Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

C.B. Dollaway On the Death Of ASU Wrestling

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
A graduate of Arizona State University and its wrestling program, which was recently dropped in the face of budget constraints, cuurent TUF contestant C.B. Dollaway has written a column about the move and its likely impact on wrestling & MMA today and tomorrow.

Article

Post #1   5/16/08 12:13:42PM   

Raykill

TAKING A BREAK

Raykill Avatar

Career:289-247
Chips:
Great article, I wish I could give CB props. I am the VP of my sons wrestling booster club for his high school. We worked really hard to get the program up to a higher standard. We had to do a mass amount of fund raising because we just don’t get the funds needed from the school. It all goes to the football team or elsewhere.

We usually have about 11 tournaments in the year and the school pays for one. We have to pay for the rest. It sucks to see these guys work so hard everyday after school to be the best they can and not get the recognition they deserve.

It is not an easy sport....

We have been lucky to have a great support system. We have managed to get the cheerleaders to come out to the home duals, my daughter is on the drum line so we got them to come out to the home duals and perform. I mean we really busted our asses to get people fired up and want to come out and be a part of the team’s events.

Our school even hosted our first tournament this last season.
Joe Stevenson wrestled for our school and I have to give him mad props. He came out and hosted a private clinic for our kids and then came back the next day with Cub Swanson and put on an exhibition fight that we were able to sell tickets to, to help raise funds for the team.

Anyhow, making this lllooooonnnggggg. I just agree, you bust your ass in a sport that is really physically demanding and no one seems to care...
Sorry for the long read, just hit a sore spot with me..

Last edited 5/16/08 1:12PM server time by raykill
Edit note/reason: spelling

Post #2   5/16/08 1:04:31PM   

teddythetuna

In Full Mount

teddythetuna Avatar

Career:1,164-752
Chips:
They need to keep programs like this at all costs IMO

Post #3   5/16/08 1:08:14PM   

mikevolz

Standup Guy

mikevolz Avatar

Career:183-111
Camp: The Stedman Effect
Chips:
well wrestling doesn't bring in a lot of money, so they cut it and it makes financial sense. The NCAA fees are ridiculous for sports, plus scholarships i mean the difference between a sport being a 'club' vs being an 'ncaa' sport in college is almost 6 figures a year.

add in everything else to a sport that clearly doesn't bring in that kind of money. and its rough.

Post #4   5/16/08 1:17:37PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
good article. I have him picked to make it to the finals this season at least if not to win it all.

Post #5   5/16/08 5:18:56PM   

F--K_Luck_AuH2O

Banned

Career:340-195
Chips:
I use to wrestle for ASU...but left after being unable to gain scholarship. O now wrestle at GCU (Grand Canyon University), it added wrestling last year and is now the only team left in AZ (Both of our Community College Wrestling Programs bit the dust in 2007). The problem with ASU wrestling is that they have no support from the commuinity.

ASU recruits from out of state, and only cares about sucess. They recruit maybe two wrestlers from AZ each year. As a result they are a very good team, but have no support from the surounding community.

Nobody comes to the meets, nobody donates money...nobody cares. The past two years have been the first years in ASU's existance that they have not had any All-Americans. This year was the first year Sunkist held their national tournament somewhere other than ASU.

ASU only had the support of its school board and the sunkist kids national team...when they lost their support by not performing, they should have looke dto gain the support of the wrestling community...but they didn't

ASU has bitch and moaned to the Arizona wrestling community for years how we don't support the only college team in the state. They blamed us; saying that the wrestling community of AZ was not a tight nit community. They were wrong. AZ wrestling is very strong, and very good. But the wrestlers have nowhere to go. Unless they are given scholarships to out of state colleges they can't affors the out of state tuition to compete. ASU limitred walkons, and never recruited in state. Why should the AZ wrestling community support and shell out had earned money to watch a team that doesn't support AZ wrestling itself.

Up until last year the only place AZ wrestlers had to go was Pima Community College (Drew Fickett, Jesse Forbes, Jamie Varner, Efrain Escudero). Then last year that program got cut. The AZ wrestling community came together and fought/funded Grand Canyon Universities Team. The GCU team is 90% AZ born wrestlers. The team fills out the gym for meets, and has lots of funding...why because it supports AZ wrestling.

Do I want ASU to demise...no of course not. If you have read my previous posts on the matter you would know that I want it to survive...and I think the MMA community should help keep it afloat. However, CB Dollaway is wrong. ASU did it to themselves in terms of funding...

...but still Title IX was what pushed it over the edge.

Post #6   5/16/08 7:19:56PM   

bls1919

Banned From Forums

bls1919 Avatar

Career:308-183
Chips:
I think that a school losing wrestleing as a sport is ridiculous. Especially a university that charges a huge amount for tuition. Although i think the recent boom in MMA will actually have a positive effect in the course of wresteling as a sport. But it will be a long time before that happens, maybe 10 yrs or better. Maybe it just me because i gew up wrestling. And love it. But there are three top guys in the UFC that went to college not more than 90 miles away from where i live( Lock Haven being the longest trip ) Josh Koscheck went to Edinboro University(45 miles away). Frank Edgar went to Clarion U(30 miles), and Tim Boetsch went to Lock Haven. I have a bias toward the sport and think that it will be as important as training for BJJ IMO.

Post #7   5/16/08 10:02:12PM   

whardin19

MMA Sensei

whardin19 Avatar

Career:1,004-606
Camp: B-Robs Terror
Chips:
Sad day when a wrestling program has to be taken out like this. As for Dollaway. I can't wait to see him fight this week on TUF. I watched a few of his fights on YouTube and he looked really good. I also have heard hes the favorite to win the show. I want to see if he lives up to that with his first fight. Because I see about 2 or 3 others guys on this show that are looking really good.

Post #8   5/17/08 11:34:08AM   

F--K_Luck_AuH2O

Banned

Chips:
I was at a wrestling tournament earlier today and I was interviewed by the local news on the subject...if that video gets upoloaded online I'll add it to the video section

Post #9   5/18/08 2:37:40AM   

F--K_Luck_AuH2O

Banned

Chips:
Also, how the hell can they have 8 mens sports and 12 women's...how does that equal things out? Screw Lisa Love. They have women's field hockey and water polo...Arizona High Schools don't even offer these sports...how are they suppose to get community support.

Post #10   5/18/08 2:47:52AM