Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Tim Sylvia talks about the fight with Fedor, the UFC and Kimbo

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Bemin

Touch gloves, and good fight!

Bemin Avatar

Career:140-118
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
Tim Sylvia, the six foot eight former UFC heavyweight champion, will be taking on the great Fedor Emelianenko in July at Affliction Banned. I spoke to Tim at the Affliction Banned press conference in NYC today.

Hey Tim. Your split with the UFC, was it about money?

No, I'm not gonna say that. It's just we were both at crossroads in our career. I was at a crossroad in my career and they just didn't know what they wanted to do. I had no interest in fighting a prelim fight in my next fight. And the thing is if I won I would be back in title contention again. And how many people really want to see Tim Sylvia fighting for a heavyweight title in the UFC again. You know, I've done it like eight times. So they just had a different route they wanted to do with the UFC right now and I've got some different things that I'm wanting to do. So I'll do my thing for a couple of years and hopefully I'll have a home back in the UFC someday.

Link

Post #1   5/22/08 10:05:45PM   

whardin19

MMA Sensei

whardin19 Avatar

Career:999-599
Camp: B-Robs Terror
Chips:
Well said by Big Tim on the UFC situation. He hit the nail right on the coffin there. Who would want to see him fight for the Heavyweight title like for the 8th time if he got another win? As for the Fedor fight I hope he wins it.

Post #2   5/22/08 10:19:46PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Well said on all points! Even the Kimbo ones. This is why I've always liked Timmah even though people hate on him

Post #3   5/22/08 10:44:43PM   

lordicast

MMA Regular

lordicast Avatar

Career:300-205
Camp: Boxing Is Dead
Chips:
Tims a good guy not his fault hes so awkward in the ring. His lay and prey doesnt do wonders either but what the hell if i was in there i would do whatever i had to in order to win! thats the bottom line anyway the all mighty W. hail to the "W"

Post #4   5/22/08 11:04:23PM   

Napao

Learning to Sprawl

Napao Avatar

Career:91-52
Camp: The Axe-Murdering Prodigies
Chips:
Hmm so he wants to maybe return to the UFC one day? Interesting! Veeryyyyy interesting!!

I also like Big Tim...quite a lot actually! I know he's not the most popular fighter and a lot of ppl bag his abilities...butr quite frankly thos people have NFI what they're talking about! Tim CAN fight!! You're spot on there Lordi - Not his fault he just looks a bit unco while he's doing it! :P

Jump into a cage or ring at eleven foot six and see how YOU go!!! It can't be easy, Im SURE! lol

Last edited 5/22/08 11:16PM server time by Napao
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #5   5/22/08 11:15:03PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,830-1,011
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
good article

Post #6   5/23/08 12:20:35AM   

Cdellorso

In Full Mount

Cdellorso Avatar

Career:647-447
Camp: Wild Wind
Chips:
i know Maine-e-yak is very un-pop in my camp- they call him the Big turd... (not to his face) I just hate watching him fight- he is not good on the ground. his fight with Monson- BOR-RING- I think if your Timmah and your facing Fedor you better be ready on the mat so good luck Tim I hope your "things your working on " work out against Fedor. he needs a loss - it will be good for him

Post #7   5/23/08 12:25:20AM   

chubbud22

In Full Mount

chubbud22 Avatar

Career:642-418
Chips:
I think big Tim is one of the most underestimated fighters in all of MMA. The guy gets no respect when he has pretty much fought top notch guys his whole career. I hope manages to beat Fedor and finally gets the respect he deserves. I have never been a huge fan of big Tims, but go get him big guy

Post #8   5/23/08 12:27:50AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,830-1,011
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by chubbud22

I think big Tim is one of the most underestimated fighters in all of MMA. The guy gets no respect when he has pretty much fought top notch guys his whole career. I hope manages to beat Fedor and finally gets the respect he deserves. I have never been a huge fan of big Tims, but go get him big guy

i still cant believe he was a 2-1 underdog against vera on this site.

Post #9   5/23/08 12:36:19AM   

Napao

Learning to Sprawl

Napao Avatar

Career:91-52
Camp: The Axe-Murdering Prodigies
Chips:
Oh, Cdelleroso - for SURE Fedor is gonna mess up thet pretty(!!!!!) face of Timbo's! For SURE!!! LOL

But quite frankly - who could beat Fedor at this point in time?? Not one single fighter I can think of - not even ONE! The guy is just not human - he'sl like a friggin' T2000 or something!! The one from Terminator 2!..I am CERTAIN of it!! lmao

I seem to remember reading something QUITE a while ago now - well before this gight cpould possibly have been a twinkle in anyone's eyes - that Fedor actually named Tim as someone who had a style that *could* potentially bother him! Now this came from FEDOR himself - not from anyone else...so I take that at face value!

And if FE rates The Maneiac - well, then thats good enuff for me! I sure as HELL am not gonna argue with Mr. Emelianenko in any way, shape or form!!! Noooooo SIR Mr. Emelianenko Sir - whatever u say! LMAO ;)

But answer me this: How big are Tim's cojones to even climb into the ring with FE??? = :O Man, you just HAVE to respect his heart there! I am sure he is getting well paid to do so, but still...he could EASILY have just said "No, no way! Feed me a monkey please!" - But he didn't. And I admire that!

It just boil down to the fact that the dude is just a lot better a fighter than most ppl give him cerdit for! He's not perfect or won't make any pound-for-pound lists etc - but he is very underrated!

And I like some of the things he says - he is also clearly an intelligent and thoughtful individal and has a lot of respect for people and things...he is not burning ANY of his bridges with anyone - even though he probably has every right to dump on Dana & the UFC. But he doesn't. Goodonya mate - that's SMART!

Go Big Timbo!....I hope you can acquit yourself well against Fedor! You're a braver man than I!!!!!!! lmfao ;P

Last edited 5/23/08 1:57AM server time by Napao
3 total post edits

Post #10   5/23/08 1:54:24AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Posted by chubbud22

i still cant believe he was a 2-1 underdog against vera on this site.

Yes he was. I picked Sylvia to win that one and I still stand by the fact that I think Vera isn't a top competitor at HW

Last edited 5/23/08 8:23AM server time by Jackelope

Post #11   5/23/08 8:21:56AM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
great interview.

I'm looking forward to this fight.

Post #12   5/23/08 1:47:36PM   

NinjaCyborg

Forum Banned

NinjaCyborg Avatar

Career:175-184
Camp: Double Deuce
Chips:
I'm looking forward to this fight as well.
I also was quite impressed with Tims response to why he parted ways with the UFC.
I don't really like him because I find his style rather boring, However I'm very interested in seeing how well he does against Fedor.

Post #13   5/23/08 3:33:38PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,162-1,476
Chips:
Tim is a class act all the way. "People" hate Tim Sylvia out of pure ignorance.
Great article and great guy. I hope he smokes Fedor like a morning cigarette.

Post #14   5/23/08 11:19:45PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,763-1,032
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by chubbud22

Hope 'Big Timmeh' can pull out a win too.

However i'm sure excuses will be found if the GOAT Fedor loses.....

Post #15   5/24/08 12:03:59PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2