don't disagree with him and GSP being a great fight and I think that he could compete at 170 and stay there."

Link

Post #1   6/8/08 10:39:57PM   

Mchubb316

MMA Sensei

Mchubb316 Avatar

Career:838-517
Camp: Strikers Inc.
Chips:
I would love to see this fight from a fans POV. I don't think it would be good for the UFC from a marketing standpoint. One guy two divisions, and one champ. BJ is more than capable of beating GSP. If this happens then what? When does BJ defend the belts, and at what time? What if BJ gets hurt and can't defend either belt for a long period of time? This worries me a bit. I would still like to see them fight.

Post #2   6/8/08 10:47:09PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,510-1,592
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I'd like to see it as a Super Fight at a catch weight for 5 rounds and with no titles on the line. Best of both worlds!

Post #3   6/8/08 10:49:00PM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,782-1,124
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
hope hope
IMO BJ beat GSP ass and only lost cause GSP just went for the repeated takedowns to win

Didn't BJ say somthing to Rogan like "look at him(GSPs face) and look at me and you tell me who won that fight!"

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #4   6/8/08 10:49:37PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,553-840
Chips:
This is a great idea! I really don't see any other direction for GSP or Penn anyway. I mean, with all those title defences between them so far this year, it only makes sense to put this fight on.

Seriously, they just established a supposed next contender for the 170 lbs belt with Thiago, and they haven't even established a contender for Penn yet (until after Florian/Huerta) and they already want one of these "super fights"?! I'm sure it would be a great event an all, but I'd like see the champs defend their titles a handful of times at least. Everyone says that these guys are going to rule their respective devisions for years to come, so why not wait intil they've proven their status as all-time champs.

I'm not sure what I dislike more- Locking up a belt for a year-and-a-half with all the TUF BS, or wasting perfectly good title defence oppertunities on meaningless fights.

Lets see these guys each go 5-0 for the next two years, then meet at 162 lbs for a throwdown in 2011.

Post #5   6/8/08 11:01:10PM   

Mchubb316

MMA Sensei

Mchubb316 Avatar

Career:838-517
Camp: Strikers Inc.
Chips:

Posted by bojangalz

This is a great idea! I really don't see any other direction for GSP or Penn anyway. I mean, with all those title defences between them so far this year, it only makes sense to put this fight on.

Seriously, they just established a supposed next contender for the 170 lbs belt with Thiago, and they haven't even established a contender for Penn yet (until after Florian/Huerta) and they already want one of these "super fights"?! I'm sure it would be a great event an all, but I'd like see the champs defend their titles a handful of times at least. Everyone says that these guys are going to rule their respective devisions for years to come, so why not wait intil they've proven their status as all-time champs.

I'm not sure what I dislike more- Locking up a belt for a year-and-a-half with all the TUF BS, or wasting perfectly good title defence oppertunities on meaningless fights.

Lets see these guys each go 5-0 for the next two years, then meet at 162 lbs for a throwdown in 2011.

Can GSP make 162? I wouldn't think so.

Post #6   6/8/08 11:03:56PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
They both need to make at least one title defense. St. Pierre has the Fitch one coming up, and BJ should take the winner of Huerta and Florian.

I can understand from BJ's perspective not wanting to fight Huerta or Florian since, IMO, they don't stand a chance at beating him. Then again if he overlooks either one they'd be right there ready to capitalize on it.

I also can't help but wonder how lazy BJ is being in regards to having to stick to his ridiculous dieting. He might not want these fights because he doesn't want to have to stick to that lifestyle in order to a fight an opponent he doesn't deem worthy. I love BJ (and BJ's!) but sometimes he does have his attitude problems... (and so do the ladies )

Post #7   6/8/08 11:04:01PM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:1,969-1,003
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
GSP will destroy the face of Penn for 2 rd and will humiliate Penn by Submitting him in rd 3 !!!

Hope it will be for the WW belt so it will be a 5 rd fight !! In that case , i say GSP by total destruction, Penn's corner will probably throw the tower in rd 3 or 4 when Penn will have more of his blood on the floor than in his veins !!!

Go GSP !!!

Post #8   6/8/08 11:04:14PM   

bustin_mma

Standup Guy

bustin_mma Avatar

Career:1,489-869
Camp: Kame House
Chips:
I would kill to see this fight happen.

Post #9   6/8/08 11:06:03PM   

taporsnap26

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
to the comment about GSP's face being bloody, you have to remember that Penn thumbed him in the eye, and the blood was from his nose getting clipped with an uppercut, nothing serious. plus the fact you can hit penn with a sledgehammer and he won't bleed.

i love both of these fighters, but it would be a mistake to have the fight soon. let each guy defend the belt a couple of times first.

and, how's bj's conditioning going to be when he goes back up to 170? is he going to have to trade size for stamina?

Post #10   6/8/08 11:17:46PM   

hails

MMA Regular

hails Avatar

Career:400-274
Camp: Team Bushido
Chips:
GSP needs to defend his belt a couple of times first.

He just got his belt back, so GSP defend a few times to really prove you are the real deal, BJ do the same, the set up a huge super fight.

I really dont like the talk of champions moving divisions. This reflects poorly on the UFC talent if there is no one to challenge.

The UFC needs to address this by signing some big names rather than setting up super fights...

Post #11   6/8/08 11:20:37PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
That's stupid you can't really look at fighters face and say who won. like fisher vs stout 2?

i dont see this fight happening on new years eve. because gsp still has to fight fitch and BJ i think will have to fight the winner of florian/huerta.

Plus i think GSP would beat BJ this second time via tko or pound him into a submission. That's just what i think, IMO

Post #12   6/8/08 11:40:16PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by tuvok500

GSP will destroy the face of Penn for 2 rd and will humiliate Penn by Submitting him in rd 3 !!!

Hope it will be for the WW belt so it will be a 5 rd fight !! In that case , i say GSP by total destruction, Penn's corner will probably throw the tower in rd 3 or 4 when Penn will have more of his blood on the floor than in his veins !!!

Go GSP !!!

ROFL, there's that GSP nut hugging I've been missing.

I'll make an avatar bet with you if this fight happens... deal?

Post #13   6/8/08 11:47:39PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by tuvok500

Go GSP !!!

ROFL, there's that GSP nut hugging I've been missing.

I'll make an avatar bet with you if this fight happens... deal?

No shit...GSP submitting BJ...give me a break.

Post #14   6/8/08 11:49:55PM   

jimmypockets

ThE ThIcKFrEAkNeSS

jimmypockets Avatar

Career:1,090-730
Camp: RuStY CaGe FiGhT TeAm
Chips:
I think they need to just scrap that fight and put on something even more ridiculous...........What you ask?................A tag match between Nog and Penn vs. GSP and Jackson. Put all the belts n the line and let Anderson Silva take the winner. It only makes sense

XB Live Gamertags- J1mMy PoCkEtS, Th3 Barncat

Post #15   6/8/08 11:53:27PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3