Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Tito Ortiz plans to launch own fight promotion

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,690-1,487
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Tito Ortiz, a former UFC light heavyweight champion who's likely concluded his service to the organization, expects to launch his own fight promotion and co-promote shows with some of the sport's already established organizations.

Ortiz, who's currently promoting his new autobiography "This is Gonna Hurt," briefly mentioned his plans while a guest on today's Howard Stern Show.

Ortiz, who fulfilled the terms of his UFC contract after suffering a unanimous-decision loss to Lyoto Machida at UFC 84, also criticized the UFC's pay scale and took a swipe at his recent opponent during the interview.

When asked about the UFC, Ortiz said he was "moving to a bigger and better company." When asked which one, he said he plans to launch his own.

"I'll be doing my own promotions and I'll possibly be co-promoting with some other companies already in the business," he said.

However, when asked about fighting on CBS (which has a deal with EliteXC), the 33-year-old said it was "possible."

Ortiz, who made $210,000 in his latest fight (according to the Nevada State Athletic Commission and Ortiz himself), estimated that UFC fighters are making only "about three percent" of the UFC's per-event take "if they're lucky." He said that prompted his decision to get in the fight-promotion business.

As for his latest fight, Ortiz said the UFC knowingly scheduled an opponent that would "run away from me for three rounds."

"There were a few times when I was like, 'Come on, man. Don't puss out. Let's fight,'" Ortiz said.

Bobblehead

Post #1   6/3/08 4:58:16PM   

Gipper

RIP Evan Tanner 1971-2008

Gipper Avatar

Career:214-126
Chips:
saw this coming. good for tito.

Post #2   6/3/08 5:29:57PM   

teddythetuna

In Full Mount

teddythetuna Avatar

Career:1,164-752
Chips:
All Tito had to do was go after Machida and not let up. He could have tried a little harder IMO to take him down but couldnt do anything with Machida. Its his own fault for not going after Machida. Oh and cause Machida RULES A**HOLES. Dont call the man who just owned you a pussy. Good for him on the fight promotion though

Post #3   6/3/08 6:08:33PM   

Mchubb316

MMA Sensei

Mchubb316 Avatar

Career:838-517
Camp: Strikers Inc.
Chips:
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Tito is a pretty smart business man, and seems to have made a friend in Donald Trump. I don't think financial backing will be a problem. Getting fighters to fight for his promotion might be more of a challenge though.

Post #4   6/3/08 6:11:48PM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:
What a joke....Tito is such a crybaby.....Maybe Tito should have had a better game plan to fight Machidas unorthodox style instead of always blaming other people for his losses......

Post #5   6/3/08 6:47:39PM   

thesteven5918

Learning to Sprawl

Career:164-110
Chips:
Machida is a bitch for backing against tito... he should have brought it to tito and put a show on for the fans u can still fight smart and do something...... but backing away is not doing something..... tito pressured now HE die something..... Tito won that fight as far as the promotion hes a business man so he gots this but u got to be expecting a few of his first shows to be headlined none other than himself.............

Post #6   6/3/08 7:11:40PM   

roman

Standup Guy

roman Avatar

Career:679-391
Chips:
What he says about Lyoto is wrong, rematch him and see what will happen. I also gurantee Henderson would have taken it to him, but in a true beat down fashion. So thank the UFC they matched you up against one of their up and coming fighters.

Post #7   6/3/08 7:14:22PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,255-1,187
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I'm anxious to see how much money Tito pays his fighters.

This should be good...and probably won't last.

Post #8   6/3/08 8:59:11PM   

lordicast

MMA Regular

lordicast Avatar

Career:300-205
Camp: Boxing Is Dead
Chips:

Posted by thesteven5918

Machida is a bitch for backing against tito... he should have brought it to tito and put a show on for the fans u can still fight smart and do something...... but backing away is not doing something..... tito pressured now HE die something..... Tito won that fight as far as the promotion hes a business man so he gots this but u got to be expecting a few of his first shows to be headlined none other than himself.............

Its called fighting smart, somthing your boy tito never does...

Post #9   6/3/08 10:44:10PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,174-1,480
Chips:

Ortiz said the UFC knowingly scheduled an opponent that would "run away from me for three rounds."

I like Tito a lot and at one time he was my favorite fighter but sometimes he should stop talking.
He has more BS than a farm.
Once again Dana White is right....everyone thinks they can do it better themselves.
Good luck Tweeto.

Post #10   6/3/08 10:48:05PM