Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

The Hotbed Is Hot Again-ASU Reinstates Wrestling Program

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Less than 2 weeks ago, it was announced that Arizona State University was dropping it's wrestling program for financial reasons. The program was considered an MMA hotbed because of the talent it's produced. But now it's back-the program has been reinstated because the money to save the program was raised by the program's supporters-in only 10 days.

Article

Post #1   5/24/08 7:47:08AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
Its great to see that the program is still going to run. The talent breaking through into the MMA scene alone should justify the program running. Its good news for MMA as that place has produced some good fighters, I'm expecting more to follow as well.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #2   5/24/08 10:27:40AM   

F--K_Luck_AuH2O

Banned

Career:340-195
Chips:
There are rumors Dan Henderson and Randy Coutore donated nearly 6 million dollars.

CB Dollaway, Cain Valasquez, Dan Severn, Mark Kerr, Aaron Simpson, Jamie Varner, Joe Riggs and other former AZ college wrestlers (inclusing myself) have been working dilligently to reinstate the program.

When i attended the Lion's Den grappling tournament this morning I was informed of the news, then when i got hom, sure enough, it was on TV!

Last week at the freestyle wrestling tournament they were handing out Save ASU wrestling T-shirts, and their were MMA stars signing autographs for the fans. The news brodcasters were there interviewing people...and the petition was signed by nearly 10 thousand people on just that one day.

Local businesses from all around the state withdrew their funding, and support...many never wrestled in their lives, but were MMA fans. And the Radio Stations held interviews with stars like Mark Colman, Tito Ortiz, Randy Coture, and Brock Lesnar to urge AZ's support.

This is a huge step for the sport imo...MMA has literally saved a collegiate sport!

Also props to Randy for taking time out of his legal battles to prove that He >>>>>>Dana White.

Post #3   5/24/08 5:06:05PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,510-1,592
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Best news I've heard all week!!
WAR Sundevils!!!!!!

Post #4   5/24/08 7:40:34PM   

stock

Banned

Career:409-235
Chips:

Posted by F--K_Luck_AuH2O

There are rumors Dan Henderson and Randy Coutore donated nearly 6 million dollars.

CB Dollaway, Cain Valasquez, Dan Severn, Mark Kerr, Aaron Simpson, Jamie Varner, Joe Riggs and other former AZ college wrestlers (inclusing myself) have been working dilligently to reinstate the program.

When i attended the Lion's Den grappling tournament this morning I was informed of the news, then when i got hom, sure enough, it was on TV!

Last week at the freestyle wrestling tournament they were handing out Save ASU wrestling T-shirts, and their were MMA stars signing autographs for the fans. The news brodcasters were there interviewing people...and the petition was signed by nearly 10 thousand people on just that one day.

Local businesses from all around the state withdrew their funding, and support...many never wrestled in their lives, but were MMA fans. And the Radio Stations held interviews with stars like Mark Colman, Tito Ortiz, Randy Coture, and Brock Lesnar to urge AZ's support.

This is a huge step for the sport imo...MMA has literally saved a collegiate sport!

Also props to Randy for taking time out of his legal battles to prove that He >>>>>>Dana White.

Do have any references about Henderson/Couture donating that much money? Could you please link something.
It's not that I don't believe you, I just want to share this info elsewhere and don't feel comfortable without a link.

thanks!

Post #5   5/25/08 9:11:52AM