Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Wanderlei Silva now linked to fight Rashad Evans, then title shot.

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,989-1,152
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Red-Dragon

Everyone seems to be forgetting Machida. He deserves a title shot before Wandy who is 1-1 in the UFC.

Too true. This is what i've been saying for a long time

Post #16   5/25/08 4:31:49PM   

Kracker_Jap

BANNED

Kracker_Jap Avatar

Career:359-223
Chips:

Posted by kastro_316

DreamFighters.com

rumored that Wanderlei Silva's next fight could be with Rashad Evans, and then a title shot with the winner of Forrest/Rampage.

I would rather see SIlva get a title shot right away, or fight Thiago

The only thing good about this rumor if it comes true is seeing Rashad getting KTFO

Post #17   5/25/08 5:16:07PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,763-1,756
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Definately not a good match up IMO....for either of them, 1 could get KOed quick and the other could get layed on for 15 minutes....both wouldn't impress me much as they would just be doing what we expect of them. I'd like to see Wandy match up with Tito and take his big ass head off!!!! Then again he's probably out of the UFC anyways....how about Wandy vs Soko...or Rua???

Oh yeah, and Machida should scrap with Chuck for a title shot!

Last edited 5/25/08 5:25PM server time by jae_1833
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #18   5/25/08 5:24:41PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,631-1,351
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I'm not saying Wandy shouldn't need 1 more win for a title shot because a 2-0 record against the champ trumps needing a long winning streak IMO.

But Machida is much more deserving to be the man opposite him for the #1 contender shot, not Rashad.

Post #19   5/25/08 5:29:23PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
Seriously, what does Machida have to do to get a title shot? He dominated Soko when everyone had him in the top 10, and then he picked apart Tito handily. What does this guy have to do to get his much deserved title shot. Its ridiculous. He is #1 contender right now imo.

Post #20   5/25/08 5:31:58PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,989-1,152
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

I'm not saying Wandy shouldn't need 1 more win for a title shot because a 2-0 record against the champ trumps needing a long winning streak IMO.

But Machida is much more deserving to be the man opposite him for the #1 contender shot, not Rashad.

He still needs to earn his title shots, he can't just live off his past glorys forever.........

Post #21   5/25/08 5:44:20PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,631-1,351
Chips:

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by Kpro

He still needs to earn his title shots, he can't just live off his past glorys forever.........

At least he would be getting a title shot after 2 wins, unlike a certain Randy Couture who's last fight was a loss in a lower division.

I'm just saying, title shots in the UFC have no rhyme or reason but generally heavily favor past history when making them.

Last edited 5/25/08 6:56PM server time by Kpro
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #22   5/25/08 6:56:24PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,615-1,389
Chips:
what the hell!!!!!!!
machida deserves it more,
wandy vs evans would be a massacre, but if evans wins does that mean he gets a title shot as well. is this a # 1 contender match??
i think it will happen in sept
but i am very surprised by the machida snubb

Post #23   5/25/08 7:28:55PM   

finnish_line

In Full Mount

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

Chuck's injury won't keep him out THAT much longer.

There is no way Wand should get a title shot after a win over Rashad before Chuck gets his shot. Chuck beat Wand in December!

They're so afraid of Wand losing again that they'll rush the title shot. Lame.

Post #24   5/25/08 7:29:55PM   

ICSlegend

MMA Regular

ICSlegend Avatar

Career:56-40
Chips:

Posted by finnish_line

Chuck's injury won't keep him out THAT much longer.

There is no way Wand should get a title shot after a win over Rashad before Chuck gets his shot. Chuck beat Wand in December!

They're so afraid of Wand losing again that they'll rush the title shot. Lame.

Huh? Chuck is 1-1 in his last 2 fights, just like Wandy. Only difference is he got outstruck by Jardine for 3 rounds, who Wandy destryoed in 30 seconds....and Chuck-Wand was pretty much a draw.

Not to mention Wandy utterly annihilated Rampage TWICE already, whereas Liddell WAS utterly annihilated by Rampage TWICE.

No contest here. Wandy or Machida deserve the shot, Wandy moreso since beating the former #1 contender imo in Jardine.

Post #25   5/25/08 7:57:19PM   

finnish_line

In Full Mount

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

Posted by ICSlegend
Huh? Chuck is 1-1 in his last 2 fights, just like Wandy. Only difference is he got outstruck by Jardine for 3 rounds, who Wandy destryoed in 30 seconds....and Chuck-Wand was pretty much a draw.

Not to mention Wandy utterly annihilated Rampage TWICE already, whereas Liddell WAS utterly annihilated by Rampage TWICE.

No contest here. Wandy or Machida deserve the shot, Wandy moreso since beating the former #1 contender imo in Jardine.

Pretty much a draw except for the fact it wasn't.

Wand was almost out on his feet a few times in that bout.

Chuck's the former long time champ. That has to count for something.

He lost a split decision to Jardine and he lost the belt to Rampage with a quick knockout.

If Chuck beats Shogun, that's more impressive than Wand beating Rashad.

Getting a title shot with a 2-1 record in UFC and a 2-3 record in your last five fights is ludicrous, especially when one of those losses wasn't you losing your title (like Chuck's situation).

Post #26   5/25/08 8:17:23PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,928-1,103
Chips:
I'd like to see Machida and Liddell match up for a shot at the title. Only thing is, with their styles they might never get within 10 feet of each other!

Wandy v. Rashad is ok with me. It's a match I'd like to see to gauge both fighters. Winner would be in line for a shot soon.

Thiago v. Jardine makes sense to me. Jardine's loss has to put him down with Thiago.

I want to see Shogun get back in action soon. They should bring him back slowly and build him up with someone like Irvin or Gouveia

Post #27   5/25/08 8:33:55PM   

ICSlegend

MMA Regular

ICSlegend Avatar

Career:56-40
Chips:

Posted by finnish_line

Pretty much a draw except for the fact it wasn't.

Wand was almost out on his feet a few times in that bout.

Chuck's the former long time champ. That has to count for something.

He lost a split decision to Jardine and he lost the belt to Rampage with a quick knockout.

If Chuck beats Shogun, that's more impressive than Wand beating Rashad.

Getting a title shot with a 2-1 record in UFC and a 2-3 record in your last five fights is ludicrous, especially when one of those losses wasn't you losing your title (like Chuck's situation).

Watch the fight objectively with the sound off (Rogan praises Liddell like a god, and completely ignores everything Wand does). If Liddell didn't get those punk takedowns (they would be legit if he actually intended to do something with them), it would be far from a clear cut victory.

And speaking of "almosts", Wandy almost finished Liddell when he dropped him. Maybe it was him holding back from stomping him (like he would have in Pride), or just lack of aggressiveness, but that could have been the end of the fight right there.

Split nothing with Jardine, he got outpointed the whole time, except for a few power shots he hit Jardine with. Jardine was dominating with kicks. Judges are not infallible, and I'm sure if they re-watched fights on tape they would make some different choices.

And Chuck-Page II was no "quick knockout". Wandy over Jardine was pretty quick, but 2 min is not "that quick". Rampage completely outclassed Liddell. Not his fault Liddell's boxing is technically poor. He just took complete advantage of that. I think Liddell's lost a step, and Page was able to finish him that much quicker than the first time. Don't see how it would be different the 3rd time around.

And yes, if Chuck beats Shogun (one that doesn't look like crap) that will be A LOT more impressive than Wand beating Rashad, no doubt.

Getting a title shot after 4-3 in one weight division, and 2 losses the last time at HW for Couture was a lot more ludicrous. Didn't stop the UFC from doing it.

Post #28   5/25/08 9:55:46PM   

Mchubb316

MMA Sensei

Mchubb316 Avatar

Career:838-517
Camp: Strikers Inc.
Chips:
Wand I think would manhandle Rashad. I don't believe Rashad is as good as a lot of people think he is. Wand will expose Rashad, and knock him out.

Post #29   5/25/08 10:26:49PM   

89vision

In Full Mount

Career:98-46
Chips:

Posted by Red-Dragon

Everyone seems to be forgetting Machida. He deserves a title shot before Wandy who is 1-1 in the UFC.

uh, wandy is 2-3 in the UFC bud

besides, theres no doubt that Machida is next anyway

Post #30   5/25/08 10:44:22PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3