Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Inevitability Works Until It Doesn't

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,792-1,044
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
UFC's entire PR strategy regarding Elite XC on CBS, Affliction, and all other companies is to dismiss them as irrelevent. Dana seems to believe that by calling UFC the equivalent of Nascar, it makes it true:

"It's like us sitting on my couch on a Saturday afternoon watching NASCAR, okay? We're watching NASCAR and I'm like, "Holy ****, look at all the people that are at that race. They must be making a lot of money. They've got a network deal with Fox, too. You know what we should do? We should get a couple of their drivers and go out and start our own race league, and we'll compete head to head with NASCAR."

LINK

Post #1   5/31/08 8:18:30AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,462-848
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I think UFC will be just fine.Their's just too much they have in the game right now,that regardless of what another company does,it will take them a while to catch up.I don't agree with a lot of what Dana says,but I honestly believe the UFC is the number one organization in the world for MMA today,and will hold that spot for quiet a few years to come.I think the competition will eventualy get stiffer,but who knows.I see the UFC having a hold on the world of MMA,like the WWE does for wrestling.

Post #2   5/31/08 8:27:25AM   

thatfedorsohotrightnow

banned

Career:142-108
Chips:
UFC could also be destroyed from with in. Look at Pride they died from scandal and loss of TV deal not outside comp. Some new scandal and a few top guys leave and UFC could be in trouble. Most likely UFC will be printing money for years and years.

Post #3   5/31/08 11:35:59AM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,790-1,126
Chips:
hey did you guys here the news the UFC makes more money than everyone and still pays their fighters better

and the last part is true

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #4   5/31/08 12:20:03PM   

tberg420

Standup Guy

tberg420 Avatar

Career:1,578-861
Chips:

Posted by thatfedorsohotrightnow

UFC could also be destroyed from with in. Look at Pride they died from scandal and loss of TV deal not outside comp. Some new scandal and a few top guys leave and UFC could be in trouble. Most likely UFC will be printing money for years and years.

The whole Yakuza thing really hurt PRIDE. Please don't relate Mafia ties to not acknowledging outside MMA companies. I've said this before and will say it again. This situation is extremely similar to when Pro Wrestling took off in the mid 90's. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry went out and tried to create a wrasslin company. Without a strong financial plan in tact, 95% failed miserably within 5 years. The same thing is going to happen with most of these MMA companies and that's a shame because they really will give the sport a bad reputation but when you have a free market, it allows for this kind of nonsense.

Post #5   5/31/08 12:35:54PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,184-1,486
Chips:

Dana's attempt to act like he is the top dog, has always been the top dog, and will inevitably be the top dog is little more than wishful thinking.

This is absurd....besides Pride who were overseas...who else has there been????
UFC has been number 1 the whole way...PERIOD.

If Elite XC does a 4 or 5 rating this weekend, Elite XC will almost immediately be a serious number 2.

Thats some absurd nonsense. The card isn't that good...and they have no depth...over 50% of the ranked fighters in the world are in the UFC...not many of them are in EliteXC. They can't maintain the quality and quantity the UFC has given us.
The real threat to the UFC isn't EliteXC.....its Affliction.
DID YOU SEE THAT CARD? If they can keep throwing fight cards like that at us....the UFC could have a real American competitor....not Gary Shaw's vision of MMA.

Last edited 5/31/08 12:46PM server time by Sir_Karl
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   5/31/08 12:45:39PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,352-1,258
Chips:
all elite xc did was get a tv deal, that's it and have a wannabe thug for a main event, but mma is mma. ufc will be fine, the fighters might not say it out loud but i bet almost everyone of those elite fighters wants to be in the ufc. i think dana should just take there best, that is why gary shaw is having his fighters sign long term contracts, and i heard the only way to be on primetime cbs is to sign on. i heard k.j noons turned it down.

Post #7   5/31/08 12:59:29PM   

dstlvb

MMA Regular

dstlvb Avatar

Career:373-248
Chips:
EliteXC being on CBS is not the coup its being made out to be. They basicly got a TV deal from there own company. Alot of the Execs at CBS didnt even want it. How long is that gonna last. Yet Anhueser-Busch who basicly is the number one advertiser in sports chose to go with the UFC. An endorsement from a mainstream powerhouse like that is going to help the UFC in the long run more than Elite being on CBS.

Post #8   5/31/08 4:44:43PM