Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

why all the talk about champs moving up and down

Print  
Posted By Message

MFOTHER

In Full Mount

MFOTHER Avatar

Career:1,027-563
Chips:
from silva vs gsp
to bj vs gsp
now sliva to LHW

i dont get why there is so much debate about them moving up. i have no problem with there being a dominant champ.

I have been an mma fan for years, but only been on boards for a few months , and it made me think...was it always like this?

Hughes was a very dominant champ, as was franklin and liddell......even sylvia had a long run.........was there always talk of them moving around in weight classes.........if not..why the sudden change.

I get the bj gsp match as it was really close the first time, but i still think they need to defend a few more times first. (each fighter only became the "offical" champ after their last fights)

ps: i just used big tim as an example, obviously there was no talk about him switchng classes, as he could NEVER make 205......but again chuck was dominant chamo during his run.......was there ever talk abotu him moving up (beofre the recent rumors)

Post #1   6/7/08 8:14:58AM   

stock

Banned

Career:409-235
Chips:
I agree with you man.
I really wish guys would just stay in the weight class that serves them best.

We are definitely in the minority on this site though. Everyone else seems to have a slight case of ADD, and as soon as someone defends their title a couple of times, the boards are flooded with threads about who would win b/w 2 champs and so on.

I would be a happy man if Penn never left LW, GSP never left WW, and Silva never left MW.

Post #2   6/7/08 9:05:47AM   

Qorvus

MMA Regular

Qorvus Avatar

Career:800-410
Chips:
I agree.

Despite his dominance, Silva still only has 3 title defenses. The more he defends, the more other fighters will figure him out. Let him garner 10+ title defenses, then think about moving up a weight class when his legacy is cemented. The same goes for GSP/Penn.

Post #3   6/7/08 9:15:50AM   

williamraysmith

Learning to Sprawl

Career:1,437-958
Chips:
I love to see dominant champs. It brings out the best in the challengers and makes title changes mean more.

Post #4   6/7/08 11:30:54AM   

holt8081

MMA Sensei

holt8081 Avatar

Career:604-346
Chips:
I agree but if the champ is dominant for so long and no new talent comes in then that waight class gets stail and thay need to mix things up.

Post #5   6/7/08 11:38:02AM   

MFOTHER

In Full Mount

MFOTHER Avatar

Career:1,027-563
Chips:

Posted by williamraysmith

I love to see dominant champs. It brings out the best in the challengers and makes title changes mean more.

that fine, and i agree with you... to a point. But i think we are far from that in the UFC
anderson is the closest

Post #6   6/7/08 12:12:48PM