Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

I just submitted my instructor

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:

Posted by The_Notorious_ZIG

I'll just reiterate what some have already said. Congrats on your first sub. I have also subbed my instructor once......once !!! He on the other hand has subbed me dozens if not 100 times, so its good to keep it in perspective while celebrating your progress.

My instructor has no ego and sees me subbing him as an acheivement on his part for doing a good job teaching. Everytime we roll I feel him testing me, putting me in different situations and seeing how I react.....making me work....see if I'm learning and progressing....most of the time I know he could sub me at anytime....but that would do me no good. Afterwards, he comments on what I did right and what I could have done differently and always has time for questions. I'm pretty fortunate because I hear some instructors at other schools will just destroy students and miss out on teaching opportunities.

There are always those students who may need an ego check and get their ass handed to them before they can really start learning. A good instructor knows how to create that environment.

Great advice..... between that and what omega has posted I already see my own teaching skills improving...

Post #16   6/12/08 2:40:53PM   

grapplersquest

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
nice

Post #17   6/12/08 4:41:32PM   

holt8081

MMA Sensei

holt8081 Avatar

Career:604-346
Chips:
Hell ya thats a big step congrats brotha

Post #18   6/15/08 3:26:28PM   

fedorwins1

MMA Sensei

Career:552-270
Chips:

Posted by Omega

In our gym there are two no no's you don't do to me:
A. Don't jump guard.
B. Don't go for a gogoplata.

I will make you pay every time.

Why no guard jumps?

Post #19   6/19/08 3:26:34PM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:
I think its cause he is old : J/K I think its to avoid uneccassary injuy to himself... though it is a good question...

Post #20   6/19/08 6:15:25PM   

The_Notorious_ZIG

MMA Regular

Career:208-90
Chips:
It might be because in some gyms jumping guard is considered the less aggressive way to get your opponent down to the ground. Some gyms like to go for the throw or take down and have a more aggressive approach to Jujitsu/Grappling.

As for the Gogo....since it is a rare submission he may consider it an insult to go for it against him.....or he has great counters for it.

Just speculating, but those are 2 things that popped in my head. Jumping guard is sometimes smart if you work well from your back and have a good guard ...or you are against an opponent that clearly has better throws or take downs.....it beats getting slammed or thrown on your head.

Last edited 6/20/08 1:12PM server time by the_notorious_zig
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #21   6/20/08 1:11:25PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2