Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Huge boost to UFC

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

dstlvb

MMA Regular

dstlvb Avatar

Career:373-248
Chips:
The biggest winner from tonights fights i belive is the UFC. Wandy losing puts Dana in the driver seat of the UFC vs Pride war. He can now argue that Wandy isnt in Chucks leauge if he cannot even beat a Welterweight in Pride. Whether that is true or not is not as important as the perception it creates. Dana also has more ammo that Pride calling out the UFC is simply for them to try to save face becauase there are in trouble.

Even though they let him go, Diaz could be considered a UFC guy who was not in contention and went over and beat the #1 LW in the world. Not only beating him but doing it in a convicing manner.

Dont get me wrong a do not wish to see Pride sell or limp on. I think this was a much better card than the first one and i am glad i orderd it. All the general public wants to talk about is Chuck/Wandy and thi plays right into Dana's hands.

Post #1   2/25/07 3:34:45AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
I completey disagree. I think this helped Pride a hell of a lot. You've got to remember, dudes on this forum, who actually follow and come out to talk about MMA are maybe 5% of the audience for it right now. The general audience doesn't talk about Wandy vs. Chuck because they've never seen Wandy fight until tonight. What they saw were a bunch of great fights, and they'll hopefully order Pride events and attend Pride events in the future.

It might have given UFC nuthuggers more ammo, but I couldn't care less about them anyways, so I see this as a positive thing. Any strong card is good for the sport.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #2   2/25/07 3:49:37AM   

JoeMimic

MMA Regular

JoeMimic Avatar

Career:1,741-1,058
Camp: The Underground
Chips:
I really still feel like the casual fan still has no idea who or what Pride is; It's hard to spend $40 on some fighters maybe you've never heard of before when you've got a Randy Couture/Tim Sylvia PPV a week away. I think this really helped Pride with the hardcore fans and helped any new fans who might have been watching. I couldn't help but notice how empty that building was...more then a few seats available. It was a great card and I for one am happy that I ordered.

Post #3   2/25/07 3:57:10AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:
I talk fights with a lot of customers at work, and a good deal of them were watching Pride for the first time tonight. Pride did a pretty good job advertising on the PPV channels, so it clearly drew in some fans, and hopefully they were impressed.

As for attendance, it was pretty full up by the main event. I don't know why people would buy a ticket and not show up for anything but the last few fights, but whatever. People do that with concerts too.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #4   2/25/07 4:11:31AM   

hypocalking

Learning to Sprawl

hypocalking Avatar

Career:71-50
Camp: Sherdog All Stars
Chips:
^^^^^^^^^ Wrong how can you logically say that???? Silva has tested himself against HWs unlike Chuck. Silva had a bad night. Is that impossible?

Post #5   2/25/07 6:00:17AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:
Er.....I didn't say that.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #6   2/25/07 6:04:16AM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:
do you all think Dana White is kicking himself for letting Nick Diaz go?

Nick Diaz has always been 1 of my favorites,and i am happy that he went to Pride i think he will do much better there,but i would really like Nick to get paid man!!!

he puts it all out there on the line and shows alot of heart so i hope he gets a HUGE payday soon.he deserves at least 50k per fight,cuz you know you will always get a great show with Nick!

Post #7   2/25/07 7:26:54AM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Career:596-351
Chips:

Posted by JoeMimic

I really still feel like the casual fan still has no idea who or what Pride is

Bar quote from UFC 67 "Man, Cro Cop is really good, why is this his first time in the "big leagues"

Post #8   2/25/07 8:13:58AM   

Kudos

Learning to Sprawl

Kudos Avatar

Career:72-49
Chips:
I don't see how it's a huge boost to UFC. Hughe and Franklin both lost their belts. It just prove that champion can be beaten by newcomers. Now if CroCop and Rampage unseat Tim/Randy and Chuck, would that be a huge boost to Pride? I don't think so since they are UFC fighters now. Diaz is a Pride fighter now and there's nothing wrong with Pride fighter beating another Pride fighter.

With Pride 33, it allow Pride to make new match-ups. Hendo vs Shogun/Arona/Trigg, Silva vs Lil Nog/Rameu, Diaz have more fighters to fight now and he might do better at lightweight. What Pride needed was some new stars and they got it at Pride 33.

Post #9   2/25/07 9:19:32AM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
I'm a fan of all MMA. Pride 33 helps Pride and MMA in general. Great fights. Showing Nick Cage, Harrison Ford, Chuck Norris and Herschal Walker all night helps out. People will say, "If they watch and attend then it must be cool."

The Nog fight, the Wandy fight and Gomi fight showed that if you stand and bang, anything can happen. It shows that fighters are getting better and better. That you can't take anybody lightly. It makes what Fedor and Chuck are doing, that much more impressive.

Great card. Great fights. Great production. Now hopefully, both the UFC and Pride, will quite acting like little kids and embrace what each other is doing for the sport. It's only getting bigger. Spike TV, ShowTime, Vs, HDNet and FSN are all onboard. Next up could be ESPN and HBO.

Please Dana and Jerry Millen quit with the "We're the best, no, we're the best" garbage and just do what is best for MMA. It is blowing up and sooner or later people will get tired of the high school games.

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #10   2/25/07 10:20:23AM   

Dalkiel

Learning to Sprawl

Career:87-62
Camp: For The Win
Chips:
I know I'd buy more Pride events if they dropped the crazy screaming announcer woman.

Post #11   2/25/07 11:14:26AM   

Kudos

Learning to Sprawl

Kudos Avatar

Career:72-49
Chips:

Posted by zephead

I'm a fan of all MMA. Pride 33 helps Pride and MMA in general. Great fights. Showing Nick Cage, Harrison Ford, Chuck Norris and Herschal Walker all night helps out. People will say, "If they watch and attend then it must be cool."

The Nog fight, the Wandy fight and Gomi fight showed that if you stand and bang, anything can happen. It shows that fighters are getting better and better. That you can't take anybody lightly. It makes what Fedor and Chuck are doing, that much more impressive.

Great card. Great fights. Great production. Now hopefully, both the UFC and Pride, will quite acting like little kids and embrace what each other is doing for the sport. It's only getting bigger. Spike TV, ShowTime, Vs, HDNet and FSN are all onboard. Next up could be ESPN and HBO.

Please Dana and Jerry Millen quit with the "We're the best, no, we're the best" garbage and just do what is best for MMA. It is blowing up and sooner or later people will get tired of the high school games.

I agreed man. Who care who the best organization. It's all about the fighters and the fans. Give the fan exciting and entertaining fights is what it's all about.

Post #12   2/25/07 12:00:57PM   

JunCTion

READY TO SMILE AND LOVE LIFE!!

JunCTion Avatar

Career:543-390
Camp: Camp David
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

I completey disagree. I think this helped Pride a hell of a lot. You've got to remember, dudes on this forum, who actually follow and come out to talk about MMA are maybe 5% of the audience for it right now. The general audience doesn't talk about Wandy vs. Chuck because they've never seen Wandy fight until tonight. What they saw were a bunch of great fights, and they'll hopefully order Pride events and attend Pride events in the future.

It might have given UFC nuthuggers more ammo, but I couldn't care less about them anyways, so I see this as a positive thing. Any strong card is good for the sport.

dido. i whatched ufc for a while and really liked it. but when i saw pride for the first time i loved it. more energy, more excitement, very few boos, bas/quadros, always competitive matches. bringing back loosing fighter cause they put up a great fight (not just dumping them after a couple of losses.

i think this helps mma, pride and their us fan base a lot. i dont think it helps ufc at all. the ufc is so readily available to the casual fan (TUF, TUF finale, fight night, unleashed, inside the ufc, all the replays of these events, ALL OF THIS ON FREE TV). pride is only available on fsn once and a while. if i was a newb and this was the first pride event i ever saw, i would definitely want to order the next pride ppv, not the next ufc (i can watch ufc anytime for free).

Post #13   2/25/07 12:01:31PM   

dstlvb

MMA Regular

dstlvb Avatar

Career:373-248
Chips:
I liked the PPV and thought they were great fights. Posted on this website is the radio interview of Dana and the Pride US guy going back and forth on the fighter issue. One of the big questions to Wandy at his workout was Chuck. Im not talking about the people that come to the forums, we are not fueling this surge in MMA popularity. It is the media outlets that continue to pick of the stories and sending more and more reporters to the events. That is where most average joe fans get there info. They all want to talk Chuck/Wandy. Pride stance for a very long time is that Wandy has been the best 205 fighter in the world, since like you mentioned he has tested himself against the best in the world at different wieght classes. The UFC disagerees of course. To the average fan who have no idea about who Wandy has fought, his lose to Hendo, who most put as a decent underdog calls his status into question. Die hard fans of a sport, and the ones on this board deal in the reality of the sport. the casual fan deals wit hthe perception that the media puts forth. The media is very uneducated about MMA. I think Dana was incredibly happy Wandy lost. Which is kinda ironic becuase i do belive it was a boost to Pride US. I only ordered the card because some plans fell through. Glad that they did. I hate that crazy announcer woman also.

Last edited 2/25/07 1:03PM server time by dstlvb
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #14   2/25/07 1:01:02PM   

Jeffanori-Gomi

Standup Guy

Career:34-26
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
I think a lot of MMA nerds like us often times forget about the entertainment value of
these events. Win or lose that card was really exciting and entertainment value above all builds organizations. As far as this Pride card hurting PRIDE and helping UFC I think all it helps are nutthuggers on both sides of the line and gives MMA nerds like us reasons to haggle over petty things

IMO I think the UFC would benefit from some huge upsets in the LHW, and HW division to keep us on our toes!

Post #15   2/25/07 1:27:23PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2