Today's Topics Unanswered Topics Avatar Bets Search PM's My Props Member Directory Premium Members Recent Polls Subscriptions Rules

Sponsors

UFC Fight Night 9

Page 7 of 7   <<   4     5     6     7  
UFC Fight Night 9
Posted By Message

Ydoc
Belt Contender

Ydoc Avatar

Career record: 911-605
Season: 0-0 (#-)
Bankroll: $1,000
972 posts
Joined 2/07

Posted by Gogoplata
I agree, I thought this was the best fight of the night. Lopsided for most of the fight but entertaining, especially in the fashion that it was finished.

I love that trading subs finish, like Herman vs. Grove.

Post #91   4/6/07 12:49:37AM   

JBatch
In Full Mount

JBatch Avatar
Career record: 779-491
Camp: Triumph
556 posts
Joined 3/07
I was so disappointed in the HW matchup. Hardonk couldn't finish a submission and it looked like McCully couldn't muster a solid GNP attack. It is in my bottom five fights ever, right in the with Kevin Jordan vs. Gonzaga and Monson vs. Sylvia.

Post #92   4/6/07 12:50:43AM   

Ydoc
Belt Contender

Ydoc Avatar

Career record: 911-605
972 posts
Joined 2/07
It was awful... I used that time to use the bathroom and play around on the internet. McCully controlled it well, but I don't see much of a future for him in that weight class, I know he could drop to 205, he'd do much better there... they should have matched Hardonk with Kongo, it would have been a much better fight and given him time to work on a sprawl.

Sadly, I still think Hardonk would have won if it was Mir on the other side of the Octagon.

Post #93   4/6/07 12:55:00AM   

Gogoplata
Standup Guy

Gogoplata Avatar
Career record: 80-45
250 posts
Joined 1/07

Posted by Ydoc

It was awful... I used that time to use the bathroom and play around on the internet. McCully controlled it well, but I don't see much of a future for him in that weight class, I know he could drop to 205, he'd do much better there... they should have matched Hardonk with Kongo, it would have been a much better fight and given him time to work on a sprawl.

Sadly, I still think Hardonk would have won if it was Mir on the other side of the Octagon.

Depends on which Mir would have shown up. Beer gut Mir? Or sub you with a shoulder lock from the bottom Mir?

Post #94   4/6/07 12:58:31AM   

fedorwins1
MMA Sensei

Career record: 272-134
1757 posts
Joined 1/07
Holy crap Florian has evolved sooo much in his striking! His leg kicks were awesome some of the best I've seen! Other than that fight it was a boring night of fights and did anyone notice that there was only like 400 ppl there in that huge stadium? I guess everyone's waiting for UFC 69.

Post #95   4/6/07 9:38:56AM   

MMA
Pimpin

MMA Avatar
Career record: 322-172
650 posts
Joined 1/07
Stevenson showed a lot of class even after he made quick work of Guillard. He did not talk trash or anything, he actually gave Guillard some encouraging words. That just makes Guillard look more like a chump.

Post #96   4/6/07 10:39:42AM   

mkiv9secsupra
MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career record: 672-454
2874 posts
Joined 1/07

Posted by JBatch

I was so disappointed in the HW matchup. Hardonk couldn't finish a submission and it looked like McCully couldn't muster a solid GNP attack. It is in my bottom five fights ever, right in the with Kevin Jordan vs. Gonzaga and Monson vs. Sylvia.

that was just horrible...mccully stuck his arm out there for the arm bar as much as possible it seemed, then when hardonk finally gets an armbar he pusses out on it...for someone who trains with ortzi mccully sure needs a lot more conditioning training...well actually over all training...just as well as hardonk...two week high kicks against a guy is just going to take you down when he feels like it.......

PS: WHY WAS THIS NOT AN UNDERCARD FIGHT?!

Post #97   4/6/07 11:08:58AM   

Rush
Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career record: 467-329
6291 posts
Joined 1/07
I'm not taking anything away from Florian. He has improved his standup a lot. But IMO, a good fight has to go two ways and I thought Mishima was utter crap. Other than his near submission on Florian, I was really disappointed with the fight. Mishima didn't look like he wanted to be there (for whatever reason) and thus didn't contribute to his half of the fight. Overall, I was really disappointed with this fight.

Post #98   4/6/07 11:23:06AM   

JimiMak
WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar
Career record: 379-298
1851 posts
Joined 1/07

Posted by MMA

Stevenson showed a lot of class even after he made quick work of Guillard. He did not talk trash or anything, he actually gave Guillard some encouraging words. That just makes Guillard look more like a chump.

I couldn't agree more about Stevenson showing a lot of class (even my mother was impressed and she hates mma, just happened to catch it). That's what is so great about this sport, the fighters don't try to pretend hate and the fans don't expect to see that. I don't get how it made Guillard look like a chump. Hopefully it was humbling for him. Daddy looked so calm tonight, I was very impressed.

Post #99   4/6/07 12:18:02PM   

Trapt1nw0nder
BANNED

Career record: 432-266
1775 posts
Joined 2/07
i was gonna make a thread of this,but....Meh!

Do you all think Stevenson was about to pull a GSP,or a Hermes Franca,and beg for a title shot but then decided to pull out and just thanked god instead.?

Post #100   4/6/07 3:02:35PM   

MMA
Pimpin

MMA Avatar
Career record: 322-172
650 posts
Joined 1/07

Posted by JimiMak

Posted by MMA

I couldn't agree more about Stevenson showing a lot of class (even my mother was impressed and she hates mma, just happened to catch it). That's what is so great about this sport, the fighters don't try to pretend hate and the fans don't expect to see that. I don't get how it made Guillard look like a chump. Hopefully it was humbling for him. Daddy looked so calm tonight, I was very impressed.

Because Guillard was a total jackass from the start to the beginning of the fight (he did not even touch gloves) and he got smoked by Stevenson. Usually, you would expect someone (even a nice guy) to talk a bit of trash later, but Stevenson was totally in check of his ego.

That just makes Guillard look more like a fool than if Stevenson decided to talk trash during the post-fight interview. You talk all this trash about how you are going to beat the guy and how you are the best, while the other guy just lets his actions do the talking for him.

Post #101   4/6/07 3:46:26PM   

Page 7 of 7   <<   4     5     6     7  
Username:

Password:

Keep me logged in