Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Open Letter From Brett Rogers Concerning The Kimbo Controversy

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,803-1,547
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
An Open letter to all

On behalf of Brett Rogers, Team Bison and everyone representing our camp: we would like to clarify a few issues that may be mis- interrupted by the press and the many many message boards.

First we would like to start out by once again thanking Gary Shaw and Elite XC. Elite is our home and it is where we hope to be for a long time. They treat their fighters great. More then the day to day treatment of the fighters they are interested in developing fighters and making long term commitments to their fighters. Unlike other promotions who have a tradition of “one and done” and cancelling contracts without notice; Elite is standing by their fighters. We are proud to be with the organization that brought back Yves, Sammy and Phil when others wrote them off. We were proud to be part of an organization that gave James Thompson a chance at redemption (and in our mind earned another chance on Saturday!). Elite gave us an amazing opportunity to bring aboard great sponsors who could really get their money’s worth.

We really believe in Elite and hope to bring more of our fighters up through their ranks. We do not want anyone to think for a second we are ungrateful, angry or otherwise disappointed with Gary Shaw, Elite, Showtime or CBS. And no; we have not been forced or threatened to say this and anyone who thinks we could be does not know Team Bison. Simply put; we will always speak our minds and will not be intimidated; which brings us to the Kimbo situation.

Brett had won 6 fight before coming to Elite. He struggled on the local circuit to find fights. He was pretty much avoided from day 1. The guys he fought simply provided zero competition and he put them all away early. When he fought for the regional title he fought a guy who was 10-1 and suppose to be this great striker. Brett KO’d him in under 10 seconds. We went to Hawaii where despite changing the rules as we stepped through the ropes and again during the fight; Brett KO’d his opponent. Finally we got to go BIG and face serious competition in Elite XC in Texas. The main event on that show was Kimbo Slice vs Bo Cantrall. Bo is a sub .500 fighter who was on a 4 fight losing streak when he got the call to come to Elite. On that show Brett faced Ralph Kelly who a decent up and comer with a good amateur record. Brett had a tougher opponent but got less money and a on the Under Card...

Read the Entire Letter

Post #1   6/4/08 11:52:55AM   

snakeplissken

Standup Guy

snakeplissken Avatar

Career:1,726-1,203
Camp: BAMMA UK
Chips:
Or how to insite Dana White to a verbal sparring session.

Post #2   6/4/08 12:05:11PM   

The_Italian_Stallion

Standup Guy

The_Italian_Stallion Avatar

Career:588-346
Camp: Ultimate
Chips:
I think that we need to just stop talking about the stupid EliteXC event... maybe then I can forget about the abomination.

Post #3   6/4/08 12:06:41PM   

bullettdodger

BANNED

bullettdodger Avatar

Career:332-207
Chips:
Interesting letter... perhaps some PR spin was needed... personally, if this was Dana i think he'd tell Rogers and team Bison to suck it and fight whoever he is told for how ever much he wants to pay him or he is cut... i don't know most of the letter comes off as whining justification for things said. There are also a lot of backhanded comments and compliments. It is well written but unfortunately for Brett Rogers you don't always get what ya want. I'd certainly be down to see him fight Big Foot though. The main part that bothers me about this is when they us the fact that Shaw is marketing Kimbo so much more and as a "better fighter" to try and induce a match between the two, when he knows damn well kimbo is just a beginner...and Brett would destroy him right now. I agree Kimbo shouldn't get top billing, but again thats just Team Bison whining about things that are beyond they're control

Post #4   6/4/08 12:15:23PM   

teddythetuna

In Full Mount

teddythetuna Avatar

Career:1,164-752
Chips:
I agree with most of what he said. Kimbo is a fighter who is learning right now so why pay him the most money and treat him like a champion to fight cans. and why have a main event between a guy just starting out and a guy that lost to brett. i understand its about ratings and money but i agree with what he said.

Post #5   6/4/08 12:32:08PM   

thatfedorsohotrightnow

banned

Career:142-108
Chips:
Roger made more news that night when he told it like it was and called out Kimbo Slice. Quote from his website.

The man's webpage can't get his name right. That letter is rambling and just horrible. Kimbo didn't tap. The dude needs to be quite and fight who they say. He claims to be #1 EXC HW so let him fight Silva for the belt. Then when Kimbo is ready, as Rogers says repeatedly, we can have a "super" fight.

PS That webpage looks like it was made last week by a middle schooler. A very smart middle schooler I will say.

Post #6   6/4/08 1:11:24PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,460-1,306
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
rogers would kill kimbo
like i said elite xc is protecting their star
i think the ufc should grab rogers,
he will never be in the spot light and would not face kimbo this year at least

Post #7   6/4/08 1:13:42PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
The guy's got a good point... I would be frustrated as well, if I was confident in my skills but not given the chance to prove them... While playing second fiddle to a lesser fighter (that seems to be how Rogers sees it)...

Don't see how they can say that Kimbo's their best HW, and then not say that he's ready to fight Rogers... What's that even mean? And if Shaw's so confident in his standup, why not put him in there with Rogers who's a standup fighter himself?

Post #8   6/4/08 1:37:02PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,384-764
Chips:
Well some will say they are just whining but I think he has a very legitimate gripe. This hole thing has a lot to do with respect. The fact that Gary Shaw says Kimbo is the best HW every chance he gets but he has done nothing but fight lower competition (most would say freak show fights) and large number of MMA community think his last fight was fixed. So out of Kimbo's last 3 fights 2 have ended with some people saying it was a work. The hole time the other fighters in EliteXC were facing much tougher competition without people questioning the legitimacy of their wins yet Shaw and EltieXC were still saying Kimbo is there number 1 HW even going as far to say Kimbo would beat any HW in the UFC. So not only where they paying him more(not that big of deal because he he is a big draw) and giving him the main events(this is a big deal doesn't matter how big of a draw you are he should have never been billed above a title fight) but also saying he was better than guys that every real MMA fan knows would kill Kimbo in a fight. Just making him the main event above a title fight is very disrespectful to your fighters and finally someone is standing up and saying enough is a enough put up or shut up.

Post #9   6/4/08 1:59:04PM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:
Rogers should have been the one fighting Kimbo instead of Thompson, but Rogers would have owned Kimbo so Shaw wont let that happen....

Post #10   6/4/08 2:00:42PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Is there currently a HW champ in Elite XC?

Post #11   6/4/08 2:10:00PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
Retarded -

Everybody knows why Kimbo is making the big bucks even though he has less experience.

Same reason Brock gets paid better than other fighters that might be better or more experienced or both.

He should keep knocking people out and he'll get the opportunity to fight Silva or Kimbo.

Post #12   6/4/08 2:12:10PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,803-1,547
Chips:

Posted by postman

Is there currently a HW champ in Elite XC?

No, they've been discussing putting together a title match for it, but nothing has come to fruition just yet.

Post #13   6/4/08 2:15:57PM   

scpd400

MMA Regular

scpd400 Avatar

Career:1,654-1,164
Camp: Team Topaz
Chips:
All I have heard for the past few months was kimbo this and kimbo that. As I watched Kimbo fight that crazy saturday night I knew all the hype was just that "hype". KIMBO sucks and I think I could whoop his ass. Brett would kill him and that would be the end of KIMBO. and the end to elite xc. they better start putting stock in another fighter because kimbo is not going to last.

Post #14   6/4/08 2:52:09PM   

CantAndleDaRiddum

I Got My Black Belt in MMA

CantAndleDaRiddum Avatar

Career:299-192
Chips:
Rogers would be a nice add to the ufc less than impressive HW division

Post #15   6/4/08 3:02:30PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2