Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

CBS-ELITEXC: Industry chimes in on Kimbo Slice

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
Kevin Ferguson, better known as "Kimbo Slice," has emerged as one of mixed martial arts' highest profile athletes and most controversial figures. His quick rise to MMA stardom from street fighter to main event status has been received with varying results within the MMA community.

One of the biggest critics of marketing Kimbo Slice to a mainstream audience by having him headline an MMA event has been UFC president Dana White.

"To have CBS, a big network like that, move forward with a guy like Kimbo Slice headlining it, I mean there's no secret, that's what I tried to stay away from," said the outspoken UFC figurehead. "Kimbo Slice isn't a mixed martial artist. This guy was fighting in your backyard three months ago, and now he's going to be headlining on CBS. Personally I think it sucks."

Former UFC lightweight champion Sean Sherk shares White's opinion. "To be honest with you, I wasn't crazy about the idea," said the nine-year professional mixed martial artist.

"I think if you're going to headline a main event, a mainstream thing like that, you should have the credentials to follow it. You know? I would have liked to have seen a more established fighter, somebody who maybe would represent the sport a little better, because if you're tuning into CBS for the first time and you catch this street fighter guy on television, I think that's going to give us a bad name. And I think it sets us back a couple of steps."

Link

Last edited 5/30/08 8:32AM server time by SmileR
Edit note/reason: n/a

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   5/30/08 8:31:05AM   

Raykill

TAKING A BREAK

Raykill Avatar

Career:289-247
Chips:
yea, I was just reading this yesterday. Its funny how it works. You have the head guy over there saying that he dosnt like MMA and doesnt think that it should be on thier network.
Then he's like but if it makes us money then I am all for it.

Guess you gotta keep the Bentley gassed up somehow.

Post #2   5/30/08 9:26:17AM   

PaleHorse

Standup Guy

PaleHorse Avatar

Career:334-241
Camp: Society of Woden
Chips:

Posted by SmileR

Kevin Ferguson, better known as "Kimbo Slice," has emerged as one of mixed martial arts' highest profile athletes and most controversial figures. His quick rise to MMA stardom from street fighter to main event status has been received with varying results within the MMA community.

One of the biggest critics of marketing Kimbo Slice to a mainstream audience by having him headline an MMA event has been UFC president Dana White.

"To have CBS, a big network like that, move forward with a guy like Kimbo Slice headlining it, I mean there's no secret, that's what I tried to stay away from," said the outspoken UFC figurehead. "Kimbo Slice isn't a mixed martial artist. This guy was fighting in your backyard three months ago, and now he's going to be headlining on CBS. Personally I think it sucks."

Former UFC lightweight champion Sean Sherk shares White's opinion. "To be honest with you, I wasn't crazy about the idea," said the nine-year professional mixed martial artist.

"I think if you're going to headline a main event, a mainstream thing like that, you should have the credentials to follow it. You know? I would have liked to have seen a more established fighter, somebody who maybe would represent the sport a little better, because if you're tuning into CBS for the first time and you catch this street fighter guy on television, I think that's going to give us a bad name. And I think it sets us back a couple of steps."

Link

I don't think Kimbo has much less in the way of credentials as Brock Lesnar who just headlined a UFC event not long ago... Dana should just leave him alone because Kimbo is becoming way too big of a topic in between fights, the only reason we should be talking about him this much would be if he just went up against someone in the big leagues instead of looking like the most spoon fed superstar MMA has ever had (including the original big vs little guys in the UFC) Besides, who can EliteXC market better than a guy who most people have seen fight on the internet?

Post #3   5/30/08 10:24:18AM   

Ronin74

Learning to Sprawl

Career:563-406
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:

Link

Yeah the street fighter turned MMA is going to give the sport a bad name. C'mon it's not like he did steroids or something.

Post #4   5/30/08 11:34:24AM   

bls1919

Banned From Forums

bls1919 Avatar

Career:308-183
Chips:
I love how the author uses stuff from sean sherk. There the guy i want Nandrolone boy, comenting on whats "good or bad" for the sport. Give me a break. And when were the Quotes from dana, cant be recent cause three monthes ago Ferguson was beating up Tank.

Post #5   5/30/08 12:02:32PM   

thatfedorsohotrightnow

banned

Career:142-108
Chips:
Gotta love an article quoting two notorious liers.

I have seen nothing but class from Kimbo since he joined Bas. The person that is more of an embarresment to MMA is Dana.

Kimbo's past is no wosre than most folks it is just his past is on video all over the internets.

Dana and the UFC would be better served to ignore Kimbo instead of smack talking on him. Every time DW runs his mouth another 20 threads go up on the net about it. All this just adds to the hype. Also, anyone else sick of the Kimbo hype should not be posting about it since it only adds to the hype.

PS Fedor isn't even top 5 and my official UFC brand supps are tainted with pixie dust. Hey Shrek you gave yourself a bad name testing positive for Nandrolone.

Yes and how many years must a street fighter train with Bas before you call him an MM Artist?

How many MMA fights must a street fighter have before he is no longer a street fighter?

Post #6   5/30/08 12:30:52PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,174-1,480
Chips:
Boo me, hiss me or hate me but I am a firm believer in "the dumbing of America".
My point being....I think new fans would be more excited to see Kimbo "knock out" Thompson in 30 seconds than say a great fight between Lawler/Smith or Baroni/Villasenor.
I quote "knock out" because has Kimbo actually knocked anyone out??????
In all his "street fights" he really didn't knock anyone out.
Adryan doesn't count because Kimbo hit him 4 or 5 more times after Adryan was dazed on the ground...and the fight was supposed to be over (is that the infamous pepper spray incident?). He really didn't knock out anyone in his "street fights"....nor did he KO Mercer, Cantrell or Abbott.
KO means Knock Out...Out meaning unconscious! Dazed on the ground isn't a KO.
Cantrell went down and tapped as the breeze from Kimbo's punches flew by....and Tank took his customary 1 decent shot and bellied down and waited for the ref to stop the "fight". Good payday for Tank there...he took one 50% power punch from Ferguson and made over $100,000....cool for Tank but not for the true fans...or the sport.
I don't dislike Kimbo Slice...none of this "crap" is really his fault.
he is really a great fighter who has exceptionally great footwork (most important part of stand up fighting)...that I assume he learned in prison. He has great hooks with devastating power and he has been training with Bas Rutten...I am sure he can do more than stand and bang at this point.
Gary Shaw is mostly to blame for the "situation" that EliteXC has put the MMA world in.
I think Mr.Shaw believes in "the dumbing of America" as well...that is why Kimbo Slice is the headliner. Time will tell.

Post #7   5/30/08 1:01:09PM   

jakeiceman

Banned

jakeiceman Avatar

Career:185-141
Chips:

Posted by thatfedorsohotrightnow

PS Fedor isn't even top 5

Do you ever give it a rest?

Post #8   5/30/08 1:02:36PM   

coldchillin

In Full Mount

coldchillin Avatar

Career:533-287
Chips:
doesn't surprise me one bit that I agree with BJ Penn and Josh Barnett more than Dana and Sherk.

Post #9   5/30/08 1:54:12PM   

thatfedorsohotrightnow

banned

Career:142-108
Chips:

Posted by jakeiceman

I need to just have that as my signature.

Post #10   5/30/08 2:44:51PM   

jakeiceman

Banned

jakeiceman Avatar

Career:185-141
Chips:

Posted by jakeiceman

I need to just have that as my signature.

Ha ha yeah man you should upgrade to premium so you can. I wasnt doggin on you, just givin you a hard time.

Post #11   5/30/08 5:39:47PM   

bigbubbano23

MMA Sensei

bigbubbano23 Avatar

Career:317-197
Camp: Xtreme Couture
Chips:
kimbo is good but def not good enough to be main eventing. wait he's in elite xc never mind. i guess he is the best they got. i mean 3-0 thats god damn impressive. iam not bashing the guy, i just think he should not be the poster boy of 2nd rate mma.

Post #12   6/1/08 12:55:21AM   

crazedfan

MMA Regular

crazedfan Avatar

Career:2,518-1,375
Camp: BE Civil War
Chips:
Kenny Florian also addressed this on MMA Live, saying he thought Lawler/Smith should have been the main event. But still, Kimbo is what people know EliteXC for, that's not really gonna change any time soon, at least as long as Kimbo keeps winning. With all that said, I enjoyed tonight's show, Lawler/Smith was a great fight, as was Carano/Young, and Villasenor/Baroni and Rogers/Murphy were good quick scraps.

Post #13   6/1/08 2:36:15AM   

GrandMaster313

In Full Mount

GrandMaster313 Avatar

Career:984-643
Chips:
Let Dana say what he has to say and as for Sherk to say "it would set MMa back" i think is a crock of shit. Kimbo OBVIOUSLY has no ground defence but I think the card went well other than Robbie Lawler wining by controversial decision. Props to CBS for airing this card I hope to see more in the future and hopefully by the UFC and other organizations !

Post #14   6/1/08 2:46:32AM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
All the UFC nut huggers should give it a rest. The UFC guys aren't mad that Kimbo doesn't have credentials they are mad because they aren't as MARKETABLE as him. Some of them know they are better but haven't realized that when an organization markets ITSELF instead of you, the organization gets famous and not the fighter. In Kimbo's case, what they are doing is MARKETING A FIGHTER NOT the organization. When these fighters finally figure that out then they'll probably end up leaving the UFC and fighting for someone else.

Post #15   6/1/08 3:33:54AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2