Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Miguel Torres welcomes WEC rematch with Yoshiro Maeda

Print  
Posted By Message

CantAndleDaRiddum

I Got My Black Belt in MMA

CantAndleDaRiddum Avatar

Career:299-192
Chips:
Days after successfully defending his WEC bantamweight title for the first time, Miguel Torres (34-1) can't wait to step back in the cage for another war with the man he defeated Sunday night, Yoshiro Maeda (23-5-2)

Torres reflected on the bout while a guest on Tuesday's edition of TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com), a content partner of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

"He's a guy that I would love to fight again," Torres said about Maeda. "We're going to have to fight again, for the fans' and for our sakes. He didn't want the fight to stop. He's a warrior, and he wanted to keep going. He just couldn't see out of his eye. We'll for sure have to do it again in the future."

While the Urijah Faber-Jens Pulver main event received the bulk of the promotion and attention heading into WEC 34, Torres and Maeda put on an exciting back-and-forth battle that some are saying deserves to be considered among the best of the year. Torres eventually earned the victory when Maeda's battered and swollen right eye forced the cage-side doctor to put a halt to the action at the conclusion of the third round.

Torres explained that, though the fight did not go as expected, the Indiana native was pleased with the outcome.

"The fight didn't go the way I planned it," Torres said. "I knew it was going to be a war. I wanted it to be a little bit more cleaner fight than that, but my emotions got the better of me. [Maeda] cut me real early in the fight, and I just kind of went crazy after that, man. My whole game plan went out the window until the third round. It was an exciting fight, just a little sloppy in the beginning. But the fans really liked it, and I was happy to be able to defend my belt in such a style like that."link

Post #1   6/5/08 1:35:01PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I think torres is going to have to fight Manny first then go from there with the maeda fight.

Post #2   6/5/08 1:47:51PM   

CantAndleDaRiddum

I Got My Black Belt in MMA

CantAndleDaRiddum Avatar

Career:299-192
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I think torres is going to have to fight Manny first then go from there with the maeda fight.

ditto........he also owes Manny that fight IMO & im sure he would prolly agree w/ that

hell Torres vs Tapia has potential to be just as good, if not better

Post #3   6/5/08 2:07:13PM   

roman

Standup Guy

roman Avatar

Career:679-391
Chips:
He put a whoopin on Maeda, great fight but I don't see why they would do it again.

Post #4   6/5/08 4:33:41PM   

wolfman

On the Banned Team...

wolfman Avatar

Career:550-229
Chips:

Posted by roman

He put a whoopin on Maeda, great fight but I don't see why they would do it again.

Yeah, but Maeda held his own for the most part imo. I personally think that when Torres does fight Tapia he will destroy him. Torres by 1st or 2nd round TKO/Submission.

Last edited 6/5/08 5:38PM server time by wolfman
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   6/5/08 5:37:40PM