Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Bobby Lashley Next In Line

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:
Bobby Lashley is the next former WWE star to make his way into MMA. He spoke with the Daily Star about it here:

Lashley has his sights set on MMA, and has been training hard, to avoid going in as a typical wrestler. He tells me his kickboxing and striking have come on leaps and bounds - "I want to knock people out on my feet and submit people" - and that he's looking at his debut as early as August, or even on PPV in October.

"I want to be an MMA guy who used to wrestle," he says, but he's not ruling out wrestling. Lashley's great mates Angle and Booker made the switch to TNA and have obviously been bending his ear to get him over there.

The only two companies doing PPV's in October are Affliction and UFC. I could see UFC bringing him in to face Brock Lesnar, because the marketing potential is very obvious. However, it is also clear that companies like Affliction looking for names to draw would be interested in paying him good money too. It's also possible that Elite XC could try to run a PPV in October if the May debut goes well. Kimbo v. Lashley, anyone?

That being said, companies like Affliction and Elite XC should be very wary of signing Lashley to a big contract for his name value. He was never a draw at all in the pro wrestling world, and doesn't have anywhere close to the name value of a Brock Lesnar or Kurt Angle. Without a hype machine like UFC behind his debut, Lashley is not going to draw very much.

LINK

Post #1   5/20/08 7:38:39PM   

TWITA

MMA Regular

TWITA Avatar

Career:1,424-833
Camp: TKO
Chips:
oh boy, here comes the swarm of "i want to compete in a real sport but am really just an "entertainer""

Post #2   5/20/08 7:43:49PM   

owen1

Standup Guy

owen1 Avatar

Career:845-441
Chips:
Shows how popular MMA is becoming that more WWE guys are giving it a try.
That guy looks extremly strong and athletic like Brock but its gonna take a long time and a lot of dedication if he really wants to do well.

Post #3   5/20/08 7:51:59PM   

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:

Posted by owen1

That guy looks extremly strong and athletic like Brock but its gonna take a long time and a lot of dedication if he really wants to do well.

(gotta spread it though)....yea this only means better athletes will join MMA, which can only help the sport, call them what you want ( wwe guys, pro wrestler in general) but they are amazing athletes before anything else, most of these guys were the best of the best at college wrestling before they got into pro wrestling, your talking about a guy whos record was something like a 100-5 in college wrestling (lesnar), if they want some real competition in have no problem with them joining MMA.

Last edited 5/20/08 8:04PM server time by juanez13
Edit note/reason: n/a
3 total post edits

Post #4   5/20/08 7:57:48PM   

Mchubb316

MMA Sensei

Mchubb316 Avatar

Career:838-517
Camp: Strikers Inc.
Chips:
It's good for the sport. After college wrestling there really wasn't anything after college to make money using your skills. Pro wrestiling was as close to it as possible. With MMA being bigger and bigger I think guys who are turned off of the daily grind that is pro wrestling, will opt for MMA after making a few bucks in pro wrestling.

Post #5   5/20/08 8:01:15PM   

owen1

Standup Guy

owen1 Avatar

Career:845-441
Chips:

Posted by juanez13

Posted by owen1

(gotta spread it though)....yea this only means better athletes will join MMA, which can only help the sport, call them what you want ( wwe guys, pro wrestler in general) but they are amazing athletes before anything else, most of these guys were the best of the best at college wrestling before they got into pro wrestling, your talking about a guy whos record was something like a 100-5 in college wrestling (lesnar), if they want some real competition in have no problem with them joining MMA.

Ya most great athletes adapt to new sports really quick,so the better athletes that come thats more good fight for us.
I hope that since MMA's popularity has risen so much now good college wrestlers start doing stand up and BJJ earlier.

Post #6   5/20/08 8:08:54PM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:
I think BRocks College wrestling backgrouns make shim a more legit crossover, plus he is a much bigger name then Lashely ever was.. but Lashley appeard to me to be a decent athlete, If Brock can start enjoying some legit success against better opponents and Lashley can come in and do well regardless of where he goes it may start to show people that wrestled in college that Pro Wrestling is not thier only market espically with the rise of MMA in general this could help the sport a bit as well... if established physical entertainers like wrestlers actually have success in MMA they will bring in a new fan base.. the only thing is these guys need to really be tested with trial by fire inthe ring or cage or whatever. JT erally is the only crossover I can think of who has had success in both venues, If Kurt Angle comes over and some others who also have legit success and are not fed nobodies just to make them look good it could be a good thing... my fear is Vince May decide to get involved.. and while he has hte money to pull off successful shows... His shows would always be suspect...

Post #7   5/20/08 8:20:07PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,394-1,281
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
who is next bautista?? the undertaker?? triple h??
stick to your fake wrestling dude!!!!!!!

Post #8   5/20/08 8:25:37PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,746-1,521
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

who is next bautista?? the undertaker?? triple h??
stick to your fake wrestling dude!!!!!!!

Doesn't sound like anyone posting in this thread realizes that Lashley has a very strong College Wrestling background...as well as with the the Army.

Post #9   5/20/08 8:32:24PM   

tdietel01

Standup Guy

tdietel01 Avatar

Career:83-44
Camp: OHIO TOP TEAM
Chips:

Posted by TWITA

oh boy, here comes the swarm of "i want to compete in a real sport but am really just an "entertainer""

first of all.... i do realize wrestling is fake. but these "entertainers" are far more conditioned than most mma fighters and theyre body is probably used to more punishment than mma fighters. im not trying to sh!it on mma or anything. all im trying to say is calling them entertainers makes them sound like actors. when thay are as in shape and talented as mma fighters. pro wrestlers are awesome for this sport. the more the better!!!!

Post #10   5/20/08 8:35:40PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
You guys do know he's been training at American Kickboxing Academy right? He is already a sick wrestler and AKA has been doing wonders with Kos and Fitch's stand up. This guy has a way better chance of being a Heavyweight champion then Lesnar. He will be a beast!!!

GO LASHLEY!!!

Post #11   5/20/08 9:24:20PM   

bigbubbano23

MMA Sensei

bigbubbano23 Avatar

Career:317-197
Camp: Xtreme Couture
Chips:
i hope he does come to the ufc i got the chance to meet the guy a few years ago and he is extremely nice. I think he has good potential but should train more before entering.

Post #12   5/20/08 9:25:01PM   

NeaRMisS

MMA Regular

Career:69-53
Chips:
To all the people saying or thinking about saying he needs to just stick with WWE "fake wrestling".

The guy wrestled in hs / college, and went into the army. The guy is very VERY conditioned and has put the time in other sports. Why dont you think he will do that here?

Going to WWE and making the cross over might be one of the best things. It allows him to sit on his finicial success he had in the WWE and just focus on training for MMA. Just give them a chance before you start bad mouthing, writing them off.

Post #13   5/20/08 9:39:10PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Well UFC wouldnt set up a Lashley vs Lesnar fight because both guys are inexperienced at this point and wouldnt do either any good but if they had some more fights under their belt.

but i dont see Lashley starting his career out in the UFC.

Post #14   5/20/08 9:52:02PM   

masodd

BANNED

masodd Avatar

Career:283-181
Chips:
Lashley should do really well if he dedicates his time to his striking and submission game. He is a beast of a guy and i would love to see him fight soon

Post #15   5/20/08 10:22:13PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2