Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Biggest PRIDE 33 Upset?

Print  
which was the BIGGEST upset of the night for you?
Hendo/Silva 1 2%
Nog/Sokoudjou 42 78%
Diaz/Gomi 11 20%
None 0 0%
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Gogoplata

Standup Guy

Gogoplata Avatar

Career:83-45
Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

Sokoudjou's win was the kind of thing people are talking about when they say that a guy "has a puncher's chance." Simply put, any MMA fighter at this level has a non-zero chance to defeat any other MMA fighter. One guy zigs when he should zag, and eats a punch and that's that.

On the other hand, Diaz's defeat of Gomi was comprehensive and incontrovertible. He took control of the fight and bludgeoned Gomi repeatedly. He connected with tons of punches, and not one of them was a fluke. He implemented his game plan and controlled the fight. He took damage and kept fighting. He reacted and adapted to the changing situation. He attacked with multiple weapons. Gomi did none of these things.

I absolutely 100% agree. Even after taking a huge shot from Gomi in R1, Nick recovered quickly, got to guard, and was trying submissions. As the commentators stated last night and as we all know, Diaz is VERY hard to finish. He certainly showed it last night.

When Gomi was hurt, he was bouncing around the ring, hands down, throwing wild punches. On a night when he should have been prepared to shine in front of a US crowd, he put Nick Diaz over in Pride.

Post #16   2/25/07 12:30:06PM   

Kazmierz21

MMA Regular

Kazmierz21 Avatar

Career:729-446
Camp: Snatch As Snatch Can
Chips:

Posted by zephead

NIck proved just how tough he is. Gomi hit him with everything (I actually think I saw him throw the kitchen sink) and Nick just kept coming. Gomi must have been like, "WTF, dude won't stay down." Nick has the heart of a champion.

I agree wholeheartedly - even though I picked Gomi to win (I thought he would show up better than that) Diaz was just too tall, long and tough for Gomi - Diaz looked like he was back in his mashing of Robbie Lawler form - great thing about Diaz is that he is only 23 years old (with 21 fights under his hat) - he's got a lot of time to continue to shape and mold his game and when it is all said and done he could be one of the best - he's got all the tools (submissions, take downs, defense, KO power, the heart of a lion) now he just needs to string it all together to get on a lengthy win streak

Post #17   2/25/07 2:35:22PM   

ButterBalls

Jiu-Jistu Bean

ButterBalls Avatar

Career:265-159
Chips:
The Nog fight was definetly a huge upset, I never in a 100 years would have predicted that.

Gomi looked like trash. He screwed up all of my predictions....except

Dan Henderson. I predicted that win, and man was it amazing.

Post #18   2/25/07 3:25:05PM   

TheArtOfWar

Learning to Sprawl

TheArtOfWar Avatar

Career:229-159
Camp: Wicked Wizards
Chips:
Nog / Sokoudjou
a 100$ bet on sokoudjou get back more than 1600$!
If only i could return in the past...

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #19   2/25/07 3:28:15PM   

SteedTheDeed

Standup Guy

SteedTheDeed Avatar

Career:786-501
Chips:
many were suprising but no one expected the thierry v nog match.

Post #20   2/25/07 7:30:12PM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:

Posted by TheArtOfWar

Nog / Sokoudjou

if you could return to the past why put only $100 on him?

thats a funny emoticon you posted

this place needs better emoticons

Post #21   2/26/07 12:06:21AM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
Pride 33: Night Of Upsets

that's what they should change the name to...

biggest upset was definatly thierry vs lil nog.. diaz stood a great chance, so did silva.. but i won a lot of money off the hendo/silva fight!

!!

Post #22   2/26/07 12:15:15AM   

TheArtOfWar

Learning to Sprawl

TheArtOfWar Avatar

Career:229-159
Camp: Wicked Wizards
Chips:

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by TheArtOfWar

Nog / Sokoudjou

if you could return to the past why put only $100 on him?

thats a funny emoticon you posted

this place needs better emoticons

Yeah I would have bet much more, that was for the example

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1
Photo Attachment 2
Photo Attachment 3

Post #23   2/26/07 7:38:32PM   

Savy

MMA Regular

Savy Avatar

Career:61-50
Camp: Snatch As Snatch Can
Chips:
Hendo beating Silva IMO was not a surprise, not an upset. If they fought again I'd still pick Hendo 100%. Its incredible that 9 out of 10 people thought Silva would win.
Who knows? Maybe they fight again soon...
Its hard to call the Nogueira KO a big surprise. Not too much was known about Sokoudjou besides he's young, athletically he's a physical specimen and he trains w/ Team Quest. Of course ya gotta assume that Nog can win because of the caliber fighter he has proven to be over and over. But its hard to completely count somebody out that was pretty much a mystery.
Gomi losing to Diaz blew my f!@#$%^ mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That Pride 33 may be my favorite event that I've ever watched. Can't wait to watch it all over again later!

Last edited 2/26/07 8:38PM server time by savy
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #24   2/26/07 8:36:14PM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:

Posted by Savy

Hendo beating Silva IMO was not a surprise, not an upset. If they fought again I'd still pick Hendo 100%. Its incredible that 9 out of 10 people thought Silva would win.
Who knows? Maybe they fight again soon...
Its hard to call the Nogueira KO a big surprise. Not too much was known about Sokoudjou besides he's young, athletically he's a physical specimen and he trains w/ Team Quest. Of course ya gotta assume that Nog can win because of the caliber fighter he has proven to be over and over. But its hard to completely count somebody out that was pretty much a mystery.
Gomi losing to Diaz blew my f!@#$%^ mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That Pride 33 may be my favorite event that I've ever watched. Can't wait to watch it all over again later!

lol...i've already seen this event like 5 times!! and im still cant wait to see it again!

i predicted Diaz winning the fight,but never would i have thought seeing Gomi be so desperate...if it were someone else beating Gomi it would of been an upset for me,but Nick Diaz is one of my favorite fighters

Post #25   2/26/07 8:46:00PM   

Northrend

In Full Mount

Northrend Avatar

Career:110-62
Camp: Team Pride
Chips:
I gota say Nog getting Ko'ed is the biggest upset. Even though Gomi loosing was a huge upset as well I feel that Diaz is a preety good fighter and thought it was possible for him to win just not probable. With that said I had no idea who Nog was fighting (no disrespect meant just never heard of the guy prior Pride 33) and I expected a pure domination by nog.

Post #26   2/26/07 9:06:28PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2