Today's Topics Unanswered Topics Avatar Bets Search PM's My Props Member Directory Premium Members Recent Polls Subscriptions Rules

Sponsors

CBS Executive Responds To Critics Of MMA Debut

Page 1 of 2     1     2  
CBS Executive Responds To Critics Of MMA Debut
Posted By Message

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career record: 1238-694
Season: 24-15 (#98)
Bankroll: $1,464 (#990)
9899 posts
Joined 3/07
In life and network television, there are tradeoffs.

Kelly Kahl, Senior Executive Vice President for CBS Primetime television, found out you can’t please everybody, especially when perfection is the standard.

On the mixed martial arts message forums mere hours after the conclusion of CBS’s grand MMA experiment, “CBS-EliteXC Saturday Night Fights,” Kahl realized that few fans were ready to give his product a ticker tape parade. Much of the feedback was downright nasty.

“I thought some of it was fair,” he said. “I think in some cases you have people out there who… basically, if it’s not UFC it’s not credible.

“We have a little work to do with the hardcore fans and that’s something we’ll certainly address next time. But I think in terms of getting new people in I think we did a fantastic job.”

Link

Post #1   6/3/08 7:55:46AM   

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career record: 1145-633
Season: 0-0 (#-)
Bankroll: $1,000
1811 posts
Joined 5/07
“I thought some of it was fair,” he said. “I think in some cases you have people out there who… basically, if it’s not UFC it’s not credible.

NO- its not credible when you've got a superstar in the making with Carano who doesn't care enough to even make weight; fighting a girl who has to add pounds just to step in the cage.

It's not credible when you've got ring entrances which last longer then the fights.

It's not credible when the programming includes equal parts fighting and chearleaders for the first two hours.

It's not credible when you've got more stoppages then the 404 during rush hour.

It's not credible when you've got a headliner fighting his FOURTH ever sanctioned fight.

It's not gredible when the ref is on the payroll. And a crime when you find out that one of the judges had Kimbo winning the fight on his card.

Mr. Kahl- you should understand credibility. You've got a top rate news station with several award winning programs. Why don't you go back to doing the daytime soaps, and the evening news. Leave the fighting to someone else, or pick up a legit promotion and a better program manager before you decide to get back in the cage.

Post #2   6/3/08 8:32:58AM   

theguido
What the hell happened!

theguido Avatar
Career record: 297-234
417 posts
Joined 12/07

Posted by bojangalz

NO- its not credible when you've got a superstar in the making with Carano who doesn't care enough to even make weight; fighting a girl who has to add pounds just to step in the cage.

It's not credible when you've got ring entrances which last longer then the fights.

It's not credible when the programming includes equal parts fighting and chearleaders for the first two hours.

It's not credible when you've got a headliner fighting his FOURTH ever sanctioned fight.

It's not gredible when the ref is on the payroll. And a crime when you find out that one of the judges had Kimbo winning the fight on his card.

Mr. Kahl- you should understand credibility. You've got a top rate news station with several award winning programs. Why don't you go back to doing the daytime soaps, and the evening news. Leave the fighting to someone else, or pick up a legit promotion and a better program manager before you decide to get back in the cage.

Wow nicely put and I agree there were alot of things that made this show unappealing to the true MMA fan and Mr. Kahl can't see those things because he's not a true fan he can't know his show was horrible if he's never seen a quality show. He shoulda watched WEC then he would of seen the difference between true mma and trash.

Post #3   6/3/08 8:40:02AM   

D0wnUnd6e6r
SUUUUUUUUUGA

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career record: 1168-636
Season: 27-12 (#103)
Bankroll: $5,605 (#50)
3535 posts
Joined 9/07

Posted by bojangalz

It's not credible when you've got The Clown Baroni making a 15 minute laser and lights entrance, then get's dropped within the 1st minute... complete bullshit.

Last edited 6/3/08 8:44AM by D0wnUnd6e6r
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   6/3/08 8:44:14AM   

stock
Banned

Career record: 177-102
564 posts
Joined 7/07

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Posted by bojangalz

It's not credible when you've got The Clown Baroni making a 15 minute laser and lights entrance, then get's dropped within the 1st minute... complete bullshit.

Post #5   6/3/08 9:07:55AM   

MALICE
MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Career record: 497-249
1448 posts
Joined 9/07
They are only setting themselves up for failure. There is an old saying "If it ain't broke dont fix it" And they need to think about that. I enjoyed watching EXC on Showtime. I thought it was almost as good as the UFC. ALMOST.

True football fans made football what it is today. The most watched sport on television. A man by the name of Vince McMahon thought this was a great opportunity for him. He thought he would take this great sport, give it a few twists, and make it a little more fun for watch. Unfortunately for him, his XFL failed MISERABLY. "If it ain't broke dont fix it"

CBS may think that by giving it these little twists that they will make it a little easier for the casual fans to get hooked on the sport while waiting for the diehard fans to warm up to it. This will never be the case. MMA did not get so big by this sort of presentation, nor do I think it will continue to grow if CBS continues to present in this way. They are only setting themselves up for failure, and someone else will come along, start over, present it in the way that it has been for so many years now. In the UFC,Pride,WEC,IFL,DREAM,etc. way. The true mma way. And all will be well. And CBS/EXC will have missed their big opportunity by being complete Ignoramus'

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!!

Post #6   6/3/08 9:45:31AM   

Aether
Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career record: 927-503
5068 posts
Joined 4/07
I mean he's correct in pretty much everything he's saying... I'm sure they completed their objective which was to get a lot of kids who know nothing about MMA to watch a big black man with a crazy beard that they saw on youtube one time punch people. Their aim isn't to impress "true" fans, it's to make money, and in the vast majority of cases the "true fans" of any sport make up a very small portion of the overall viewer base and therefore also contribute a very small portion of the overall income that the entire show is designed to generate.

It makes sense from a business perspective to turn it into a freakshow truthfully, because the UFC and Japanese organizations already have legit MMA covered, and it's pretty impossible for any new company to pick up enough free agents to put on serious promotions that feature great fights with great fighters. Pretty much all MMA fans thought the thing was a freakshow, but according to the ratings they were successful

Post #7   6/3/08 10:24:00AM   

mrsmiley
Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career record: 1142-654
Season: 26-13 (#199)
Bankroll: $2,040 (#404)
4277 posts
Joined 4/07

Posted by bojangalz

I gotta spread the love more,but damn you deserve 20 props for that!

Post #8   6/3/08 10:32:31AM   

prozacnation1978
Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career record: 1223-642
Season: 23-16 (#51)
Bankroll: $2,936 (#183)
11571 posts
Joined 7/07
all i could add to it is if fights live on net work prime time are going to be rigged and stopped early due to fighters getting bloody which is why they were stopped so the audience doesn't have too see it, why even bother showing anything?? this isn't a movie on your network that you can take out the violence and edit it down. this is live, and i hope that alot of mma fans will not watch elite xc on cbs watch it on showtime it would be a whole different ball game, but i think they did drop the ball

Post #9   6/3/08 10:36:08AM   

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career record: 1135-613
Season: 18-14 (#907)
Bankroll: $1,740 (#743)
2893 posts
Joined 6/07

Posted by bojangalz

and good post

Post #10   6/3/08 11:14:24AM   

imanidiot777
In Full Mount

imanidiot777 Avatar
Career record: 268-179
646 posts
Joined 1/08

Posted by prozacnation1978

all i could add to it is if fights live on net work prime time are going to be rigged and stopped early due to fighters getting bloody which is why they were stopped so the audience doesn't have too see it, why even bother showing anything?? this isn't a movie on your network that you can take out the violence and edit it down. this is live, and i hope that alot of mma fans will not watch elite xc on cbs watch it on showtime it would be a whole different ball game, but i think they did drop the ball

It's funny that you bring that up because I somewhat agree, but you wouldn't think CBS would do that considering they were the station that played Saving Private Ryan unedited multiple times and didn't care what kind of trouble they got in.

Post #11   6/3/08 11:24:34AM   

KnockDownDragOut
Learning to Sprawl

Career record: 21-17
5 posts
Joined 3/08

Posted by imanidiot777

It's funny that you bring that up because I somewhat agree, but you wouldn't think CBS would do that considering they were the station that played Saving Private Ryan unedited multiple times and didn't care what kind of trouble they got in.

But Saving Private Ryan is historical and speaks to the horror of war. MMA is just a couple of guys beating up on each other ...

Granted, they're also more than willing to show some bloody crime scene in one of their 28 CSI shows.

Post #12   6/3/08 3:43:04PM   

holt8081
MMA Sensei

holt8081 Avatar
Career record: 342-215
1397 posts
Joined 6/07
but he is right about getting new MMA fans to start watching, all the wwe fans that dont watch MMA normaly might be intersting now cuz of the Pony show that CBS and Elite will put on. but the real MMA fans will see right though it all and lose respect for Elite, Like I have and thats just sad cuz they have some great talent.

Post #13   6/3/08 3:56:01PM   

mk1630
Standup Guy

mk1630 Avatar
Career record: 352-198
Season: 1-0 (#1616)
Bankroll: $1,070 (#1299)
381 posts
Joined 5/07

Without a doubt, it is much better on showtime. I have only watched it twice on showtime, but it is so much better than what they showed on saturday. I would rather they didnt put it back on CBS unless they let them show the real thing, and not cause fighters to lose because they didnt want it getting "too violent" for national tv. Its f***** MMA, its gunna be a little bit violent

Post #14   6/3/08 5:59:18PM   

FrankTheTank1181
Standup Guy

FrankTheTank1181 Avatar
Career record: 783-476
Camp: 360 Mafia
413 posts
Joined 1/08
Memo To Kelly Kahl: Credible

Post #15   6/3/08 9:13:44PM