Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Gomi style vs diaz

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

keith-hackney1

Belt Contender

keith-hackney1 Avatar

Career:274-221
Chips:
Gomi, as we know is a boxer with limited jj skills. Diaz is pretty much an all rounder. Why did gomi feel he would perform better against diaz on the mat?
twice he took him down but to no avail. Third time he got submitted, by a superb fighter with a bjj backround. Gomi is underated ?? ... More like Diaz is underated !! I have never known an impact to be made in pride like diaz made last night.
Def, fight of the night. He gonna be champ for a while.

Hackney's the bo$$, paid the cost to be the bo$$ !!!!!
Pimp my style, Kempo Karate mo fo.
Im the giant killer !!!!!!!

Post #1   2/25/07 2:27:58PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
At the time, I assumed he was doing what any smart MMA fighter ought to do; planting a seed of doubt in his opponent's mind. Everybody in the world has been saying Gomi is vulnerable on the mat, especially after his loss to Aurelio, so it made total sense to me that he would come out and take Diaz down straight away.

Of course, nothing Gomi did after that made any sense to me...

Post #2   2/25/07 2:36:37PM   

Kazmierz21

MMA Regular

Kazmierz21 Avatar

Career:729-446
Camp: Snatch As Snatch Can
Chips:
Diaz really just looked too big for Gomi to handle - if that fight happened 10 times I think Diaz would take at least 9 of those matches - plus Gomi didn't really seem to have that fire that he tends to bring into the ring with him - Diaz made a definite statement

Post #3   2/25/07 2:42:21PM   

keith-hackney1

Belt Contender

keith-hackney1 Avatar

Career:274-221
Chips:

Posted by Kazmierz21

Diaz really just looked too big for Gomi to handle - if that fight happened 10 times I think Diaz would take at least 9 of those matches - plus Gomi didn't really seem to have that fire that he tends to bring into the ring with him - Diaz made a definite statement

He did, i put on post he will be champ for a while, but just realised the belt wasnt on the line as pride protect their vunerable champs. Thats what seperates pridefc from the ufc. ufc put fighters against champs with the title on the line. Why have gomi vs diaz without a belt, they are two of the worlds best. ?????

Gomi is not a champ, he does not deserve to be called one because he only defends his belt against newcomers and fighters who are not capable of beating him. Pride fc do their reputation no good by ripping of the punters by putting non title fights on their shows when a champ is in the fight.

Last edited 2/25/07 2:49PM server time by keith-hackney1
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   2/25/07 2:46:54PM   

Kazmierz21

MMA Regular

Kazmierz21 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by keith-hackney1

Posted by Kazmierz21

He did, i put on post he will be champ for a while, but just realised the belt wasnt on the line as pride protect their vunerable champs. Thats what seperates pridefc from the ufc. ufc put fighters against champs with the title on the line. Why have gomi vs diaz without a belt, they are two of the worlds best. ?????

Gomi is not a champ, he does not deserve to be called one because he only defends his belt against newcomers and fighters who are not capable of beating him. Pride fc do their reputation no good by ripping of the punters by putting non title fights on their shows when a champ is in the fight.

I didn't realize that - why no title shot there? Did Diaz not suck down to meet Gomi?

Post #5   2/25/07 2:53:59PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
PRIDE doesn't need a reason to not have their champs defend. There is no reason for their madness.

Post #6   2/25/07 3:23:52PM   

Ydoc

Belt Contender

Ydoc Avatar

Career:1,371-849
Camp: Camp David
Chips:
The reason (and there is one) is very clear to me, they protect Gomi because he's a good Japanese fighter. They'll give him every chance possible to keep him on top because he's the only asian champion they have.

Post #7   2/25/07 4:07:59PM   

Kazmierz21

MMA Regular

Kazmierz21 Avatar

Chips:
Diaz did look a lot bigger than Gomi though - maybe Gomi was fighting up therefore belt wasn't on the line - does anyone know what they weighed in at?

Post #8   2/25/07 4:12:50PM   

Kazmierz21

MMA Regular

Kazmierz21 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Kazmierz21

You know what - I just watched the match again and it was closer than I remembered - Gomi just needs to do some more cardio for the rematch - it will be another brawl though

Post #9   2/25/07 6:36:46PM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:
This was the only fight that went EXACTLY as I had predicted. Diaz´s reach and precision standing fit well against a wild puncher like Gomi.

Post #10   2/25/07 7:00:39PM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:

Posted by Stickan

This was the only fight that went EXACTLY as I had predicted. Diaz´s reach and precision standing fit well against a wild puncher like Gomi.

that was my other choice........for me it was either 2 round Sub,or Split so i flipped that mental coin and it unfortunatly landed on me picking Diaz for Split

Post #11   2/25/07 8:04:23PM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:

Posted by Ydoc

The reason (and there is one) is very clear to me, they protect Gomi because he's a good Japanese fighter. They'll give him every chance possible to keep him on top because he's the only asian champion they have.

I think you are wrong. You don't have to be an Asian champ to not have to defend your belt. How many times have their other Champs defended their belts? Not many. I think that is one thing everyone can agree on, Pride sucks at having their champs defend their belts.

Post #12   2/25/07 9:10:19PM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
ok, i say gomi wins 7 out of 10 times they win..
im not takin credit away from diaz but gomi was just irresponsible this fight..
keep it standing and you'll get a KO like how it almost happened (dont know how diaz didnt get KTFO..)

Post #13   2/26/07 12:35:50AM   

Dadaman

MMA Regular

Dadaman Avatar

Career:61-42
Chips:
MMA is mostly all about style match ups. A fighter's style is defined by his nature (passive, aggressive, defensive) his adaptability, and his overall talents/skillset (BJJ/MT/Boxing/Wrestling/Judo).

Perfect example for style match ups is the Gomi fight. I don't think he was sick, or he necessarily gassed quicker. Gomi was waaaay more active this fight because he had to be. Diaz was pushing Gomi harder STANDING UP than anyone has before (except for BJ Penn who was relentless in that battle).

Gomi was forced to punch and swing with Diaz. Gomi who usually picks his shots had to aggressively defend himself against Diaz. [b]Gomi threw more punches in this 2 rd fight than he did against Aurelio in 3 rds.[/b]

Gomi that fought Diaz is the Gomi that knocked out Sakurai, pummeled Kawajiri, and smashed Ishida. It's also the same Gomi that got choked out by Aurelio. It's just that we've never seen him gas like this before because he has NEVER HAD TO FIGHT SO AGGRESSIVELY.

Diaz also had a definitive reach advantage, which is the reason he probably didnt catch any wild haymakers in the jaw. This helped him just light up Gomi with those shots. Diaz then took his jiu jitsu prowess to a level exceeding his brown belt, and choked out Gomi.

Gomi wasn't sick, this wasn't a fluke (fluke gogoplatas? yeah fuckin right). It was just a bad style match up combined with Nick's stature.

Post #14   2/26/07 3:32:32AM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:
Nick Diaz has a fuckin chin or what???lol

the force of that knockdown blow was hard enough to knock Diaz off his feet but not hard enough to daze him one bit....Same with the second punch that cut him,hard enough to make a cut 2 inches wide,but not hard enough to daze him either

people say Gomi would of done better in Japan...pfft

if they fought in Japan with a 10 min first round Gomi would of got KO'd

Post #15   2/26/07 5:25:13AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2