Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

New Dana interview-feb. 26th- " I'll have Fedor someday"

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,941-1,101
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I just saw this on NBC, I'll paste it here

Fighting words
White: "I'll have Fedor someday"
By Mike Chiappetta
NBCSports.comPosted: Feb.26, 2007, 4:08 pm EST
The UFC freight train to success keeps on rolling ahead. The next stop on the ride is Columbus, Ohio, were the organization is expecting its largest audience ever, as almost 19,000 fans will pack the Nationwide Arena on Saturday, March 3 to see a card headlined by the return of "The Natural" Randy Couture, as he challenges UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia.
But the heavyweight division that has suddenly been inundated with the return of Couture, the arrival of Mirko Cro Cop and the acquisition of Fabricio Werdrum could someday soon boast the man who is considered by many to be the best in the world: Fedor Emelianenko.
UFC 68
Randy Couture interview: Part I | Part II
UFC 68 video preview: Couture, Franklin, Hughes and more
Debate UFC 68 matchups
UFC 68 Live weigh-in, 4pm Friday, March 2
on NBCSports.com
When asked about the upstart Bodog Fight organization and Emelianenko on a recent conference call, White bristled at the new group.
"I'm after all the best fighters in the world…," he said. "I'll have Fedor someday."
The Russian mixed martial artist reportedly signed a one-fight deal with Bodog, and is scheduled to take on Matt Lindland on April 14 in St. Petersburg, Russia. He reportedly extended his current deal with PRIDE in January, but the Japan-based organization has had financial difficulties after losing its TV deal last year.
White's comment on the PRIDE heavyweight champ was one among many that highlighted the explosive growth of the UFC, as he reiterated time and again that he is targeting all of the world's best fighters to join his group.
"I'm going to get them all," he said. "I'm getting everybody; they're all going to be with us."
Just days after PRIDE put on what was roundly praised as an excellent fight card in Las Vegas, White asserted UFC's supremacy in the US and around the world.
"What's happening now, is that with us going international now, and going after that talent, Tim [Sylvia] is finally in a position where a lot of those questions are going to be answered," White said. "A lot of people think that the mystique over in Japan, they're bigger, better, making more money. All of it's bull----. It's all a big myth and now we're in a place where we can prove it. Look at Nick Diaz… Diaz was cut by us because he lost so many times and he just beat Gomi who everyone thought was unstoppable and the best guy in that weight division. Not only did Nick Diaz beat him, but BJ Penn destroyed him."
He also shot back against PRIDE claims that UFC backed down in matching up its light-heayvweight champ Chuck Liddell with PRIDE's Wanderlei Silva, a longtime middleweight champ until losing last Saturday to Dan Henderson.
"I've been trying to make that Wanderlei Silva fight for Chuck for years," he said. "And that got these goofs running around saying I wouldn't make the fight and I'm the reason it won't happen. That's bull----. I've always been willing to prove we have the best fighters in the world. Now it's unfolding anyway. It's happening."
It appears that even though that's a fight White has talked about for years, it likely won't happen now with Silva having lost two straight fights.
"I'm pissed off he didn't lose to Chuck," White said. "They threw away the biggest fight in MMA history. Not only are they No. 2, they're not the brightest bulbs on the porch, either."
The two organizations have been locked in a war of words lately, with PRIDE declaring its global dominance at its most recent show, a declaration Randy Couture took exception to.
"I was at the event and they took several shots at the UFC," Couture said. "I think if you have to tell everybody that you have the best fighters in the world, then you probably don't."

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #1   2/26/07 5:14:12PM   

Northrend

In Full Mount

Northrend Avatar

Career:110-62
Camp: Team Pride
Chips:
I don't see Fedor leaving for UFC since they lack in the HW division and he would litterly have no competition but if he did....Fedor+Elbows=Dead people.

Post #2   2/26/07 5:17:36PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:
I agree Fedor would be even more devastating with elbows, but the UFC has 4 of the top 10 HVY's by most people's definitions( Cro-cop, Sylvia, Arlovski, Werdum) Pride has 5 IMO but I don't think he wouldfight his brother. So he could only fight 4. He's already beat NOG twice and Hunt once. Barnett and him are saying they are buddies now and might not fight. Kharitanov doesn't seem worthy at the moment, so who's he going to fight? I'm not saying Fedor is on the way, this war of word's is just hyperbole by Dana and Jerry Millen. Still, if Fedor is going to have some new exciting matchups right now , it looks like the UFC would be the place to fight for him.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #3   2/26/07 5:23:02PM   

Northrend

In Full Mount

Northrend Avatar

Career:110-62
Camp: Team Pride
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

I agree Fedor would be even more devastating with elbows, but the UFC has 4 of the top 10 HVY's by most people's definitions( Cro-cop, Sylvia, Arlovski, Werdum) Pride has 5 IMO but I don't think he wouldfight his brother. So he could only fight 4. He's already beat NOG twice and Hunt once. Barnett and him are saying they are buddies now and might not fight. Kharitanov doesn't seem worthy at the moment, so who's he going to fight? I'm not saying Fedor is on the way, this war of word's is just hyperbole by Dana and Jerry Millen. Still, if Fedor is going to have some new exciting matchups right now , it looks like the UFC would be the place to fight for him.

Ah forgot Werdum left for UFC. I still think he could take all those guys with ease but at least they would be new opponents.

Post #4   2/26/07 5:25:50PM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
i hate to say it, but fedor might MIGHT be the downfall of pride. many consider him unbeatable so thats why they're goin to ufc, see: crocop, werdum

its just a weird theory thats been playing out in my mind.. the domino effect.

Post #5   2/26/07 5:44:26PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:

Posted by loller90278

i hate to say it, but fedor might MIGHT be the downfall of pride. many consider him unbeatable so thats why they're goin to ufc, see: crocop, werdum

its just a weird theory thats been playing out in my mind.. the domino effect.

That's an interesting idea, but I don't think Any of the top 10 , except for Alex, because they are brothers, would turn down a fight with Fedor.

The Iron Code

Post #6   2/26/07 5:46:14PM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:
if Dana says "i'll have Fedor someday"

then he most likely already has him(spoken to him and his manager)

dont you think Fedor wants what Crocop has right now? 350K per fight!!!

Saying Fedor wont have competition in the UFC is bs. Crocop alone is enough competition not to mention everyother fighter hippy mentioned...

besides.....if Fedor dont come to the UFC how am i gonna take Hippy's money for when Chuck knocks him out?

Post #7   2/26/07 6:07:49PM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Like when he said that Chuck would fight Wandy in August?

Post #8   2/26/07 6:59:39PM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:

Posted by Stickan

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Well................................... your right. But who would have thought that The UFC would get Lyoto and Rampage? We all knew the WFA was dead but i didnt think the UFC would get so many contracts. And remember they did get Cro Cop. Probably one of the harder fighters to deal with. Now thats a challenge. Its possible. With Dana you never know what he will pull out of his shoe (he doestn wear hats).

I think it is entirely possible that Dana could get Fedor in 2 years. And if things continue along the same trend i think he will. Hell we might even see Fedor vs Cro Cop 2 in the cage.

Post #9   2/26/07 7:07:24PM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Chips:

Posted by madmarck

Posted by Stickan

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Well................................... your right. But who would have thought that The UFC would get Lyoto and Rampage? We all knew the WFA was dead but i didnt think the UFC would get so many contracts. And remember they did get Cro Cop. Probably one of the harder fighters to deal with. Now thats a challenge. Its possible. With Dana you never know what he will pull out of his shoe (he doestn wear hats).

I think it is entirely possible that Dana could get Fedor in 2 years. And if things continue along the same trend i think he will. Hell we might even see Fedor vs Cro Cop 2 in the cage.

I agree with you and I also think that there is a possibility that they'll get him one day but Dana is known for the hype-talk and I just think that you shouldn't listen too carefully at what he says until it sounds like it's a closed deal.

Post #10   2/26/07 7:19:55PM   

THE_AXE_MURDERER

MMA Regular

THE_AXE_MURDERER Avatar

Career:76-48
Camp: Rascal Fight Team
Chips:
Forum Code of Conduct

Blatant performer bashing (fighters, refs, etc) will not be tolerated. Stating your opinion in a factual, non-profane manner is acceptable. Example: "I don't really like [fighter name]", "I don't agree with the that [referee name] made", etc. Flaming/libel is not acceptable. Example: "[Fighter name] is an utter piece of crap", "F*** [fight promoter]! He/She is a walking turd!", etc.

Last edited 2/27/07 5:58PM server time by zephead
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #11   2/26/07 7:37:55PM   

hathcock32

In Full Mount

hathcock32 Avatar

Career:1,246-781
Camp: Wicked Wizards
Chips:
Dana is right....Gomi over-hyped...Fedor has got many attracting fights it he goes to the UFC all the HW's chuck.....Fedor will go down in his next 5 fights(guaranteed)....who will it be....Im excitied to see see what Lindland can do with him

Post #12   2/26/07 8:05:29PM   

THE_AXE_MURDERER

MMA Regular

THE_AXE_MURDERER Avatar

Career:76-48
Camp: Rascal Fight Team
Chips:

Posted by hathcock32

Dana is right....Gomi over-hyped...Fedor has got many attracting fights it he goes to the UFC all the HW's chuck.....Fedor will go down in his next 5 fights(guaranteed)....who will it be....Im excitied to see see what Lindland can do with him

Gomi over-hyped i seriously hope your kidding.

Post #13   2/26/07 8:15:30PM   

Lay_N_Pray

In Full Mount

Lay_N_Pray Avatar

Career:253-130
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
Gomi was not over-hyped. He is still one of the best in the world in his weight class, but Nick Diaz was better in that fight and deserved to win. With that being said I think Gomi beats 7 out of 10 times.

As for Fedor, I think he would be very open to coming to UFC. He would have a lot of new faces and challenges ahead of him and attract some top fighters to the UFC.

His move to the UFC would also give a guy like Barnett or Nog the chance to win the belt, maybe even Hunt. Or if things got really crazy...Hendo could go for the Triple Crown.

Post #14   2/26/07 8:25:25PM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Chips:
btw. Diaz was on a 3-fight win streak when he got "cut" because he "lost too often."
If I remember correctly UFC just didn't want to match what other companies were willing to pay for him. I wouldn't call that "cut". Diaz himself has stated before he got his contract with Pride that that's where he wants to fight.

Diaz is 6-4 in the UFC with all his losses coming by decision to really tough fighters.

UFC only keeps the best of the best.
Like Elvis Sinosic who's 1-5 in the UFC and 8-9-2 overall. This guy is fighting one of the up n coming stars of the UFC Michael Bisping at UFC 70.

Or their former champ Dave Menne who's 2-4.

Pride has guys like these too but Dana shouldn't be so quick to downplay Diaz´s skills and what he's done for the UFC. He's been in some amazing wars and all of his 4 losses have been highly competitive.

Last edited 2/26/07 11:43PM server time by Stickan
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #15   2/26/07 11:32:39PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2