Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC Fight Night 9

Print  
  Page 1 of 7     1     2     3     4   >>
Posted By Message

MMA

Pimpin

MMA Avatar

Career:672-349
Chips:
UFC Fight Night 9: APRIL 5, 2007 Live on Spike
The Palms in Las Vegas, Nevada

Main Card Bouts:
Joe Stevenson vs. Melvin Guillard
Kenny Florian vs. Dokonjonosuke Mishima
Antoni Hardonk vs. Justin McCully

Preliminary Bouts:
Drew Fickett vs. Keita Nakamura
Wander Braga vs. Kurt Pellegrino
Kuniyoshi Hironaka vs. Forrest Petz
Wilson Gouveia vs. Seth Petruzelli
Naoyuki Kotani vs. Thiago Tavares
Roan Carneiro vs. Rich Clementi

Last edited 3/20/07 6:51AM server time by MMA
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #1   2/25/07 11:13:52AM   

shackle

Standup Guy

shackle Avatar

Career:152-97
Chips:
I must say.. other then one fight this is a very lacking fight night.

I was hoping to see some better fights... oh well it's free woot! :)

Post #2   2/25/07 12:55:57PM   

Bountytaker

MMA Regular

Career:116-77
Camp: House of Granite
Chips:
Other than Ken-Flo v. Mishima, not much of interest for me.

War Ken-Flo!

Post #3   2/25/07 1:35:11PM   

Gogoplata

Standup Guy

Gogoplata Avatar

Career:83-45
Chips:
Stevenson v. Guillard should be good. Always fun to see Frank Mir gas in the first 30 seconds of a fight, too.

Post #4   2/25/07 1:45:47PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
I noticed this isn't listed in "My Upcoming Events" yet.

Anyhoo, I think this is a good card for a UFC Fight Night.

I'm still pulling for Mir to rebound, but my hopes are fading. Honestly, he might be better off stretching his legs and going to some other promotions for a couple of years. 4 or 5 fights in KOTC or Cage Rage or BodogFight or whatever could be good for him. He's only 26 or 27. I bet he could take on guys like Tony Bonello or Semmy Schilt.

I've never seen Braga fight, but he's 10-0 with 6 submissions. He's got a win in WEC and two in KOTC. Pellegrino's a submissions guy, too.

I thought Gouveia looked pretty good against Jardine last Summer, but I didn't see his win over Combs.

Post #5   2/25/07 2:15:08PM   

nroth63

Learning to Sprawl

Career:32-21
Chips:
OK card. Three fights that I would like to see.

Post #6   2/25/07 5:47:58PM   

Playground_Samurai

I EAT POOP

Playground_Samurai Avatar

Career:2,359-1,249
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
I think this is a pretty good fight night card.

Has a great main event IMO with Stevenson/Guillard. The outcome of this fight will say alot about where they stand in the LW division. I believe the winner will probably be somewhere relatively close to a title shot and the loser will be put in the position of starting low and working their way up again.

I'm also looking forward to the Mishima/Florian fight. I've been kinda "iffy" on where I rank Florian in the LW division, and I think this fight will help me with my decision. Mishima is definatly a descent fighter and IMO has the POTENTIAL to compete with the top fighters. I think alot of people underestimate Florian, and this fight should be able to either justify this or solidify him as a POTENTIAL contender.

Just my opinion.

Post #7   2/25/07 6:41:09PM   

aceprone

Standup Guy

aceprone Avatar

Career:1,037-635
Camp: Slackers
Chips:
For a free fight card, the main fights aren't to bad. Sure Mir has been very lackluster and I think he'll get owned again and has turned into the gate keeper for the heavy weight division, but I don't see him doing to well. His mind isn't there anymore.

I think Ken Flo will upset. I like him alot and I think he can pull it off. His got alot of heart. If Mishima doesn't come prepared, he'll get embarrassed.

With the Melvin and Stevenson, this is a war waiting to happen. I think Stevenson will take it by sub in the second round. But Stevenson is going to take a punishment to earn that sub.

Post #8   2/25/07 6:48:00PM   

Violentcuv

In Full Mount

Violentcuv Avatar

Career:828-495
Camp: OHIO TOP TEAM
Chips:
I'm looking more forward to the Stevenson Fight than any other.

Post #9   2/25/07 7:48:44PM   

SteedTheDeed

Standup Guy

SteedTheDeed Avatar

Career:786-501
Chips:
i wanted frank to get someone easier, so he could get a convincing win.

Post #10   2/25/07 8:10:56PM   

Broknmunky

MMA Regular

Broknmunky Avatar

Career:205-104
Camp: duXup
Chips:
I would like to see Mir win but the gassing problem is going to be a factor I think. The Florian fight should be a good one but the Guillard/Stevenson fight will be the fight of the night. My pick would be Guillard by KO.

Post #11   2/26/07 8:47:10AM   

Bountytaker

MMA Regular

Career:116-77
Camp: House of Granite
Chips:
My problem with the Stevenson/Gilliard fight is that, although both have quite a bit to gain, they each have much more to lose.

In my experience, most fights that have two fighters with a lot to lose, end up being boring affairs. Lot's of "feeling out", or "ring dancing" or "wet blankets".

I hope I'm wrong....but right now I just don't see either guy taking too much of a risk in this bout. Result = decision (and probably somewhat controversial)

Was wondering what people think about Ken-Flo getting a second shot at Sherk if he beats Mishima? The division is stacked, so others probably deserve a shot...but how long should he toil in contender bouts if he goes on a decent winning streak?

Post #12   2/26/07 11:43:18AM   

a1strait

Learning to Sprawl

a1strait Avatar

Career:214-114
Camp: TEAM KILLDEM
Chips:
I doubt Ken-flo would get a shot if he beats Mishima because Hermes Franca is next in line for a title shot and after him will probably be the winner of BJ and Pulver

Post #13   2/26/07 11:47:22AM   

SICKRICK

Banned

Career:29-13
Chips:
WELL the mir fight will be a waste who care about stevenson, and i cant stand ken the flo floriassss.... so i say its about as wastefull as it can get

Post #14   2/26/07 12:48:03PM   

Dadaman

MMA Regular

Dadaman Avatar

Career:61-42
Chips:
I'm eager to see Frank Mir fight. This is his make-or-break fight.

I'm always glad to see Stevenson and Guillard fight, put em together and even BETTER!

Dokonjunosoke Mishima vs. Kenny Florian has fireworks written all over it. These guys are gonna match up well.

The rest of the card seems pretty iffy. They shoulda put Huerta, Edgars, or Guida on this card. Those guys are my up-and-coming lightweight picks for the year.

Post #15   2/26/07 1:49:26PM   

Page 1 of 7     1     2     3     4   >>