Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Does Chuck and Wandy go out the window?

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

MattHughes

MMA Regular

MattHughes Avatar

Career:87-35
Camp: themmaboards.com
Chips:
I would still like to see this fight happen. I'd rather Chuck vs Wandy than Chuck vs Rashad or Jardine.

Post #16   2/25/07 4:15:00PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
Wandy loses a match and everyone discredits him? Damn, if the man won everyone would continue to proclaim as the steamroller he has been. Everyone loses matches people, give the guy a break. Couture obliterated Lidell in their first match, and Liddell came back to win decisively in both return matches. Hendo is a skilled fighter and he happened to come out on top. SImple as that. Wandy vs Chuck would still be a huge draw.

Post #17   2/25/07 4:24:36PM   

Kazmierz21

MMA Regular

Kazmierz21 Avatar

Career:729-446
Camp: Snatch As Snatch Can
Chips:

Posted by warglory

Wandy loses a match and everyone discredits him? Damn, if the man won everyone would continue to proclaim as the steamroller he has been. Everyone loses matches people, give the guy a break. Couture obliterated Lidell in their first match, and Liddell came back to win decisively in both return matches. Hendo is a skilled fighter and he happened to come out on top. SImple as that. Wandy vs Chuck would still be a huge draw.

It would still be a good fight but I think Wandy has shown the chink in his armor and needs to evolve a little now - he'll still mash most opponents but the guys at the top of the food chain have some real good film on how to beat him now - I think Chuck would hand him a much worse beating then Hendo just did unless he switched up the game plan a little bit - Shogun v. Chuck on the other hand would be a truly great match

Post #18   2/25/07 4:35:07PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by Kazmierz21

Posted by warglory

It would still be a good fight but I think Wandy has shown the chink in his armor and needs to evolve a little now - he'll still mash most opponents but the guys at the top of the food chain have some real good film on how to beat him now - I think Chuck would hand him a much worse beating then Hendo just did unless he switched up the game plan a little bit - Shogun v. Chuck on the other hand would be a truly great match

Well of course he needs to evolve, but doesn't this go without saying for anyone who loses a fight? Liddell got his ass handed to him by Rampage, but how many people think Liddell would be a pushover now for Rampage? I for one think Chuck would beat Rampage decisively if/when they fought. Silva lost a match, it happens to the best. He will train, watch the match over and over, and train somemore. He beat Henderson once, so he knows he can beat him. Wanderlei looked human, God forbid. :-p I think the next time we see Silva fight, it's going to be a slaughterfest in his favor.

But I agree, Shogun vs Chuck would be fantastic.

Post #19   2/25/07 4:43:07PM   

jocksmall

In Full Mount

Career:213-134
Chips:
would love to see this fight more than any other. chuck would be favored for reasons already outlined but wandy can beat anyone at any weight

Post #20   2/25/07 6:20:19PM   

jaba

MMA Regular

jaba Avatar

Career:18-18
Camp: Team Big Guns
Chips:

Well here's a small counter argument to that, and that's the fact that Wandy is only 30. He technically hasn't hit his prime yet. So for him to be on a down slope right now isn't too good for his career. I know I've said this before, but I really think that knockout by Cro Cop really effective him. It's similar to "post tramadic stress," to a soldier. "The Crow," is another good example of this. Never the same. So actually right now would be the perfect time for Chuck to fight Wandy because subconciously Wandy is going to be afraid of getting knocked out. It would nail the coffin shut for sure. And yes, Wandy and Chuck should of happened this past year, before any of this.

But I do agree that a Chuck vs. Shogun is a better match up. Shogun is a more complete fighter then Wandy and he is on a role.

Ye i think your right, theres no way he could get washed up at such a young age. The cro cop fight was the first time he got Ko/TKo ed in like 8 years. He propably built up so much pride thinking he was invincible and then to get dominated so badly probably did screw with his head. I dont know why he would be so bothered by this though, i mean he stepped in the ring with the #2 fighter in the world who was outweighing him in that fight,. just steppin in the ring with cro cop and not quiting even after breakin his ribs and takin a brutal shot too the face proves how great he is.

Post #21   2/25/07 7:20:35PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:

Posted by aceprone

Posted by JimiMak

Posted by Manfred

"He just got his head kicked in" -Dana shouting back to a fan after the CC fight

"He just got knocked out by a MW" - Dana's probably reply now.

Unfortunately, IF this happens, A win by Chuck would be diminished by Wandy's possible lack of confidence. Personally, I think this fight should've happened last summer and now it'll go down like Saku/Rickson. I'd rather see Shogun/Chuck at this point.

I've been saying this for months now. This is another Saku/Rickson. Shogun/Chuck has been more interesting, IMO, since Rua's GP win (if not before). They didn't fight in their primes, and that can't be changed. Chuck's level is still good enough to make for some interesting dream matches, but they need to happen fast. Wandy, i think, we are just watching the beginning of hiim not being up to par (for him). If they fight it will be when they're both too old, and no matter who wins (prob'ly Chuck) the other's fans will say "What if this had happened in 2000-2006?"

Well here's a small counter argument to that, and that's the fact that Wandy is only 30. He technically hasn't hit his prime yet. So for him to be on a down slope right now isn't too good for his career. I know I've said this before, but I really think that knockout by Cro Cop really effective him. It's similar to "post tramadic stress," to a soldier. "The Crow," is another good example of this. Never the same. So actually right now would be the perfect time for Chuck to fight Wandy because subconciously Wandy is going to be afraid of getting knocked out. It would nail the coffin shut for sure. And yes, Wandy and Chuck should of happened this past year, before any of this.

But I do agree that a Chuck vs. Shogun is a better match up. Shogun is a more complete fighter then Wandy and he is on a role.

I don't know how you're calculating prime, it differs in different sports because of different demands on the body (strength, longevity, etc). This is still a young enough sport where it's hard to guage but for someone to be on top for more that 5-10 years is still all but unheardof. It's not about age it's about battles sometimes. and Wandy has had a lot of battles for 30. He started this way younger than chuck did. He may not even be going down, but plateauing. Unfortunately for him Chuck seems to have another few in him before we can start making that guess. And Shogun I think has the next few years to surpass both of them. Maybe post traumatic stress is part of it, but in this business that's not something Wandy can afford to have. And trust me I have been a Wandy fan for years and always will be, and don't care for Chuck. I hope I'm wrong but I think a KO loss to Hendo was the wake up call.

Post #22   2/25/07 11:09:46PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,959-1,110
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Dana's comments the day after seem to say htis fight is done. However, I'm sure this is just talk. If Wandy wanted to (and is free too ) come to the UFC, I bet this match gets made in a minute. We've all wanted to see it forever, and they could sell it. I still have hope

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #23   2/27/07 4:37:01AM   

OchoCinco

MMA Regular

OchoCinco Avatar

Career:1,150-729
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
I know I don't care if Wandy lost I still want to see him face Chuck. I think this is most real fans opinion. The fact that he is no longer the Pride champ should make it more likely he would jump to fight Liddell. He needs to let Shogun hold the Pride belt for a while.

Post #24   2/27/07 6:25:33AM   

brodieros

MMA Regular

brodieros Avatar

Career:101-69
Camp: Oklahoma Top Team
Chips:
Dana White: Liddell vs. Silva Matchup No Longer a Possibility
Posted by Performify on February 27, 2007 at 2:52 pm ET

Wanderlei SilvaAccording to a report from Canada’s CBC, UFC President Dana White is now completely discounting the possiblity of a future matchup between current UFC light heavyweight champion Chuck “The Iceman” Liddell and recently dethroned PRIDE Fighting Championships middleweight champion Wanderlei Silva.

As we previously reported, Silva was defeated this weekend at PRIDE 33 by MMA veteran Dan Henderson.

The article quotes Dana White as saying:

“I’m pissed off he didn’t lose to Chuck. They (Pride) threw away the biggest fight in MMA history. Not only are they No. 2, they’re not the brightest bulbs on the porch either… I wanted that Wanderlei Silva fight so bad. I knew Chuck Liddell would knock him out. I knew it and it’s gone. I don’t know, we’re trying to figure out what we’re going to do with Chuck next.”

White goes on to say yet again that Liddell will likely move up in weight to take on top heavyweights. The article quotes Dana as saying, “Chuck doesn’t have too many more options now at light-heavy and Chuck’s already talking about going after a couple of the bigger guys.” But most interesting to me:

Asked if Pride’s Mauricio (Shogun) Rua would make a good substitute for Silva against Liddell, White said: “Nobody knows who the hell Shogun is.”

Well that says it all... you can find this on about any MMA site you look at. I would have loved to see this but Wandi couldn't prove he recovered from crop cop against a Welter Weight. i know Dan is the WW champion but Wandi was the Middle Weight champ. Chuck's hands are better than Dan's.

Post #25   2/27/07 3:57:14PM   

Northrend

In Full Mount

Northrend Avatar

Career:110-62
Camp: Team Pride
Chips:

Posted by brodieros

Wanderlei SilvaAccording to a report from Canada’s CBC, UFC President Dana White is now completely discounting the possiblity of a future matchup between current UFC light heavyweight champion Chuck “The Iceman” Liddell and recently dethroned PRIDE Fighting Championships middleweight champion Wanderlei Silva.

As we previously reported, Silva was defeated this weekend at PRIDE 33 by MMA veteran Dan Henderson.

“I’m pissed off he didn’t lose to Chuck. They (Pride) threw away the biggest fight in MMA history. Not only are they No. 2, they’re not the brightest bulbs on the porch either… I wanted that Wanderlei Silva fight so bad. I knew Chuck Liddell would knock him out. I knew it and it’s gone. I don’t know, we’re trying to figure out what we’re going to do with Chuck next.”

White goes on to say yet again that Liddell will likely move up in weight to take on top heavyweights. The article quotes Dana as saying, “Chuck doesn’t have too many more options now at light-heavy and Chuck’s already talking about going after a couple of the bigger guys.” But most interesting to me:

Asked if Pride’s Mauricio (Shogun) Rua would make a good substitute for Silva against Liddell, White said: “Nobody knows who the hell Shogun is.”

Well that says it all... you can find this on about any MMA site you look at. I would have loved to see this but Wandi couldn't prove he recovered from crop cop against a Welter Weight. i know Dan is the WW champion but Wandi was the Middle Weight champ. Chuck's hands are better than Dan's.

WTF does he mean no one knows who shogun is? He got the biggest cheers at Pride 33 in Vegas (was there) even bigger then Hendo/Silva. In Japan he is preety popular as well. Dana seems like a dick in my opinion.

Post #26   2/27/07 4:31:54PM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:

Posted by Northrend

Posted by brodieros

WTF does he mean no one knows who shogun is? He got the biggest cheers at Pride 33 in Vegas (was there) even bigger then Hendo/Silva. In Japan he is preety popular as well. Dana seems like a dick in my opinion.

dude..he is right

of course us hardcore MMA fans know who the hell he is,but the casual American fan dont know him.People barely knew who Wandy was and you expect them to know who Shogun is? there are only 14K people in the crowd and if they showed up and bought tickets for a pride event they must be well knowledged on the sport and know who shogun is....but there are still Millions of casual MMA fans out there who dont know him(the ones who buy the PPV's where it really counts)

people cheer'd hard for Shogun cuz he said "I LOVE YOU AMERICA"...of course people are gonna cheer for a oversea's fighter from Brazil who dont know english saying he loves us.

Post #27   2/27/07 5:06:51PM   

Northrend

In Full Mount

Northrend Avatar

Career:110-62
Camp: Team Pride
Chips:

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by Northrend

Posted by brodieros

dude..he is right

of course us hardcore MMA fans know who the hell he is,but the casual American fan dont know him.People barely knew who Wandy was and you expect them to know who Shogun is? there are only 14K people in the crowd and if they showed up and bought tickets for a pride event they must be well knowledged on the sport and know who shogun is....but there are still Millions of casual MMA fans out there who dont know him(the ones who buy the PPV's where it really counts)

people cheer'd hard for Shogun cuz he said "I LOVE YOU AMERICA"...of course people are gonna cheer for a oversea's fighter from Brazil who dont know english saying he loves us.

Nah man I meant when he first came out at the start of the night, was insane how many ppl cheered for him (before he said I love america)
I see what you mean with the american fans though

Post #28   2/27/07 5:09:47PM   

brodieros

MMA Regular

brodieros Avatar

Career:101-69
Camp: Oklahoma Top Team
Chips:
I was quoting, thats Dana's opinion and i think he is referring to the people who just watch the fights at bars and people who don't really know MMA. the main part is Wandi screwed up his chances at Chuck.

Post #29   2/27/07 8:58:56PM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
i really hope tito beats some sense into dana white when they box.

Post #30   2/27/07 10:05:39PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3