Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Huge boost to UFC

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

SteedTheDeed

Standup Guy

SteedTheDeed Avatar

Career:786-501
Chips:
PRIDE just put on one of the most exciting events in MMA history. PRIDE just got huge U.S. exposure, which it needed.

Post #16   2/25/07 7:34:58PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,993-1,122
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I just love MMA, I still think Pride should sell to Fishman. He has the money and connections to improve their production, and pay top talent.. That being said, as far as fight's go, most exciting Pride card ever. This may hurt some of their fighter's/execs ego's and make nutthuggers trade shots, but it really helped their US exposure IMO. Any casual fan who bought it will probably become a fan of both the UFC and pride now. Who knows, they make even start watching the IFL, EliteXC, Bodog, and WEC since they are on the TV in places in the US. Next thing you know they are online and watching shooto, cage rage, ICON, TKO, Deep, and others. After that they are ordering DVD's and telling their friends about it. Now they are a diehard MMA fan. The domino effect of this card does nothing but help Pride and all MMA IMO.

Last edited 2/25/07 8:03PM server time by hippysmacker
Edit note/reason: n/a

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #17   2/25/07 8:02:25PM   

Pyrenus

MMA Regular

Pyrenus Avatar

Career:430-263
Camp: Team World Class
Chips:
I miss knees and kicks to a downed opponet. I hope the athletic commissions here will add those soon.

Post #18   2/25/07 9:42:43PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,993-1,122
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Dana has said he will try to get knees added. Marc Ratner is on the job now , so it might get done. I personally don't like soccer kicks/stomps as I think they are the most likely thing to cause a deaht in MMA and they look barbaric to the casual eye. Still, knees would really make wrestlers more careful with their shots , and help them when they did get a guy down. So I think we will see knees in time

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #19   2/26/07 2:34:43AM   

Dadaman

MMA Regular

Dadaman Avatar

Career:61-42
Chips:
I don't think this takes much away from Pride FCs mass marketing campaign towards the casual fan.

The casual viewer doesn't even really begin to associate Pride with "ultimate fighting". If you asked the casual viewer what he thought about Pride and UFC he'd probably say "oh UFC is ultimate fighting in a cage" and he probably wouldn't even know what the hell Pride FC is.

I've shown Pride and UFC to complete newbs and at first they don't even immediatly make a connection ebtween the two. Then finally someone asks "hey isn't this like ultimate fighting"?

Now if you ask the intermediate fan who has followed the UFC regularly and has a vague idea of what Pride FC is then yes, their opinion of Pride is lessened because now they think Pride is below the UFC in terms of fighters because Wandy got KOd and some kid who couldn't even make it in the UFC 170 lb div. clobbered and submitted one of your top stars.

Posted by hippysmacker

Dana has said he will try to get knees added... I think we will see knees in time...

I sure hope so. Knees and elbows on the ground would make things more interesting. I'd love to see stomps and soccer kicks too though.

Post #20   2/26/07 3:14:13AM   

JunCTion

READY TO SMILE AND LOVE LIFE!!

JunCTion Avatar

Career:543-390
Camp: Camp David
Chips:

Posted by Dadaman

I don't think this takes much away from Pride FCs mass marketing campaign towards the casual fan.

The casual viewer doesn't even really begin to associate Pride with "ultimate fighting". If you asked the casual viewer what he thought about Pride and UFC he'd probably say "oh UFC is ultimate fighting in a cage" and he probably wouldn't even know what the hell Pride FC is.

I've shown Pride and UFC to complete newbs and at first they don't even immediatly make a connection ebtween the two. Then finally someone asks "hey isn't this like ultimate fighting"?

Now if you ask the intermediate fan who has followed the UFC regularly and has a vague idea of what Pride FC is then yes, their opinion of Pride is lessened because now they think Pride is below the UFC in terms of fighters because Wandy got KOd and some kid who couldn't even make it in the UFC 170 lb div. clobbered and submitted one of your top stars.

Posted by hippysmacker

Dana has said he will try to get knees added... I think we will see knees in time...

I sure hope so. Knees and elbows on the ground would make things more interesting. I'd love to see stomps and soccer kicks too though.

i see your point but i personally disagree. i was a casual ufc fan but pride is what got me hooked. there were no boring fights, good fighters were brought back win or lose, bas/quadros, good interviews, better and more informative fight intros and fightewr backround info, that awsome lady with the sexy voice introducing the fighters and the fans. there emotion really helped me understand over time what a well executed fight was, especially the ground game. i didnt know how an arm bar or a triangle was started or that the 2 guys rolling around on the ground getting out of eachothers sub attempts was good grappling but when you here the fans start screaming and cheering you pay more attention. i love ufc and pride but if i have a choice ill choose pride any day.
and now, i could care less about "double double e"

Post #21   2/26/07 3:30:39AM   

Macho_Matt

Learning to Sprawl

Macho_Matt Avatar

Career:31-16
Camp: Kamikaze
Chips:
This was a great show for Pride and MMA in general!

Great show in the US, which will expand the US fan base of Pride. They will likely need this going forward into the future. Their next PPV from Japan will be on US pay-per-view live, so they want to sell to US fans.

The Americans beat the foreign fighters in the USA. This is huge for Pride in the US. Americans like myself like seeing americans beat up on other countries. So Hendo and Diaz winning will make the average US fan happy with the results. More casual American MMA fans will want to watch now to see what happens to your American Hero Hendo as he defends two titles, and the american underdog Diaz as he persues a title!

This all means ratings in the US! They already have a Japanese fan base. They won't go anywhere. They will want to see their hero the Fireball Kid get revenge.

I see dollar signs for Pride. Wish I could buy them myself!

UFC will benefit as well because MMA will just become more popular!

Post #22   2/26/07 2:18:55PM   

poll77

MMA Regular

poll77 Avatar

Career:29-23
Camp: Team Havoc
Chips:
Manfred

Posted by JoeMimic

I really still feel like the casual fan still has no idea who or what Pride is

Bar quote from UFC 67 "Man, Cro Cop is really good, why is this his first time in the "big leagues"

that is some funny shit, ive heard similar comments but that one takes the cake

Last edited 3/1/07 8:32PM server time by poll77
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #23   3/1/07 8:30:42PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2