Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

411mania MMA Interview: The EliteXC’s Gary Shaw

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,018-1,645
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
“I had the show on CBS. Dana White watched the show on CBS. That says it all.” –Gary Shaw

Gary Shaw is one of the largest figures behind the up and coming EliteXC company. What many people may not know is that Gary Shaw is no stranger to putting on large-scale successful events as he is also behind the highest grossing boxing match of all time, Mike Tyson vs. Lennox Lewis. Gary Shaw recently took time out to talk with 411mania about the EliteXC, Dana White, and More.

411Mania Mr. Shaw, thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to join 411mania. How are you doing today? Tell us a little about your background that led you into MMA.

Gary Shaw "I'm doing great, thanks for asking. I was a former regulator in New Jersey, a boxing promoter and a big fan of the sport of Mixed Martial Arts."

411Mania First of all you just completed the first Prime Time MMA show the CBS Network. Tell us how you thought it went?

GS "I think it was terrific. The company is happy. CBS is happy. The fighters are happy. We pulled the demographics we wanted and the ratings were great. I think it was the best show it could be. There is always room for improvement. We put the show together in two months."

411Mania A lot of fans of who watched the show thought some of the stoppages were a little premature? What are your opinions on that?

GS "You know, the refs are in the best position to determine when to stop a fight. I agree with their decisions. I would rather stop a fight one punch too soon rather than one punch too late."

411Mania One thing I noticed more than anything on the show was your willingness to pay both Smith and Lawler after their stoppage. This seems like something I wouldn't expect from the UFC. How else are you different from Dana White and the UFC?

GS "Dana White has a huge ego and I don't. It is all about Dana White in the UFC and what he can do to help himself. I care about our fighters and organization more than myself. It just comes down to this Dana White cares about Dana White and I care about our fighters and it paid off. I had the show on CBS and Dana White watched the show on CBS. That says it all."

411Mania I have to say there was no better fight to introduce casual fans to MMA than the Robbie Lawler vs. Scott Smith fight. Can we expect to see a rematch between Lawler and Smith?

GS "I completely agree with that statement. It was everything that is good about MMA. We will absolutely see a rematch between them, probably anywhere between August and October. I hope it will be on CBS but it could be on Showtime."

411Mania Apparently you had some issues at the post fight news conference between Kimbo and Rodgers in which Rodgers stated he saw Kimbo tap. You actually had to physically restrain Kimbo while Phil Baroni restrained Rodgers. What happened? Is there any chance we will see Rodgers vs. Kimbo in the near future?

GS "Rogers started trash talking Kimbo, calling him garbage and everything in front of Kimbo. You just don't do that in front of Kimbo. It got ugly real quick. Robbie Lawler stepped in and helped keep them separated. Those two will get a chance to fight each other in the cage eventually."

411Mania There is a lot of concern that the EliteXC is protecting Kimbo Slice. I think there is only so much protection that can be offered in a fight. What is your response to this statement?

GS"That kind of stuff comes from the 23 blogging haters. The guy has had three fights in his career, not 20 fights. We aren't going to rush him into big matchups when the guy only has three fights. Those comments come from those bloggers. We had six million people watch the show. You don't have six million bloggers on your site. Kimbo is the number one most recognizable face in MMA and that is why they are hating on him. They are just jealous. The guy is the greatest striker in the world. "

Stink

Last edited 6/6/08 12:25PM server time by grappler0000
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   6/6/08 12:23:39PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,018-1,645
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

411Mania There is a lot of concern that the EliteXC is protecting Kimbo Slice. I think there is only so much protection that can be offered in a fight. What is your response to this statement?

GS"That kind of stuff comes from the 23 blogging haters. The guy has had three fights in his career, not 20 fights. We aren't going to rush him into big matchups when the guy only has three fights. Those comments come from those bloggers. We had six million people watch the show. You don't have six million bloggers on your site. Kimbo is the number one most recognizable face in MMA and that is why they are hating on him. They are just jealous. THE GUY IS THE GREATEST STRIKER IN THE WORLD. "

I'm truly speechless!

Post #2   6/6/08 12:28:15PM   

xxdeadpoolxx

MMA Regular

xxdeadpoolxx Avatar

Career:890-595
Camp: Rocky Mountain Wrecking Crew
Chips:
Shaw is worse then Dana and almost put me to sleep in the pre fight press conference at least Dana is interesting. # 1 striker in the world? this guy is delusional. Kimbo could not even put down Thompson who has a very questionable chin. rogers should knock him out in October.

Post #3   6/6/08 12:31:54PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,675-1,417
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
shaw is just a boxing promoter than is trying to cash in on mma
kimbo best striker in the world
hey i can beat the hell out of some people on the internet too
would that make me the best in the world??
the more i hear his mouth not only is he worst than dana but he is just gonna bring down the elite xc

Post #4   6/6/08 12:49:24PM   

The_hungry_lumberjack

MMA Regular

The_hungry_lumberjack Avatar

Career:263-169
Camp: Purebred Fight Team
Chips:
Greatest striker in the world... minus all that bad technique, hands dropping, no kicks and zero conditioning.... Ya. Greatest in the world for sure.

With my 1/4 year of MMA training I should be ranked #23 on the 50 best strikers in the world list

Anderson Silva drunk with no training camp at the weight he has to weigh in at would kill Kimbo.

Post #5   6/6/08 12:57:51PM   

decken

Standup Guy

decken Avatar

Career:471-314
Chips:
"411Mania There is a lot of concern that the EliteXC is protecting Kimbo Slice. I think there is only so much protection that can be offered in a fight. What is your response to this statement?

GS"That kind of stuff comes from the 23 blogging haters. The guy has had three fights in his career, not 20 fights. We aren't going to rush him into big matchups when the guy only has three fights. Those comments come from those bloggers. We had six million people watch the show. You don't have six million bloggers on your site. Kimbo is the number one most recognizable face in MMA and that is why they are hating on him. They are just jealous. THE GUY IS THE GREATEST STRIKER IN THE WORLD. "

THE GREATEST STRIKER IN THE WORLD........ I don't know if I should laugh my ass off or cry. How delusional is Gary Shaw. I mean come on......There is hyping your fighters up but this is just pathetic. It took Kimbo three rounds with JT to not knock him out!!! While fighters in his own organization KO him in the first!!!!!! Then in the same paragraph he claims that Kimbo hasn't had any big match ups because he is inexperienced, needs to be built up. banghead:

Post #6   6/6/08 1:03:38PM   

imanidiot777

In Full Mount

imanidiot777 Avatar

Career:383-265
Chips:
I wish the UFC would do ONE, JUST ONE, co-promotion so they can put their worst heavyweight against Kimbo Slice and watch him get KO'd, I wonder what Gary Shaw would say then or is he so delusional that he would think Kimbo won the round even though he lost? Justin McCully, Eddie Sanchez, not sure who is considered the lower end of the UFC heavyweights, but they'd all knock Kimbo's head off, even Brock Lesnar would knock Kimbo's head off since he has no ground game either.

His stand-up clearly was NOT that good against JT. That was the only thing people thought he had going for him but his punches are so not technical and they stopped being powerful after the first round. He gassed so fast I couldn't believe it and has the nerve to say he was in shape.

Last edited 6/6/08 1:13PM server time by imanidiot777
Edit note/reason: n/a
3 total post edits

Post #7   6/6/08 1:09:37PM   

thatfedorsohotrightnow

banned

Career:142-108
Chips:
Gary Shaw is the Satanic offspring of Jaba The Hutt and Bob Arum. He was nannied by Don King and his Uncle that took him fishing was Hitler.

He has now dethroned DW for epicly stupid quote of all time.

Old winner, Fedor isn't even top 5.

New Champ, Kimbo is top striker in world.

How can you be a top MMA striker with out kicks?

UFC NEEDS to have a network deal ASAP.

Post #8   6/6/08 1:26:10PM   

kaduey

In Full Mount

kaduey Avatar

Career:1,537-829
Chips:
Dear Gary Shaw,

I can't stand listening to this guy talk. He knows nothing about mma. Choke on a pork chop!

Post #9   6/6/08 2:11:25PM   

Muay-Thai_Mogwai

MMA Regular

Muay-Thai_Mogwai Avatar

Career:1,334-846
Chips:
**** gary shaw and his Elite xtreme Circus, cause thats what the mainstream i labeling it. Kimbo is not mma he's an over hyped freak show, that dont have shit for KO power. Its a shame that true talent is not even recognized(with the exception of the foundation of mma, the hardcore fans).

Post #10   6/6/08 2:37:09PM   

teddythetuna

In Full Mount

teddythetuna Avatar

Career:1,164-752
Chips:
99% of the lightweights in mma could kick the sh*t out of Kimbo. throw him in there with torres, who fights at an even lower weight, and i bet he would get ko'd by a head kick

Post #11   6/6/08 2:40:16PM   

Sam_Rothstein

Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Career:950-555
Chips:
I definately wouldnt say kimbo is the best striker in the world

his grappling, cardio, jiu jitsu, wrestling and ground defense are enough to make sure he would be an easy win for even a bottom feeder in the ufc heavyweight division

but in the same breath of air, i think in a stand up fight he would beat any ufc heavyweight there is at the moment

his chin is iron and his hands are dynamite

::Let the flaming begin::

Post #12   6/6/08 6:37:38PM   

imanidiot777

In Full Mount

imanidiot777 Avatar

Career:383-265
Chips:

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

his grappling, cardio, jiu jitsu, wrestling and ground defense are enough to make sure he would be an easy win for even a bottom feeder in the ufc heavyweight division

but in the same breath of air, i think in a stand up fight he would beat any ufc heavyweight there is at the moment

Flame time, while standing up: Nog would out-box Kimbo any day, Vera could out-strike Kimbo any day, Carwin would out-box Kimbo any day. That's three right off the top of my head, this "amazing striker" couldn't even knock out JT for 2 rounds when he has a suspect chin and is usually easy meat.

Post #13   6/6/08 6:56:51PM   

thatfedorsohotrightnow

banned

Career:142-108
Chips:

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

Kimbo has never Knocked out a single opponent, street or sanctioned.

He has some TKO's but nobody goes to sleep.

Tank was up faster in his loss to Kimbo than Kimbo was up from his "win" over JT.

Kimbo's power=myth

Post #14   6/6/08 7:04:59PM   

Sam_Rothstein

Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Career:950-555
Chips:
JT's chin only got tested in the 3rd round when kimbos horrible stamina kicked in

The first and second round JT did a good job of keeping kimbo on the ground and against the cage.

If he would of came out swinging like he did with Don Frye or even Brett Rodgers then kimbo would of put him to sleep.

It was a smart game plan for thompson, it just didnt pan out.

Post #15   6/13/08 6:55:42PM