Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

B.J. Penn: "I'm going to be the bigger man" at UFC 84

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

CantAndleDaRiddum

I Got My Black Belt in MMA

CantAndleDaRiddum Avatar

Career:299-192
Chips:
With one of the year's most-highly anticipated match-ups a little more than a week away, it should be of little surprise to anyone that the always-confident B.J. Penn (12-4-1, 7-3-1 UFC) feels sure he will walk away from his UFC lightweight title bout with ex-champ Sean Sherk (32-2-1, 4-2 UFC) victorious.

What may be surprising is how "The Prodigy" feels he will defeat "The Muscle Shark" -- by putting Sherk on his back.

Penn discussed the upcoming main-event bout of "UFC 84: Ill Will" while a guest on Thursday's edition of TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com), a content partner of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

"I'll be able to put Sean Sherk on his back, and from there pass his guard, mount him, and start beating on him," Penn said.

A hallmark of Sherk's career has been the ability to utilize superior strength, wrestling and conditioning to control his opponents on the mat, and ground-and-pound his way to victory. The Hilo, Hawaii native doesn't believe that will be the case in this title bout.

"I definitely feel that I'm going to be the bigger man when we step in to the ring," Penn said. "I feel I'm going to be a stronger man also. ... I'm not going to let him hold me down and do his thing where he tries to rabbit punch [me] to death."http://mmajunkie.com/news/4351/b-j-penn-im-going-to-be-the-bigger-man-at-ufc-84.mma

WAR BJ!

Post #1   5/15/08 11:56:02PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
i dont think so haaah. bj is getting put on his back. i love how this fight has got so hyped up, its great!

Post #2   5/16/08 12:08:26AM   

RMFG_187

Banned

RMFG_187 Avatar

Career:349-223
Chips:
im gonna win an av bet, im gonna win an av bet.

BJ is goin down.

Sherk by UD!

Post #3   5/16/08 12:34:03AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:2,028-1,165
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
BJ thinks he's going to be the bigger man ? Does he mean that literally i wonder.......

Post #4   5/16/08 12:43:15AM   

ChokeUout

In Full Mount

ChokeUout Avatar

Career:446-268
Chips:
If both fighters play to their own strengths, I think it's a pick 'em fight. Personally I take Sherk by UD.

But If BJ is serious about trying to out-muscle sherk and take him down, he's gonna lose, big time. I know BJ has improved his conditioning, but all that took was to stop eating Big Macs and Ding-Dongs. I still think Sherk is more conditioned and pushed a much faster pace than BJ. So if BJ is the one trying to take down sherk (which I don't think he can do), he's gonna blow that much more energy. He'd be better off to stay calm, keep the fight standing (where I think he has the advantage) and if he gets taken down, use his BJJ skills to reverse or submit sherk. But if he tries to "be the BIGGER man" against Sherk, a gigantic 155 pounder, he's doomed.

Keep in mind BJ might just be saying this to throw sherk off. But if that really IS BJ's plan, it's a stupid one, and he's gonna lose.

Post #5   5/16/08 12:53:34AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,003-1,643
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by ChokeUout

If both fighters play to their own strengths, I think it's a pick 'em fight. Personally I take Sherk by UD.

But If BJ is serious about trying to out-muscle sherk and take him down, he's gonna lose, big time. I know BJ has improved his conditioning, but all that took was to stop eating Big Macs and Ding-Dongs. I still think Sherk is more conditioned and pushed a much faster pace than BJ. So if BJ is the one trying to take down sherk (which I don't think he can do), he's gonna blow that much more energy. He'd be better off to stay calm, keep the fight standing (where I think he has the advantage) and if he gets taken down, use his BJJ skills to reverse or submit sherk. But if he tries to "be the BIGGER man" against Sherk, a gigantic 155 pounder, he's doomed.

Keep in mind BJ might just be saying this to throw sherk off. But if that really IS BJ's plan, it's a stupid one, and he's gonna lose.

BJ will put him on his back, but he won't be shooting...Sherk will. Sherk will not want to stand with BJ for too long, or he'll be in trouble. When Sherk shoots in, he'll only get one leg, BJ will gain control, and he'll secure the takedown. BJ will pass guard, gain mount, and start throwing leather. Sherk will not like getting punched in the face and give up his back. Penn by RNC. Penn's conditioning will not come into play, as the fight won't go the distance.

Post #6   5/16/08 1:04:55AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,951-1,087
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Bingo, i guess alot of people here dont realize how vulnerable sherk is going to be on his back and how incredibly hard its going to be to take down bj.

Post #7   5/16/08 1:58:09AM   

89vision

In Full Mount

Career:98-46
Chips:
whats the point of arguing with sherk fans (AKA penn haters) once hes beaten sherk then they will just bandwagons saying hes #1

Post #8   5/16/08 2:05:29AM   

chubbud22

In Full Mount

chubbud22 Avatar

Career:642-418
Chips:

Posted by RMFG_187

im gonna win an av bet, im gonna win an av bet.

BJ is goin down.

Sherk by UD!

You are going to lose an Avatar bet

War BJ

Post #9   5/16/08 2:37:22AM   

Near07

MMA Regular

Near07 Avatar

Career:2,004-1,466
Camp: TheAxeMurdererz
Chips:
I am actually a bit surprised that people think Bj will loose, Sherk isn't going to be the same fighter he was. Bj will stop Sherk early, tko or sub either way he will win. Bj will dominate the lightweights for a while!! It will be a good night of fights!!

Post #10   5/16/08 3:47:51AM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Career:553-358
Camp: Team BloodLoss
Chips:
i think bj will hiti him enough to take away the conditioningandcontrol sherk has

Post #11   5/16/08 6:48:46AM   

whardin19

MMA Sensei

whardin19 Avatar

Career:1,004-606
Camp: B-Robs Terror
Chips:
After reading this article I think BJ is the one that's on drugs. He's going to put Sherk on his back? This guys got to be kidding! I mean seriously Sherk is a freak of nature. BJ better stop stirring this pot. Sherk is gonna be the one putting BJ on his back not the other way around. I see Sherk taking BJ down everytime he can. Sherk by UD.

Post #12   5/16/08 7:52:01AM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career:2,109-1,190
Chips:

Posted by whardin19

After reading this article I think BJ is the one that's on drugs. He's going to put Sherk on his back? This guys got to be kidding! I mean seriously Sherk is a freak of nature. BJ better stop stirring this pot. Sherk is gonna be the one putting BJ on his back not the other way around. I see Sherk taking BJ down everytime he can. Sherk by UD.

Did u just watch sherk's "caveman" training? is that why you sound so confident sherk's gonna take it? Sherk's gonna come out banging early then will go for a shoot, shoot again, then again and again. Penn's gonna pick him apart until he decides to choke sherk out. I honestly don't see Roidy McRoider getting past the 2nd

Last edited 5/16/08 7:57AM server time by D0wnUnd6e6r
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   5/16/08 7:56:39AM   

taporsnap26

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
the only chance sherk has of winning is if he survives the first two rounds. i know, i know, bj says his cardio is so good now. truth is, he could have doubled his cardio and he would still gas hard in the second round. if sherk can somehow last two rounds, he's got a good chance of winning via gnp, like hughes. all that being said, i really want bj to win.

Post #14   5/16/08 8:19:46AM   

browneye

BANNED

browneye Avatar

Career:189-122
Chips:
Bj will win by submission but lets say Sherk does pull off a win it will be a decision win and thats it. if it goes to the ground Sherk is done for

Post #15   5/16/08 9:26:08AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2