Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

JOSH BARNETT JUST TAKING CARE OF BUSINESS

Print  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
Former UFC heavyweight champion Josh Barnett is getting ready to take on his former training partner and friend Jeff Monson on Sunday. World Victory Road will be staging its second event at Sengoku II in Tokyo.

Barnett recently explained his preparation for his fight with Monson. “Things are going pretty well,” said the Babyface Assassin. “Here I am taking another fight. Not real close from the last one, as far as time goes, but it's pretty quickly. I'm feeling pretty good about it. I just pro wrestled recently. I'm in good shape. It's just right.”

In WVR’s first event, Sengoku, Barnett defeated Hidehiko Yoshida via heel hook. That fight was Barnett’s first fight in more than a year, so he naturally had some criticism about his performance. “I know there were things I could have been sharper at. Some of that had to do with the availability of sparring partners and what kind of workouts I was getting in prior.”

Most Americans prefer to fight in their native land; however, fighting in Japan does not bother Josh Barnett one bit. “I love working in Japan,” he commented in a recent interview on MMAWeekly Radio. “For me, it's like being at home. It's no big deal for me to go out there.”

One of the biggest reasons Barnett enjoys fighting in Japan is because of the differences in the rules as opposed to rules imposed in the United States. “You can't soccer kick, stomp or knee someone in America. They won't let you wear shoes anymore. If you want to go and fight under the more dynamic rule set, then you have to go out to Japan to get it done. I really like to have the freedom in the ring to do the techniques and kinds of things that are available to you as a martial artist.”

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   5/17/08 9:33:15AM   

Cdellorso

In Full Mount

Cdellorso Avatar

Career:647-447
Camp: Wild Wind
Chips:
I still think Barnett is under-rated- i hope he gets his poop in a group and makes it to the ufc- theu need someone to kick Lessnars ass again...

Post #2   5/23/08 12:32:54AM