Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Kaitlin Young: 'CBS didn’t want the visual of a woman with a bloody face on CBS'

Print  
Why was the Carano/Young fight actually stopped?
Swollen Eye/Impaired Vision 7 11%
CBS doesn't want to show a battered woman on TV 54 89%
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
“My left cheek and area surrounding the eye are looking pretty ugly today, but there was no major damage. Though it may have looked like it on tv, I never actually had an open wound. What you didn’t see was that the doctor actually cleared me to fight the third round but the commission said ‘no.’ I wanted to continue, my corner wanted to continue. The cut likely would have opened in the third but it was under the eye. If I had to guess, I would say that they didn’t want the visual of a woman with a bloody face on CBS. They also chose not to do a post fight interview with me or to include me in the post fight news conference and after party. I think the reason for that was my beat up appearance after the fight because I was not seriously injured and was completely coherent. I am very disappointed about that but cant help but wonder how people would have responded to that, as stupid as it is. “

– Kaitlin Young — who did not answer the bell for the third and final round of her fight with Gina Carano at Elite XC: “Primetime” on CBS — shares her thoughts via FighterGirls.com on the stoppage.

Link

Post #1   6/2/08 2:08:54PM   

CantAndleDaRiddum

I Got My Black Belt in MMA

CantAndleDaRiddum Avatar

Career:299-192
Chips:
unfortunately i think she is right

fighters should be given a chance to show warrior spirit & JT, Scott Smith & Kaitlin are all victim of CBS being too worried about their audience

Post #2   6/2/08 2:24:22PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:
i dont know she was pretty messed up.

Post #3   6/2/08 2:26:07PM   

casey64

BANNED

Career:481-292
Chips:
I thought she should have kept going.

Post #4   6/2/08 2:26:30PM   

slappywhite

MMA Regular

slappywhite Avatar

Career:806-546
Camp: Bobbaganoosh
Chips:
i believe it, and it seems now that CBS would be interfering with results by doing things like that.

eff em

Post #5   6/2/08 2:32:11PM   

RMFG_187

Banned

RMFG_187 Avatar

Career:349-223
Chips:
it was a fair stoppage. but i will give u this, if it was a guy, it probably woul've went another round. but not for long.

Post #6   6/2/08 2:40:03PM   

hodge

Standup Guy

hodge Avatar

Career:442-256
Chips:
I wonder what would have happend if it war Carano with a swollen eye

Post #7   6/2/08 2:41:01PM   

babytater03

In Full Mount

babytater03 Avatar

Career:1,007-642
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:

Posted by RMFG_187

it was a fair stoppage. but i will give u this, if it was a guy, it probably woul've went another round. but not for long.

I thought all the stoppages were at least fair in their actions. The Smith one i thought was premature, however if he's telling someone he can't see...well.

That ear of JT's was NASTY and as soon as that thing busted i knew it wasn't going to be long before they stopped the fight.

btw: KIMBO GET ON A TREADMILL!! frick your endurance was a joke.

Post #8   6/2/08 2:44:48PM   

thatfedorsohotrightnow

banned

Career:142-108
Chips:
Whether it was CBS telling the NJSAC to act the way they did or if that is how they run an MMA show, either way that sh!t was wack. It would be pretty amusing to see a feminist org jump on this.

Post #9   6/2/08 2:45:11PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
If EXC is smart, they'll exercise the part of the deal that says future shows in this CBS deal can instead air on Showtime. I think Kaitlin's right, especially considering they showed the guys when they were bloody during their fights. They were probably too afraid of the controversy that would've ensued with people complaining. However, I do give Kaitlin a lot of credit for speaking out like that and sort of calling out CBS, I very much applaud her openness.

Post #10   6/2/08 2:46:23PM   

Biggee

MMA Regular

Biggee Avatar

Career:307-196
Camp: Clanton Gang Bitch!
Chips:
I dont think it should of been stopped. I think if it was cut like marvin eastmans cut, that's understandable. Yet she isnt an ordinary woman, she is a fighter, dont hurt her record because of a swollen eye.

1. Kaitlin = Bad Stoppage.
2. Scott Smith = I'll say bad stoppage, but he did say i cant see, i think if you really want to fight you wouldnt of said that. Just like Jens Pulver, he took a good minute and said let's go.
3. Kimbo's fight, im sorry but that was a bad stoppage. How many times do you see someone getting rocked and the next thing you know it turns around and they are battling again. I believe he would of been knocked out, but let that happen, dont stop it like that.

My 2 cents.

Gina Carano = Beautiful

WAR WANDY!!!! Sorry had to throw it in there.

Post #11   6/2/08 2:52:31PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,411-771
Chips:
The sad part is CBS should have no say so weather a fight should be stopped or not. This should have been totally in the hands of the ring side doctor and not CBS. When outside influence decides the outcome of a fight thats called a work. Hum wonder what other fights they decided the outcome of. Makes me really happy that the UFC CBS deal didn't happen.

Post #12   6/2/08 3:02:57PM   

billycarnage

In Full Mount

billycarnage Avatar

Career:300-165
Chips:
I thought the whole production was lame. It made MMA look bad and it made me appreciate what Dana White has done for the sport. I am sorry for ever bad mouthing him he has a tough job.

When they stopped the fight, my Father In-law looked at me and said "what? it's cause she's a girl, isn't it?" disappointed of course. He is a fairweatherd fan and still caught on to that. I thought the girls had the fight of the night and thought Gina would have finished her if they continued, but Kaitlyn diserved the right to be finished.

Post #13   6/2/08 3:16:02PM   

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,311-1,280
Chips:

Posted by telnights

The sad part is CBS should have no say so weather a fight should be stopped or not. This should have been totally in the hands of the ring side doctor and not CBS. When outside influence decides the outcome of a fight thats called a work. Hum wonder what other fights they decided the outcome of. Makes me really happy that the UFC CBS deal didn't happen.

Exactly...I was holding off on passing judgement on CBS until I read this - coming directly from a fighter. EliteXC is shooting itself in the foot - fighters are not going to want to participate if they aren't given a fair shot at winning just because it may get ugly looking.

Anyone think Nick Diaz would stand for that? No F'n way.

Post #14   6/2/08 3:59:59PM   

holt8081

MMA Sensei

holt8081 Avatar

Career:604-346
Chips:
Like I said before thats why dana dident close the deal with CBS first cuz they want to much control. Elite XC embarassed the sport and embarassed them selves.

Post #15   6/2/08 4:02:34PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2