Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Marcus Davis is the Nostradamus of MMA

Print  
Who will win?
Swick 11 31%
Davis 25 69%
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,020-1,645
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
When Britain can’t beat Marcus Davis, that’s when “Britain Adopts Marcus Davis.” Or at least that’s what the UK Sun’s headline read after Marcus Davis KO’d Liverpool’s Jason Tan in Belfast, Ireland, at UFC 72, submitted Walsall’s Paul Taylor in UFC 75 at the O2 Arena, and knocked out London-based Jess Liaudin at UFC 80 in Newcastle. This Saturday, Davis will hop the pond for the fourth time in as many fights to take on Mike “Quick” Swick at UFC 85 in London, in what has finally become friendly confines for the Maine native.

“Swick’s going into my backyard,” Davis says, “because I’ve already been there, I’ve fought there—I’m very comfortable there. Not that I’m thinking that’s going to affect him. I mean, it’s never affected me to go into anyone’s back yard, and I’ve done it a lot. I’ve always been the bad guy. I fought on a Marine base [against Shonie Carter] and he was a Marine. I fought Pete Spratt in Houston, he was from Houston. I fought Paul Taylor in London, he was from England. I’ve always fought guys in their hometowns, and I’ve always beaten them. But Swick’s going over there, and he’s going to be the outsider.”

Whether or not his adopted hometown fans will come to his aid, one thing that seems inevitable is that pairing Mike “Quick” Swick and Marcus “The Irish Hand Grenade” Davis will make for a super-charged war with plenty of immediate action. In all three of the aforementioned overseas fights, Davis won in the first round. In 2007 alone, Davis stole the show by earning four post-fight bonuses for knockout, submission and fight of the night. Of his eleven straight victories dating back to April of 2006, only two of those fights have gone the distance, and eight of them never made it past the opening round. In other words, Davis works fast. One might say faster than Quick, lately.

Link

Post #1   6/3/08 1:32:48PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
This is a really tough fight for me to call. I'm thinking that Swick is going to win but then I'll change my mind and have no idea. It should be good. I also really like both guys so I don't really have a favourite that I would prefer to win.

Post #2   6/3/08 1:45:06PM   

aaa9erh8er

Belt Contender

aaa9erh8er Avatar

Career:330-217
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
i agree both deserve the win and both are great guys. but for some reason i think its going to go in mikes favor win ia hard fought split D. but then i still think davis can knock him out............so well see

Post #3   6/3/08 2:04:35PM   

CantAndleDaRiddum

I Got My Black Belt in MMA

CantAndleDaRiddum Avatar

Career:299-192
Chips:
i've had Davis 2nd rd KO since they announced the fight

im stickin w/ it

Post #4   6/3/08 2:26:32PM   

copcopps

Manly Midget

copcopps Avatar

Career:1,398-962
Chips:
Davis first round KO, Mikey just ain't that quick anymore

Post #5   6/3/08 2:41:09PM   

billycarnage

In Full Mount

billycarnage Avatar

Career:300-165
Chips:
I am going to use ol' Forrest Griffin's technique here and flip a coin because I haven't been able to decide. I like them both. I would rather see Swick win but I think they are equally capable. So here it goes:
Heads = Davis and Tales = Swick

Its Tales!

I will not be betting on this fight.

Definately Fight of the Night!!!

Post #6   6/3/08 2:42:25PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
I am so psyched for this fight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

here is the way i see it:

i see Swick looking to trade with Davis. maybe for the first half of the first round, you will see the reach of Swick frustrating Marcus just a little. then, when Marcus feels comfortable i see him getting past the reach and unloading some serious flurries. Marcus has dealt with reach before and his days as a pro-boxer will really help him adapt to Swick's reach rather quickly. i can't see Swick KOing Davis. i don't know why some people question his chin, he was a pro boxer for many years and his only MMA loss to TKO was from a cut. granted he was dropped by Paul Taylor, but Taylor is an excellent kick-boxer and he hit him with a well placed head kick that Marcus recovered from very quickly. that kicked would have dropped most 170lbers and he was able to pull off the armbar in that situation anyway. also, i can't see Swick submitting Marcus with anything except for that guillotine. Marcus' JJ is very underrated and a lot of people don't realize that he has been working grappling intensely since a year before TUF because he realized that submission were his weakness. i feel that is not the case anymore and i believe that Marcus' JJ is good enough not to get subbed on the ground, and maybe even good enough to get a submission himself. i can't see Swick winning this fight save from a lucky guillotine (which i think is unlikely as i assure you Marcus has been training for that exact situation and will not get caught) because he just isn't powerful or quick enough in this division. i see a 2nd round KO for Marcus. Swick is going to try and come out fast and exciting to make up for his last fight, and with that mentality he will walk into a flurry world class punches that will hurt him badly if he is not careful. The first round will end with Davis letting his hands start to go and then when the 2nd round starts Davis will pick up where he left off and finish it.

Marcus by 2nd round (T)KO

Post #7   6/3/08 2:49:07PM   

CantAndleDaRiddum

I Got My Black Belt in MMA

CantAndleDaRiddum Avatar

Career:299-192
Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

I am so psyched for this fight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

here is the way i see it:

i see Swick looking to trade with Davis. maybe for the first half of the first round, you will see the reach of Swick frustrating Marcus just a little. then, when Marcus feels comfortable i see him getting past the reach and unloading some serious flurries. Marcus has dealt with reach before and his days as a pro-boxer will really help him adapt to Swick's reach rather quickly. i can't see Swick KOing Davis. i don't know why some people question his chin, he was a pro boxer for many years and his only MMA loss to TKO was from a cut. granted he was dropped by Paul Taylor, but Taylor is an excellent kick-boxer and he hit him with a well placed head kick that Marcus recovered from very quickly. that kicked would have dropped most 170lbers and he was able to pull off the armbar in that situation anyway. also, i can't see Swick submitting Marcus with anything except for that guillotine. Marcus' JJ is very underrated and a lot of people don't realize that he has been working grappling intensely since a year before TUF because he realized that submission were his weakness. i feel that is not the case anymore and i believe that Marcus' JJ is good enough not to get subbed on the ground, and maybe even good enough to get a submission himself. i can't see Swick winning this fight save from a lucky guillotine (which i think is unlikely as i assure you Marcus has been training for that exact situation and will not get caught) because he just isn't powerful or quick enough in this division. i see a 2nd round KO for Marcus. Swick is going to try and come out fast and exciting to make up for his last fight, and with that mentality he will walk into a flurry world class punches that will hurt him badly if he is not careful. The first round will end with Davis letting his hands start to go and then when the 2nd round starts Davis will pick up where he left off and finish it.

Marcus by 2nd round (T)KO

long but good read

i 100% agree w/ u, like always

Post #8   6/3/08 3:02:46PM   

tylerlee123

Standup Guy

tylerlee123 Avatar

Career:994-615
Chips:
For some reason I see this fight going like Davis - Taylor, but it could be a late come from behind KO/TKO

Post #9   6/3/08 3:17:10PM   

puppetmaster837

Standup Guy

puppetmaster837 Avatar

Career:216-132
Chips:
I think Davis is gonna take this easy. Swick has not looked impressive at all in his last 2 fights, while Davis has been on an absolute terror.

Davis has become a complete mixed martial artist. Look at the way he has won his last 5 fights. 1 decision, 2 KO's, and 2 submissions (armbar and achilles lock). He has made himself into a guy that has so many ways to win, he can pull out submissions if hes in trouble, he has one punch KO power, and has the gas tank to go the distance. Thats a dangerous fighter

Post #10   6/3/08 5:23:20PM   

FrankTheTank1181

Standup Guy

FrankTheTank1181 Avatar

Career:1,487-880
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
My initial gut instinct was Davis by KO/TKO. Should be an exciting fight either way though.

Post #11   6/3/08 11:08:14PM   

Kracker_Jap

BANNED

Kracker_Jap Avatar

Career:359-223
Chips:
If you asked me who would this fight a year ago I would have went with Swick but what a differance a year makes Davis KO 2nd round

Post #12   6/3/08 11:30:57PM