Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

James Thompson speaks out against the New Jersey Athletic Control Board and possible favortism towards Kimbo Slice

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Porch28

BANNED

Porch28 Avatar

Career:506-292
Chips:
FiveOuncesOfPain.com contacted James Thompson via phone at his home in England on Wednesday and he granted us an exclusive interview. During the interview, Thompson was candid about his feelings regarding his main event fight vs. Kimbo Slice during the debut of “Saturday Night Fights” on CBS. Thompson held nothing back and addressed all the questions we had pertaining to his fight vs. Slice.

LINK

Last edited 6/4/08 10:03PM server time by porch28
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   6/4/08 10:02:55PM   

FrankTheTank1181

Standup Guy

FrankTheTank1181 Avatar

Career:1,487-880
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Did anyone else find themselves reading that interview with a british accent??

Post #2   6/4/08 10:32:01PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,553-840
Chips:
JT's got a seriously legit beef here. He was hosed pretty bad in this whole deal. But on the flip side he could have just as easily been the hero of every fan on this site had he taken any of his 37 oppertunities to GO TO THE MOUND FOR CHRIST'S SAKE and end this hole friggin circus earlier in the fight.

In the end, XC got exactly what they wanted, another notch in the belt of Kimbo the circus clown. Now Gary Shaw can promote him as a "battle tested MMA vet who has been in the trenches."

We all know the trenches are crooked, and lined with pure bullshit. But I'd say the majority f the CBS audiance will never know the difference. After saterday night, I'd say our chances of a bout with Big Country are gone. They can't afford another debacle like that.

I'm giving Kimbozo six months. With any luck, by then he'll be an after thought.

Post #3   6/4/08 10:36:16PM   

wolfman

On the Banned Team...

wolfman Avatar

Career:550-229
Chips:

Posted by FrankTheTank1181

Did anyone else find themselves reading that interview with a british accent??

LMAO No, but I will re-read the interview and try it again in a British accent.

Good interview btw! JT was robbed, Kimbo was not intelligently defending himself in the 2nd round...

Last edited 6/4/08 10:39PM server time by wolfman

Post #4   6/4/08 10:38:08PM   

thatfedorsohotrightnow

banned

Career:142-108
Chips:
This whole fight stinks of some shady shat. Eric Colon (fitting) giving Kimbo 10-9 in 2nd with another judge giving it 10-8 to Thompson. How many MMA fights get stopped with a guy standing? Not against the ropes/cage but fully standing. Please some one tell me.

Post #5   6/4/08 10:42:46PM   

wolfman

On the Banned Team...

wolfman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by thatfedorsohotrightnow

This whole fight stinks of some shady shat. Eric Colon (fitting) giving Kimbo 10-9 in 2nd with another judge giving it 10-8 to Thompson. How many MMA fights get stopped with a guy standing? Not against the ropes/cage but fully standing. Please some one tell me.

Not many, but if my mind serves me right the Belcher/Day fight was finished standing and there is a couple more that seem to slip my brain right now..... Yet, the amount is MINIMAL and that stoppage was justified...

Last edited 6/4/08 10:48PM server time by wolfman
Edit note/reason: stupid shit typos
2 total post edits

Post #6   6/4/08 10:45:13PM   

thatfedorsohotrightnow

banned

Chips:

Posted by wolfman

Not many, but if my mind serves me right the Belcher/Day fight was finished standing and there is a couple more that seem to slip my brain right now..... Yet, the amount is MINIMAL and that stoppage was justified...

And your thoughts on the scoring?

Post #7   6/5/08 12:11:19AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,763-1,032
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by FrankTheTank1181

Did anyone else find themselves reading that interview with a british accent?? [/QUOTE

I did.......

Post #8   6/5/08 12:17:34AM   

Mchubb316

MMA Sensei

Mchubb316 Avatar

Career:838-517
Camp: Strikers Inc.
Chips:
Good interview. Thompson seems like a pretty inteligent guy. I like how at the end he said there were a few bad stops in some good fights, and it was bad for "MMA". If it comes out at all that there was some sort of fight fixing with EliteXC and the referee's, this will be not only a big blow to Gary Shaw and EliteXC's credentials, and future, bad extemely bad for MMA as a whole. The people who have worked hard to legitimize MMA in this country will have a hard time explaining this, and people will have a hard time taking the sport seriously.

Post #9   6/5/08 12:42:30AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,763-1,032
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Mchubb316

Good interview. Thompson seems like a pretty inteligent guy. I like how at the end he said there were a few bad stops in some good fights, and it was bad for "MMA". If it comes out at all that there was some sort of fight fixing with EliteXC and the referee's, this will be not only a big blow to Gary Shaw and EliteXC's credentials, and future, bad extemely bad for MMA as a whole. The people who have worked hard to legitimize MMA in this country will have a hard time explaining this, and people will have a hard time taking the sport seriously.

Although what JT says seems to ring true, I wonder if he gets another fight in Elite XC after Gary Shaw reads all of his recent interviews.

Post #10   6/5/08 12:45:35AM   

wolfman

On the Banned Team...

wolfman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by wolfman

And your thoughts on the scoring?

My bad if you miss understood me, as I can see why. What I meant is I thought the stoppage of the Day/Belcher fight was justified. Whereas, I agree that the stoppage for the JT/Kimbo fight was crap and the scoring was ridiculous, how could one of the judges give the 2nd round to Kimbo??

Post #11   6/5/08 12:48:48AM   

thatfedorsohotrightnow

banned

Chips:
I wish they woulda asked if he got his win bonus. I doubt it.

Post #12   6/5/08 12:52:49AM   

bustin_mma

Standup Guy

bustin_mma Avatar

Career:1,489-869
Camp: Kame House
Chips:
Yes that fight was conducted horribly, and Thompson should do somthing cause it was just wrong what they did to him

Post #13   6/5/08 1:28:42AM   

Mchubb316

MMA Sensei

Mchubb316 Avatar

Career:838-517
Camp: Strikers Inc.
Chips:

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by Mchubb316

Although what JT says seems to ring true, I wonder if he gets another fight in Elite XC after Gary Shaw reads all of his recent interviews.

I wouldn't think so, unless Gary Shaw gives him a fight to try and make up for the Kimbo debacle. My question would be if Shaw offered him a fight, would he take it?

Post #14   6/5/08 2:08:50AM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,329-737
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Sam Caplan: During the second round, you had Kimbo on the ground and you had his arm trapped in a crucifix. By certain counts, there was anywhere between 20-22 unanswered strikes delivered on your part to Kimbo. Do you feel the fight should have been stopped?

James Thompson: Yeah. Really, when it’s all said and done, basically if a fighter is unable to answer or improve his position, then a fight gets stopped. I just feel — and this is a gut instinct — but that if I was on the bottom and the roles were reversed, then the fight would have been stopped after 10, 11. That’s just the way I feel, maybe I am wrong. I don’t know, I just get that feeling.

Not only that, but I had the referee telling me he was going to stand it up if I didn’t keep working hard. But at the time, I was elbowing. I thought, what are you talking about, I’ve got his arm pinned? I’ve got his other arm locked down and I’m elbowing him. I’m throwing elbows and you’re telling me you possibly might stand it up? You don’t know what to think when something like that’s going on.

Sam Caplan: The Shaws seem very closely aligned to Kimbo. I spoke to writers in press row who had mention in great detail that Jared Shaw, a Vice President with EliteXC was yelling at Dan Miragliotta in the second round to stand the fight up. Then, when the fight was over, Jared Shaw was one of the first people, if not the first person, to run into the cage to congratulate Kimbo. Do you feel like there was favoritism on the part of the promoter towards Kimbo?

After reading this I feel sick. You know I was hoping this fight was just a case of bad judgment by the Ref and some others but after reading this interview and the interview Young gave I think this fight was fixed. There is just to much stuff pointing to a worked fight.

Lets look at some of the things that were SHADY that night.

In Young's fight the doctor cleared her to keep fighting from what her, her corner, and a few press members said but the commission over ruled the doctor even though it breaks their own rules. Then when asked later the doctor said he never cleared her even after many many people said he did. SHADY

Then JT vs Kimbo fight you have Kimbo getting taken down and JT gets him in side control and the ref stands it up not even a min of being on the ground. The hole time the VP of elite (Gary Shaw's son) is yelling for the ref to stand it up. SHADY

Then JT takes him down again and gets him in a crucifix and is throwing hammer fist and elbows for over a min with out Kimbo defending any of them and the fight is not only not stopped but JT is threatened to be stood up. On top of all this one of the Judges scored the round in Kimbo's favor even though everyone else thought the fight should have been stopped. VERY SHADY

Then in the 3rd the ref is almost standing behind JT and sees him get rocked and jumps in and stops the fight. Even though JT had been rocked in the 1st and 2nd and turned it around both times. SHADY

Then at the press conference Gary Shaw says JT is being rushed to the hospital because he is having breathing issues, Is not well at all, and we should pray for him. Not 2 mins later JT walks in to the press conference just fine drink a energy drink. We find out that back stage people for elite were trying to pressure JT in to going to the hospital. You think just maybe they were doing this to justify the bad stoppage. SHADY

I'm so glad JT is taking the issue to the NJAC but the fact is they wont do anything. Its up to the press and us as fans to make sure this doesn't happen anymore.

Posted by Mchubb316

Gary Shaw's credentials have been bad since around 1998. He was accused not only by some press but also fans for fixing some boxing matches. In fact one of the major boxing mags back then straight up said he had fixed fights. I will see if I can find that mag online and will post it.

Last edited 6/5/08 3:07AM server time by telnights

Post #15   6/5/08 3:04:08AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2