Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Hansen vs Ireland

Print  
Posted By Message

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,946-1,103
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Hansen really looked rusty to me. He even was having trouble with basic Jujitsu. He had him in the triangle and didn't pull down the head, then he forgot a while to lift up his hips. I think it's good his comeback match after the quick loss to Aoki wasn't against a contender.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #1   2/25/07 10:47:07PM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:
I didn't see the rust but I thought he looked like he was taking Ireland lightly the entire fight.

Another thing I did see was the punching power of Hansen. Even though I've seen it a lot of times before in his fights I get impressed by it every time. He's got the heavyness in his hands of a MW.

Post #2   2/25/07 10:56:33PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
I thought his JJ looked good, but he wasn't taking any risks in the fight either.

The triangle didn't initially work because Ireland had his hand on the inside thigh creating space.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #3   2/25/07 11:18:40PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,946-1,103
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I saw that, but he could have grabbed the hand, pulled the head, bucked his hips and space gone. I'm no BJJ expert, but what little I have of it seems liek it was obvious. Maybe theres a purple, brown, or black belt around here who will let me know.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #4   2/26/07 12:54:36AM   

ButterBalls

Jiu-Jistu Bean

ButterBalls Avatar

Career:265-159
Chips:
I honestly expected more out of both of them. I thought overall it was a pretty crappy fight.

Then again I don't really like Hanson all that much anyway, so I suppose I'm a little biased. The coolest thing he's ever done is made it onto a highlight reel during the Aoki fight.

Post #5   2/26/07 12:59:14AM   

richieb19

MMA Sensei

richieb19 Avatar

Career:239-153
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

I saw that, but he could have grabbed the hand, pulled the head, bucked his hips and space gone. I'm no BJJ expert, but what little I have of it seems liek it was obvious. Maybe theres a purple, brown, or black belt around here who will let me know.

I'd have to watch the fight again, but from what I can remember he made the switch to an armbar before he even started to really sink in the triangle anyways, looked like he was using it more for position than anything at the time. Also he seemed pretty solid on the ground in the later rounds if you ask me, and to be honest the fight should have been stopped at the end of the 2nd when he had the armbar setup and was wailing away on Irelands unprotected head. Come to think of it, it should have been stopped earlier at the end aswell, seemed like Hellboy was telling the ref he was going to break his arm if he didnt stop it...

Post #6   2/26/07 1:04:12AM   

aceprone

Standup Guy

aceprone Avatar

Career:1,037-635
Camp: Slackers
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

I thought his JJ looked good, but he wasn't taking any risks in the fight either.

The triangle didn't initially work because Ireland had his hand on the inside thigh creating space.

Totally agree. I've been having this argument with Hippy all day. I thought Hansen ground look really impressive. He was able to switch from one position to another with ease. Sure he probably could of been more aggressive but Ireland was defending on the ground quit well. I was actually more impressed with Irelands defense. When Hansen had the triangle on Ireland, Ireland kept his hand on the inside to create space. Irelands defense was extremely similar to Lutters, when Silva had him in a triangle. So when he couldn't get the triangle he pulled an impressive arm bar, but I think Hansen was hoping that Ireland would tap, so that he wouldn't have to break it. And once Ireland decided he could hold on and the ref wasn't going to stop it, Hansen was like, "ok, I'm going to break it now." And that's when he raised his hips.

Post #7   2/26/07 1:12:26AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

I don't have a belt in BJJ, but I have trained with BJJ guys. A triangle is a tricky move to get, especially on the light weights, as they have less neck and shoulder to press together, and they're doing it with skinny legs. Something simple like the hand inside the thigh, or anchoring the elbow of the trapped arm to create space will render the move little better than a headlock.

Conversely, the dude is going to have a hell of a time getting out of it, even if it isn't a choke, so in an MMA setting, you're better off teeing off on a dudes face, a-la Silva vs Lutter, or going for the armbar like Hansen did.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #8   2/26/07 11:13:08PM   

SteedTheDeed

Standup Guy