Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Affliction VP Atencio Debunks Rumors

Print  
Posted By Message

Porch28

BANNED

Porch28 Avatar

Career:506-292
Chips:
After months of hush-hush negotiations and a rumor mill working overtime, clothing company Affliction has stepped out of the shadows to announce its entry into fight promotion.

In an appearance on “Inside MMA” last week, Affliction vice president Tom Atencio announced a card to be held July 19 at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif., featuring a laundry list of top fighters including the ever-elusive Fedor Emelianenko.

Several published reports have put Emelianenko’s asking price at between $1.5 and $2 million. On top of that, a report on Sports Illustrated’s online magazine put total value of fighter’s purses north of $6 million.

LINK

Last edited 5/14/08 9:03PM server time by porch28
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   5/14/08 9:02:15PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
I'm just curious if Golden boy has a hand in this at all. Thats alot of money and if a boxing promoter gets ahold of a card like that everyone in the US will think it's the be all and end all if they're just casual fans....we hardcore fans know how good it is

Post #2   5/14/08 9:28:11PM   

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

I'm just curious if Golden boy has a hand in this at all. Thats alot of money and if a boxing promoter gets ahold of a card like that everyone in the US will think it's the be all and end all if they're just casual fans....we hardcore fans know how good it is

Golden backed out, they said they jsut werent sure about MMA right now, but said they would get into MMA in the years to come when the sport is more solidified, and right now they want to stick to boxing.

Anyways, these is a great Card, but its gonna be a huge failure for affliction, they have a bunch of Great Talent with No name, all of whom are getting Paid very well (fedor 1.5 Mil, sylvia 800k, etc...) none of these guys are capable of carrying a card, and most people that will watch are Hardcore fans(which overall equal to very few), and thats gonna hurt them alot.

Post #3   5/14/08 9:45:35PM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:
I saw Tom Atencio on Inside MMA. What he said really interested me and got me thinking.

He talked about having a band play during the event. He also talked of Affliction being more than a clothing company. He said they were a entertainment company.

Could they be holding large MMA events 3 or 4 times a year as mere promotions for their brand? Take a loss, treat it as advertisement and such.

With the way most org's are now, they could line up some great talents for one fight deals and always have these great cards. They didn't sign anyone exclusively, did they? I know Rothwell and Sylvia are signed to Adrenaline.

They also have Ozzy and Korn signed. I think when they want to reaccess in 9 months, to determine if they want to still be "carnival barkers" (that be key), they weren't kidding.

Kind of like the bowl games. The Nokia Sugar Bowl. However, instead of them buying sponsorship from another organization, they are ones organizing it all.

Post #4   5/14/08 11:20:00PM   

thatfedorsohotrightnow

banned

Career:142-108
Chips:

Posted by roadking95th

I saw Tom Atencio on Inside MMA. What he said really interested me and got me thinking.

He talked about having a band play during the event. He also talked of Affliction being more than a clothing company. He said they were a entertainment company.

Could they be holding large MMA events 3 or 4 times a year as mere promotions for their brand? Take a loss, treat it as advertisement and such.

With the way most org's are now, they could line up some great talents for one fight deals and always have these great cards. They didn't sign anyone exclusively, did they? I know Rothwell and Sylvia are signed to Adrenaline.

They also have Ozzy and Korn signed. I think when they want to reaccess in 9 months, to determine if they want to still be "carnival barkers" (that be key), they weren't kidding.

Kind of like the bowl games. The Nokia Sugar Bowl. However, instead of them buying sponsorship from another organization, they are ones organizing it all.

Interesting theory. A recent example of this is Microsoft's X-box. They used Xbox to build overall brand awareness while operating at a massive loss. To the tune of several billion. Only recently has the Xbox division of Microsoft turned a profit.

If Affliction is doing this it will really make the world of MMA an exciting place.

Post #5   5/15/08 12:41:35AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,989-1,152
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Somebody else must be involved.

Where is the money coming from ?

Surely just a clothing company can't afford a $6 million plus purse

Post #6   5/15/08 12:44:51AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by juanez13

Posted by cmill21

Golden backed out, they said they jsut werent sure about MMA right now, but said they would get into MMA in the years to come when the sport is more solidified, and right now they want to stick to boxing.

Anyways, these is a great Card, but its gonna be a huge failure for affliction, they have a bunch of Great Talent with No name, all of whom are getting Paid very well (fedor 1.5 Mil, sylvia 800k, etc...) none of these guys are capable of carrying a card, and most people that will watch are Hardcore fans(which overall equal to very few), and thats gonna hurt them alot.

Anyone know about a ppv deal in Japan? Or any sort of TV deal there. My first thought when they said it would be in a ring was that they could be planning to show it in Japan and they don't like the cage. Then if it is it will be a huge success, Fedor is capable of carrying a card there even if he's fighting a child lol.

Post #7   5/15/08 1:13:07AM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,503-1,200
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:
At 6 mil for the fighters, I am going to be surprised if they make it through the night let alone to a second card.

Post #8   5/15/08 10:48:22AM   

hodge

Standup Guy

hodge Avatar

Career:442-256
Chips:
Fedor is gonna beat Timmays ass

Post #9   5/15/08 1:14:12PM