Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

working out the abs.

Print  
Posted By Message

www-WeLoan-us

Standup Guy

www-WeLoan-us Avatar

Career:258-161
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
any of you mma guru's have any good exercises for the abs besides sit ups? Thanks in advance

Post #1   2/26/07 10:23:00AM   

Gladiator

In Full Mount

Gladiator Avatar

Career:896-523
Chips:
using a 12lb. medicine ball is great for your abs. you just lay on your back and move it side to side using your abs to twist your body back and forth, or if want to work your lower abdominals you just put it between your knees and slowly lift your legs sraight up and out while keeping your back completely flat on the ground. its also great for stomache conditioning if you just tighten your stomache as much as possible and drop the ball on ur abs from about a ft. up

Post #2   2/26/07 11:51:37AM   

www-WeLoan-us

Standup Guy

www-WeLoan-us Avatar

Career:258-161
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
much appreciated....

Post #3   2/26/07 11:58:08AM   

EEKS

MMA Regular

EEKS Avatar

Career:182-110
Camp: Chicago Top Team
Chips:
Those exersices Gladiator mentioned are killer for your abs, i do them everytime i train, leaves you feeling soar though. Theres one i do that involves an inflatable big ball, you are in the push up position with your arms fully extended but both legs must be resting on the ball, so pretty much the only thing holding you up is the ball and your hands, you then bring your knees towards your chest and hold, then bring back. Besides working your abs it also works your obliques.

Post #4   3/1/07 7:26:11AM   

BloodandTears

Standup Guy

BloodandTears Avatar

Career:322-195
Camp: duXup
Chips:
Building muscle on your abs is great, but if your wanting to see them its ALL about diet, You gotta burn the fat! Summo wrestlers have massive stomach muscles, but with their diets you cant see them. You can do all the working out you want, but again if you want the washboard effect, take my advice and diet, cut the fat!

Post #5   3/1/07 11:55:50AM   

MethodMan

MMA Regular

MethodMan Avatar

Career:58-26
Camp: Kamikaze
Chips:
there are fighters muscles and their are showing off on the beach muscles. really developed abs especially from overuse of an abs craddle actually hinder proper movement and lead to a weakening of the lower back muscles no good for a decent ground game. Go for core strength developed from swiss ball exercise or just running that gets you trim.

Post #6   3/2/07 9:12:19AM   

Brick

MMA Regular

Brick Avatar

Career:1,294-641
Camp: Dead Skin Mask
Chips:
Yeah, I'd say who cares about seeing them, you want strong abs for fighting, how they "look" is irrelevant.

A couple of tips:

Most people focus on crunches which work the middle abs, but don't neglect the obliques as these will take their fair share of punishment as well from body hooks. A simple one is to get into crunch position on your back, curl up your legs so your knees are almost fully bent, then lay your legs to one side flat on the floor. Do your crunches in this position so your side muscles are doing the work, you'll feel the burn in your side and notice the difference.

Also agree with the previous comments about some sort of medicine ball, and side-to-side movement during your crunches.

Other exercises which work abs while working something else:

Leg raises: Lie flat on your back with legs ram-rod straight, lift them straight in the air to 90 degrees extremely slowly, lower extremely slowly.

Mountain climbers: Push up position with one leg extended, the other one pulled up with knee to chest, exchange legs rapidly. These tire out my legs first, but feel it in my abs after I am done.

And don't forget simply trading punches to the gut with a partner. Nothing silly, just medium-strength punches back and forth, maybe 20 reps or so three times a week.

Post #7   3/2/07 8:00:32PM   

greeneyebandit

Learning to Sprawl

greeneyebandit Avatar

Career:200-146
Camp: duXup
Chips:
Ok here is some advice from a x-pro fighter...Building ab muscles and and actually seeing them is two different things. The best excercise for building abs is the old fashion wheel with the handle on both sides. Get on your knees and roll out until your about three inches from the floor then roll back up...repeat...do 5 sets of 20 starting out and increase as your strength increases. Next hold onto a pull up bar and bring your knees to your chest...do sets and increase as strength increases. Inverted crunches hanging upside down also burn...If you want to see your abs that's diet my friend. Low fat

Post #8   3/2/07 11:07:39PM   

ordean

Learning to Sprawl

ordean Avatar

Career:341-247
Chips:
bicycle crunches.....lots of them.

Post #9   3/7/07 6:00:02PM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Career:188-114
Chips:

Posted by EEKS

Those exersices Gladiator mentioned are killer for your abs, i do them everytime i train, leaves you feeling soar though. Theres one i do that involves an inflatable big ball, you are in the push up position with your arms fully extended but both legs must be resting on the ball, so pretty much the only thing holding you up is the ball and your hands, you then bring your knees towards your chest and hold, then bring back. Besides working your abs it also works your obliques.

This is it right here. I've got a whole book on abs, divided into 2 halves; training Abs and seeing Abs. You can have underdeveloped abs, but low Body fat and you will see them. You can have huge abs but a big gut (like the sumo!) and you wont see them.

The book hammers home the message time and time again, if you want beach body style abs, you need a high protein, low fat diet, combined with good cardio workouts to take the fat off and Abs workouts to enhance the muscles.

Post #10   3/15/07 7:13:39AM