Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Sakakibara Speaks After Pride 33

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

THE_AXE_MURDERER

MMA Regular

THE_AXE_MURDERER Avatar

Career:76-48
Camp: Rascal Fight Team
Chips:
At a press conference held after Pride’s successful return to American shores Pride’s CEO Nobuyuki Sakakibara had a few (translated) words to say about the weekend’s shock upsets.

Sakakibara on Gomi’s shock Googaplata submission loss to Nick Diaz

“Gomi vs Nick Diaz was a great fight, but Gomi went in unprepared and was too stressed out before the fight. Gomi will wake up and we will rematch them in April for the title. They may also be part of the Pride Lightweight Grand Prix starting in May.

Sakakibara on Wanderlei’s upset loss to Dan Henderson

“Wanderlei’s tonsils were swollen. He had a temperature of 40 degrees, which is why he cancelled his pre-fight public training session. He wouldn’t drop out because he was the main event. After his loss he cried in the dressing room. He had kept the Pride Middleweight Title for five years so it was like loosing a part of his body.

Dan Henderson will continue to fight in Pride’s Middleweight division. Dan himself said that he will move up to fight in the Heavyweight division soon (laughs).

Chute Boxe want revenge and said that either Shogun or Wanderlei want the chance to take the title back to Curitibia Brazil.”

Sakakibara on Sokoudjou after his 23 second Pride debut KO'ing Rogerio Nogueira.

“The African Assassin, Sokoudjou? Are you satisfied with him??? Maybe you thought it would be a mismatch, but we knew his potential. Sokoudjou will fight again in April his opponent will be… Well whoever we match him with will be a great fight.”

http://www.mmauniverse.com/news/SS1289

Post #1   2/26/07 12:32:26PM   

JoeMimic

MMA Regular

JoeMimic Avatar

Career:1,811-1,108
Camp: The Underground
Chips:
If it's in April it won't be in the US; I doubt Nick will be able to get cleared before then. If he somehow does fight in April; he then screws up his Elite XC debut because he could either be not able to fight or not get cleared.

Post #2   2/26/07 12:38:56PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
Thanks for the quotes...

I'm glad to hear that the LWGP is starting in May

And am very excited to see a Gomi / Diaz rematch for the belt...

Post #3   2/26/07 12:47:13PM   

THE_AXE_MURDERER

MMA Regular

THE_AXE_MURDERER Avatar

Career:76-48
Camp: Rascal Fight Team
Chips:
Gomi will be back better than ever everyone will see!

Post #4   2/26/07 3:04:41PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:
wouldnt a 40 degree temp make wandy dead, i smell bullshit

Post #5   2/26/07 3:46:04PM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:
Instead of praising the warriors who went through adversity and did incredible things to win their respective fights he makes excuses for his japanese star and his brazilian poster boy!?!?....

I lost a lot of respect for Sakakibara there. If Gomi didn't train enough he should get bashed for it, not use it as an excuse when he loses.

Post #6   2/26/07 3:55:57PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:

Posted by nickcuc547

wouldnt a 40 degree temp make wandy dead, i smell bullshit

40C would be 104F, which isn't life threatening, and he probably rounded up to 40, so it may be even less. Clearly Wandy didn't look as snappy as he used to, so I could see it.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #7   2/27/07 12:10:30AM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:
OHHHH..Gomi was stressed....ahh..thats why!!!

Post #8   2/27/07 12:28:13AM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
more like smoked some nasty stress..

Post #9   2/27/07 3:18:33AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:2,017-1,141
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
On the beatdown radio show today Josh Gross made a good point I agree with. He said when he interviewed Gomi after the fight .Gomi was making excuses. Said he didn't train hard very hard . His response made sense to me. He sadi if Gomi didn't train very hard for this fight he owes an apology to every person who paid to see this fight, and all of his fans. Whether or not Gomi/Wandy are telling the truth or not still doesn't change the fact they lost. Franklin was sick before his fight with Silva. Either way at least he said it had nothing to with why he got Koed. He said he had a bad game plan , and underestimated Anderson's strength in the clinch. He said Anderson was the better fighter that night. Sakibara making excuses doesn't sit well with me. Wandy and Gomi are still great fighter's .They just got beat by people who fought better than them that night. Diaz is not a top welterweight, I'd put him tenth at best.However, at 160 he might be one of the best.. His body of work over time will prove that out , or not. Still he should be the champ right now. Hendo was already a champ, and deserves every acolade I can think of. None of this diminishes Gomi or Wandy's ability. To me making excuses for them is not only a slap in the face to Diaz/Hendo, but also a insult to all Wandy/Gomi have done in their careers. Just give credit where credit is due. Diaz/Hendo fought great, I picked against both, I was wrong. Anything less is disrespectful to what they accomplished IMO.

Last edited 2/27/07 6:57AM server time by hippysmacker
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #10   2/27/07 4:01:26AM   

CWall33

MMA Regular

CWall33 Avatar

Career:413-243
Chips:
I agree.
They showed up that night and got beat by the opponent that showed up that night. Don't make excuses for why they lost. A loss could happen at any time (cough Sokoudjou/Nogueira cough).

There are no undefeated fighters (except Sanchez). If you are the champ in your mind, come back and take the belt back (or defend it, Gomi). "I was was too stressed out/sick" doesn't cut it.

( Picked Silva and Gomi against my gut. Must follow the gut next time. Must. Follow. Gut.)

Last edited 2/27/07 6:54AM server time by CWall33
2 total post edits

Post #11   2/27/07 6:51:01AM   

CWall33

MMA Regular

CWall33 Avatar

Career:413-243
Chips:

Posted by CWall33
There are no undefeated fighters (except Sanchez).

I may eat my words there. Posted without researching that fact. Love roasted crow, so bring it. I'm sure there are undefeated guys out there. Diego is the only one I can think of right now.

But my point stands. Everyone loses sooner or later. Don't make excuses for it.

Post #12   2/27/07 6:58:07AM   

MMA

Pimpin

MMA Avatar

Career:672-349
Chips:
I know Silva is a warrior so I can excuse him, I do believe he was sick.

Gomi, on the other hand, probably did not train very hard, but that's not an excuse. He owes everyone an apology ... and Nick Diaz a title shot.

Post #13   2/27/07 7:16:12AM   

mmadb

MMADB.com

mmadb Avatar

Career:625-342
Chips:
If Gomi trained we wouldn't have seen such a dramatic fight though! I thank you Gomi for undersetimating Nick Diaz and being more gased than any other man in the history of MMA half way through the first round.

Post #14   2/27/07 11:23:55AM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

On the beatdown radio show today Josh Gross made a good point I agree with. He said when he interviewed Gomi after the fight .Gomi was making excuses. Said he didn't train hard very hard . His response made sense to me. He sadi if Gomi didn't train very hard for this fight he owes an apology to every person who paid to see this fight, and all of his fans. Whether or not Gomi/Wandy are telling the truth or not still doesn't change the fact they lost. Franklin was sick before his fight with Silva. Either way at least he said it had nothing to with why he got Koed. He said he had a bad game plan , and underestimated Anderson's strength in the clinch. He said Anderson was the better fighter that night. Sakibara making excuses doesn't sit well with me. Wandy and Gomi are still great fighter's .They just got beat by people who fought better than them that night. Diaz is not a top welterweight, I'd put him tenth at best.However, at 160 he might be one of the best.. His body of work over time will prove that out , or not. Still he should be the champ right now. Hendo was already a champ, and deserves every acolade I can think of. None of this diminishes Gomi or Wandy's ability. To me making excuses for them is not only a slap in the face to Diaz/Hendo, but also a insult to all Wandy/Gomi have done in their careers. Just give credit where credit is due. Diaz/Hendo fought great, I picked against both, I was wrong. Anything less is disrespectful to what they accomplished IMO.

Excellent post. What I wanted to say only more detailed. Josh really hit the nail on that one and when he interviewed Gomi he almost sounded a little upset with him.
Both Sakakibara´s and Gomi´s comments are ridiculous and a slap in the face to the fans and mixed martial artists.
I hope Diaz brutally takes him down to earth in the rematch.

Last edited 2/27/07 12:04PM server time by Stickan

Post #15   2/27/07 12:04:19PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2