Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFC 85: MARQUARDT EYEING LEITES, TITLE SHOT

Print  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
Hopefully Thales Leites is avoiding black cats and walking under ladders this week. He is scheduled to face Nathan Marquardt Saturday night in London at UFC 85, a bout that has been in the works for more than a year and a half. But due to issues regarding attaining a visa and injuries, both previously scheduled dates for this fight have fallen apart.

Mere days away, it looks as if this time Marquardt vs. Leites will finally happen, pitting two of the top middleweights in the Ultimate Fighting Championship against each other.

Leites has a strong background in competitive jiu-jitsu and enters the Octagon at the O2 Arena with a 12-1 professional record in mixed martial arts. His only loss in the UFC was in his promotional debut, dropping a decision to Martin Kampmann. He has since won three straight.

The only seven-time King of Pancrase in Japan and with more than 30 professional bouts to his credit, Marquardt has gone 5-1 in the UFC, his only misstep being a TKO loss to current middleweight champion Anderson Silva.

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   6/4/08 7:31:17PM   

89vision

In Full Mount

Career:98-46
Chips:
i think leites will take this one, if horn can almost omaplata nate i gotta give leites a better chance, either way i dont think nate should be anywhere close to a title shot, bisping is closer after only beating chainsaw IMO

Post #2   6/4/08 7:40:35PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by 89vision

i think leites will take this one, if horn can almost omaplata nate i gotta give leites a better chance, either way i dont think nate should be anywhere close to a title shot, bisping is closer after only beating chainsaw IMO

It was a gogoplata, and Marquardt is going to dominate Leites. He's much stronger, better wrestler, and has great jiu jitsu. I see Marquardt getting another title shot within a year and giving Anderson Silva his best fight to date in the UFC.

Post #3   6/4/08 8:33:48PM   

89vision

In Full Mount

Chips:

Posted by gartface

Posted by 89vision

It was a gogoplata, and Marquardt is going to dominate Leites. He's much stronger, better wrestler, and has great jiu jitsu. I see Marquardt getting another title shot within a year and giving Anderson Silva his best fight to date in the UFC.

it was an omaplata attempt, and wont you look stupid if your wrong..

Post #4   6/4/08 8:43:11PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,510-1,592
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I don't think he would have earned #1 Contender after beating Horn and Lietes....sorry but a title shot loss followed by 2 wins isn't enough IMO in that division. Not now at least....a year ago it was much different!! How about 4-5 wins....try Leben, Bisping, Almeida....all good opponents who deserve the chance to rise up the ladder too. The list could go on!

Post #5   6/4/08 8:43:19PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Chips:

Posted by 89vision

Posted by gartface

Posted by 89vision

1st round :32 left Joe Rogan "Look at that! Gogoplata!...he has an omaplata." My bad he kept switching back and forth.

Post #6   6/4/08 9:32:53PM   

89vision

In Full Mount

Chips:

Posted by gartface

Posted by 89vision

Posted by gartface

Posted by 89vision

1st round :32 left Joe Rogan "Look at that! Gogoplata!...he has an omaplata." My bad he kept switching back and forth.

i meant about picking marquardt, you would look stupid if you were wrong about the pick, saying hes better at everything

Post #7   6/4/08 9:48:38PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Chips:

Posted by 89vision
i meant about picking marquardt, you would look stupid if you were wrong about the pick, saying hes better at everything

I think that Leites has better jiu jitsu, but Marquardt is also great at it, and can probably neutralize it and use his strength to with the fight.

Post #8   6/4/08 9:56:32PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,339-1,246
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i think okami gets next shot then maybe

marquadt against bisping or even cote for next shot

Post #9   6/4/08 10:46:20PM   

bigbubbano23

MMA Sensei

bigbubbano23 Avatar

Career:317-197
Camp: Xtreme Couture
Chips:
nate def has this one. i think it will be a great fight, but nate is so much more well rounded. i say 2rd tko

Post #10   6/4/08 11:47:00PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,782-1,038
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by bigbubbano23

nate def has this one. i think it will be a great fight, but nate is so much more well rounded. i say 2rd tko

I would agree with a second round finish for nate and then maybe he gets the next shot after Okami, IF he beats someone like Leben in his next fight that is.....

Post #11   6/5/08 12:23:49AM