Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Biggest PRIDE 33 Upset?

Print  
which was the BIGGEST upset of the night for you?
Hendo/Silva 1 2%
Nog/Sokoudjou 42 78%
Diaz/Gomi 11 20%
None 0 0%
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:
I gotta go with Nog getting KTFO hardcore style.....

I was rooting for Hendo so i am really happy about that one,and also the Nick Diaz fight was exactly how i predicted....nick beating gomi to the punch all first round and annoying gomi with those baby punches nick throws and forcing gomi to take him down and get submitted..

My Prediction

Post #1   2/25/07 7:44:14AM   

Broknmunky

MMA Regular

Broknmunky Avatar

Career:205-104
Camp: duXup
Chips:
I'm kicking myself for picking Silva over Hendo. I didn't think about the Nevada rules being in place. I'm also kicking myself for picking Gomi. I thought it was going to be his night and was I wrong! Even though I picked Nog, that's one I'm not kicking myself for. Never thought he would get KO in R1. I thought these were for sure picks for me and the ones I wasn't real sure on I won......go figure!

Post #2   2/25/07 8:25:56AM   

Kudos

Learning to Sprawl

Kudos Avatar

Career:72-49
Chips:

Posted by Broknmunky

I'm kicking myself for picking Silva over Hendo. I didn't think about the Nevada rules being in place. I'm also kicking myself for picking Gomi. I thought it was going to be his night and was I wrong! Even though I picked Nog, that's one I'm not kicking myself for. Never thought he would get KO in R1. I thought these were for sure picks for me and the ones I wasn't real sure on I won......go figure!

Gomi was beating the crap out of Nick until he gas. If they fought again Gomi would definitely win. Hadn't Gomi decided to go to the ground, he might have won because one of Nick's eye was pretty much shut.

Post #3   2/25/07 8:29:37AM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Chips:

Posted by Kudos

Posted by Broknmunky

Gomi was beating the crap out of Nick until he gas. If they fought again Gomi would definitely win. Hadn't Gomi decided to go to the ground, he might have won because one of Nick's eye was pretty much shut.

watch the fight....gomi did not land 1 clean shot while Diaz was on the ground(begining of the 1st)

besides....gomi gasses for a reason..what kind of excuse is that?

Post #4   2/25/07 8:44:58AM   

Berti

MMA Regular

Berti Avatar

Career:1,652-935
Camp: Cat's Den
Chips:
i think the gomi diaz fight was crazy, that first round the whole party was loud and jumping around, the nog fight happen so quick you was in shock for a sec, like wah happen, but the gomi/diaz brawl was exactly that a brawl, and entertaining as hell...i predicted diaz by sub rd. 2 but just because we predicted it doesnt me it wasnt the biggest upset...ask all the gomi fans how upset they are right now....and i love it..lol...gomi overrated and diaz showed it.

berti

Post #5   2/25/07 9:21:11AM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Chips:

Posted by Berti

i think the gomi diaz fight was crazy, that first round the whole party was loud and jumping around, the nog fight happen so quick you was in shock for a sec, like wah happen, but the gomi/diaz brawl was exactly that a brawl, and entertaining as hell...i predicted diaz by sub rd. 2 but just because we predicted it doesnt me it wasnt the biggest upset...ask all the gomi fans how upset they are right now....and i love it..lol...gomi overrated and diaz showed it.

berti

i agree.....we had the same predictions on who would win btw..

i would give you props but i am maxed out till 24 hrs pass...so tomorrow i will

Post #6   2/25/07 9:27:17AM   

crimethinc

MMA Regular

crimethinc Avatar

Career:81-61
Camp: Camp Baby Dumpster
Chips:
The biggest upset was Lil Nog and Sokoudjou. But I think the most shocking was Takanori "Freestanding Heavy Bag" Gomi.

Post #7   2/25/07 10:26:46AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
Sokoudjou's win was the kind of thing people are talking about when they say that a guy "has a puncher's chance." Simply put, any MMA fighter at this level has a non-zero chance to defeat any other MMA fighter. One guy zigs when he should zag, and eats a punch and that's that.

On the other hand, Diaz's defeat of Gomi was comprehensive and incontrovertible. He took control of the fight and bludgeoned Gomi repeatedly. He connected with tons of punches, and not one of them was a fluke. He implemented his game plan and controlled the fight. He took damage and kept fighting. He reacted and adapted to the changing situation. He attacked with multiple weapons. Gomi did none of these things.

Post #8   2/25/07 10:37:29AM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
I didnt think anyone really cared about the Sokoudjou vs lil Nog fight b/c everyone though it would just be domiaton for Nog.

I think Gomi vs Diaz. I mean that Gogoplata was quick nad sick. Besides that Diaz didnt just get a lucky punch. He was there the entire time battling (and beating) Gomi. I think Diaz would have won a descision if he hadnt got that sub.

Post #9   2/25/07 10:46:31AM   

crimethinc

MMA Regular

crimethinc Avatar

Career:81-61
Camp: Camp Baby Dumpster
Chips:

never mind.

Last edited 2/25/07 10:51AM server time by crimethinc
Edit note/reason: I posed something and then changed my mind.
2 total post edits

Post #10   2/25/07 10:49:12AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by madmarck

I think Diaz would have won a descision if he hadnt got that sub.

Unquestionably. He didn't just beat Gomi, he beat him up.

Post #11   2/25/07 11:32:45AM   

TroubleMan

MMA Regular

TroubleMan Avatar

Career:2,324-1,231
Chips:

Defintely Nog losing was the biggest upset.

Everybody expected Diaz to be competitive with Gomi and Hendo to be competitive with Silva. Nobody thought Sokoudjou, a guy who lost to Ed Heman, had any chance at all at beating Nog.

Post #12   2/25/07 11:35:10AM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
NIck proved just how tough he is. Gomi hit him with everything (I actually think I saw him throw the kitchen sink) and Nick just kept coming. Gomi must have been like, "WTF, dude won't stay down." Nick has the heart of a champion.

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #13   2/25/07 11:35:50AM   

Violentcuv

In Full Mount

Violentcuv Avatar

Career:828-495
Camp: OHIO TOP TEAM
Chips:
No doubt its Lil Nog. It took about five minutes for it to really sink in for me.

Last edited 2/25/07 11:44AM server time by Violentcuv
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #14   2/25/07 11:43:52AM   

Thalzaar

Learning to Sprawl

Thalzaar Avatar

Career:1,231-735
Camp: Mack Mafia Hitsquad
Chips:

No doubt its Lil Nog. It took about five minutes for it to really sink in for me.

I'm still tryin to let it sink in.

Post #15   2/25/07 12:27:16PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2