Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFC Quick Quote: Karo Parisyan is a gatekeeper

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
“Karo Parisyan is kind of like the gatekeeper of the division….”

– UFC President Dana White last night referred to one of the top welterweights in the sport, Karo Parisyan, as a gatekeeper for the 170-pound division during the “UFC Countdown” to 85 hour-long special on Spike TV. White was talking about how impressive it was that Thiago Alves was able to take him out UFC Fight Night 13 and get a crack at Matt Hughes in the main event at “Bedlam” this Saturday in London, England. Perhaps White has a different definition of gatekeeper, but in most circles that is not necessarily a desirable distinction — especially for a fighter who was supposedly knocking on the door to a title shot before the loss and has just three losses in 11 attempts inside the Octagon.

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   6/3/08 10:37:20AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
Thats one hell of a gatekeeper if he is! I think he'd beat a good few of the contenders if he was to fight them!
I'm thinking Dana might regret saying that. Karo's only been stopped twice in the whole time he's been fighting an one was a pretty early stoppage and the other was to a future champ! I'm not saying he could beat GSP by any means but their is no way he's a gatekeeper!

Last edited 6/3/08 10:43AM server time by SmileR
Edit note/reason: n/a

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #2   6/3/08 10:39:05AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,291-1,224
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i like karo just not karo the person,
but looks like karo might have to prove something in aug,
but i still think if he loses he will never get a title shot ever

Post #3   6/3/08 10:45:17AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
Just when I was gaining respect for Dana for defending himself and MMA on ESPN, I am once just shocked at the idiotic stuff that comes out of his mouth. I wouldn't be surprised with this being said that Karo, being the proud Armenian he is, lets his contract expire and signs with someone else.
Very disappointed in Dana...to call a top 10 fighter that is only 25 years old a "Gate Keeper" is absurd.

Edit: SmileR he did go the distance with GSP in a very competitive fight.

Last edited 6/3/08 12:15PM server time by gartface

Post #4   6/3/08 12:12:22PM   

thatfedorsohotrightnow

banned

Career:142-108
Chips:
The game changes so fast and I think it has passed Karo by. He just doesn't have the physical skills to get bye. Maybe change fight camps? Dude has skills but so do alot of guys.

Post #5   6/3/08 12:19:57PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
I think what White means is that Parisyan will never get the title but will still fight at the top of the division.

Parisyan stays because of his name. Remember what happened to Renato.

The guy was not going to get the title so he was out of the elite circle but they tried to make him a gatekeeper and he was too dangerous and won. So they threw him out first chace, he didn't really have a place.

I see that as being Parisyans place. They'll probably try to make him the elite contender/champions comeback fight and realize it wasn't a good idea.

Edit - Karo at 25 is probably equivilant to 30 or 32.
The guy has a long history in the UFC and had some wars. His first pro fight was at age 15 in Mexico against a veteran fighter.

Last edited 6/3/08 12:25PM server time by seanfu

Post #6   6/3/08 12:20:37PM   

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Career:815-456
Chips:
maybe Karo is not a gatekeeper but we really need some good gatekeepers for some of these younger fighters, it would be great to be able to see how good new people are measuring them against other against said gatekeeper, like the front gatekeeper(Horn or etc) instead of the guard of the king(Franklin or Karo or Hughes)

Post #7   6/3/08 12:30:45PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
Dana probably doesn't know the exact meaning of the word because I've heard him make slips like that before. I'm sure he respects Parisyan a lot and doesn't want to lose him.

Post #8   6/3/08 12:52:09PM   

billycarnage

In Full Mount

billycarnage Avatar

Career:300-165
Chips:
Burkman is a gatekeeper. Lytle is a gatekeeper. Karo is a contender. This could be good for him. If he doesn't lose his mind it might humble him and make him try to improve. I still think he has a lot of room to grow. I hope he can rise above this.

Post #9   6/3/08 2:14:24PM   

CantAndleDaRiddum

I Got My Black Belt in MMA

CantAndleDaRiddum Avatar

Career:299-192
Chips:

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Dana probably doesn't know the exact meaning of the word because I've heard him make slips like that before. I'm sure he respects Parisyan a lot and doesn't want to lose him.

i agree, dana's definition & ours is prolly skewed a little

still not cool to say though

Post #10   6/3/08 2:18:42PM   

coldchillin

In Full Mount

coldchillin Avatar

Career:533-287
Chips:
I love the UFC and the high quality of fights they always put on but I can not stand Dana White one bit. He has no idea what a gatekeeper is if he thinks Karo is one... what a joke.

Post #11   6/3/08 2:29:01PM   

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Chips:

Posted by coldchillin

I love the UFC and the high quality of fights they always put on but I can not stand Dana White one bit. He has no idea what a gatekeeper is if he thinks Karo is one... what a joke.

how the hell is he supposed to, does it talk about the exact definition in Complete Idiots guide to MMA by Rich Franklin, word of mouth definitions can be easily misused, people that talk a lot and are direct speakers can be easily critized if all you do is try and get pissed at them daily.

Post #12   6/3/08 2:33:12PM   

kaduey

In Full Mount

kaduey Avatar

Career:1,537-829
Chips:
Wow I can't believe how upset you guys are over Dana White calling Karo a gatekeeper. He probably meant it as a compliment saying if you can beat Karo then you're at the top of the division. He didn't say Karo isn't a contender or couldn't hold his own against 170's best, he was just trying to validify Alves as a legit guy to potentially challenge for the title.

Post #13   6/3/08 2:54:05PM   

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Chips:

Posted by kaduey

Wow I can't believe how upset you guys are over Dana White calling Karo a gatekeeper. He probably meant it as a compliment saying if you can beat Karo then you're at the top of the division. He didn't say Karo isn't a contender or couldn't hold his own against 170's best, he was just trying to validify Alves as a legit guy to potentially challenge for the title.

my point all the Dana haters are seeing shadows, Dana is not the bogeyman, well not because of this quote, get a life

Post #14   6/3/08 2:56:56PM   

GSPCanada

Standup Guy

Career:637-415
Chips:
I agree that Dana has a different definition than us. I'm sure he meant Karo is a good measuring stick (which isn't that great regardless) If you beat Karo that means your legit, like Sanchez he was ona great winnin streak but no one was that impressed until he beat Parisyan. No way is Karo a gate keeper not at that age with that record he will havbe his title shot eventually

Post #15   6/3/08 7:03:39PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2