Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Mir and Big Nog to Coach TUF 8

Print  
  Page 3 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

Mchubb316

MMA Sensei

Mchubb316 Avatar

Career:838-517
Camp: Strikers Inc.
Chips:

Posted by emac_cleary

does mir get the next title shot??? thats a horrible decision by the ufc mir is a one dimensional fighter no place for him to be a trainer never mind a title contender (no disrespect to mir but he needs to improve his striking and cardio before i think he can be a top 10 hw)

I'm sure he will bring a striking coach with him. He is a seasoned vet and should be a good learning experience for all the guys on the show.

Post #31   5/12/08 9:45:16PM   

clintjack

MMA Regular

clintjack Avatar

Career:851-536
Chips:
It would be awesome if Lil Nog was an assistant coach.

Post #32   5/12/08 10:50:08PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
I think Mir will actually be the better coach here. Their BJJ skills are so good that neither really will have any advantage when it comes to explaining how to set up or escape any moves.
The only reason i can give is really Mir speaks english and Nogs is a little hazy at best.
Mir can step right in and say you're doing it wrong or if you move like this it will work better were as Nog will have to either speak in broken english or tell someone else to tell the guys hes training.
Either way these are two of the best fighters to coach TUF. Should be a great show to watch!

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #33   5/12/08 11:21:37PM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Career:596-351
Chips:
They should all have a clause promising to not cut to LHW until at least 2 years after the show (if they stay in the UFC)

They need HWs, but they should've picked better coaches IMO. Mir hasn't looked that great since 2004. The Lesnar fight could've easily gone the other way.

And while Nog has good technical boxing, his best asset (besides his jits obviously) is his ability to take ridiculous amounts of abuse. That can't be taught. They didn't need to use HWs as coaches.

Post #34   5/12/08 11:32:07PM   

holt8081

MMA Sensei

holt8081 Avatar

Career:604-346
Chips:
will they be able to understand Big Nog.

Post #35   5/12/08 11:40:55PM   

RMFG_187

Banned

RMFG_187 Avatar

Career:349-223
Chips:
Nog will make an excellent coach and an excellent team when he brings some of his trainers and instructors etc.

on the other hand, im not sure Mir is enough of a veteran to have the same amount of knowledge as Nog has to share with the rookies. but from what i've seen on his commentating and other videos, he seems to know a lot about MMA and BJJ.

but I dont think this will even be a good season at all.

Post #36   5/13/08 12:37:36AM   

RMFG_187

Banned

RMFG_187 Avatar

Career:349-223
Chips:

Posted by Manfred

They should all have a clause promising to not cut to LHW until at least 2 years after the show (if they stay in the UFC)

They need HWs, but they should've picked better coaches IMO. Mir hasn't looked that great since 2004. The Lesnar fight could've easily gone the other way.

And while Nog has good technical boxing, his best asset (besides his jits obviously) is his ability to take ridiculous amounts of abuse. That can't be taught. They didn't need to use HWs as coaches.

They need to find TRUE HW's. not just 220, but 230+, and well i dont really agree about the clause, but it sure would help the HW division a lot in the near future. but a lot of stars coming out of TUF were in TUF in a higher class. Koscheck, Rashad, Sanchez, KenFlo, Bisping, Jardine just to name a few.

Post #37   5/13/08 12:43:05AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,782-1,038
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by clintjack

It would be awesome if Lil Nog was an assistant coach.

Anderson Silva and Lil Nog being assistant coaches is a real possibility imo as they all train together anyway!!

(probably need an interpreter as part of his staff too)

Post #38   5/13/08 1:12:09AM   

F--K_Luck_AuH2O

Banned

Career:340-195
Chips:
Told ya so.

Post #39   5/13/08 2:18:26AM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Career:596-351
Chips:

Posted by RMFG_187
but a lot of stars coming out of TUF were in TUF in a higher class. Koscheck, Rashad, Sanchez, KenFlo, Bisping, Jardine just to name a few.

Exactly my point, they need to build HW div. The only TUF 2 HWs that are still in the UFC (Evans and Jardine) are now LHWs. I think they need true HWs and not just guys who move up to get a shot in the UFC. (Danzig)

Not that it was wrong in the past, but the div. is so pitiful that they need to keep any new prospects at HW.

Post #40   5/13/08 3:23:56AM   

DaMaGeInC

MMA Regular

DaMaGeInC Avatar

Career:1,196-786
Camp: Team Topaz
Chips:
a win against lesner doesnt earn you the next title shot i dont see how that works. mir is a talented man but i think another fight is needed before he is a coach, a year lay off is the worst thing i ever herd between these 2, not saying they wouldnt be good coaches but this is gonna be pretty lame for the heavyweight division for a year boring.....

Post #41   5/13/08 4:17:38AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,255-1,187
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by DaMaGeInC

a win against lesner doesnt earn you the next title shot i dont see how that works. mir is a talented man but i think another fight is needed before he is a coach, a year lay off is the worst thing i ever herd between these 2, not saying they wouldnt be good coaches but this is gonna be pretty lame for the heavyweight division for a year boring.....

Think about it this way...

Lesnar/Mir brought TONS of new fans (wrestling fans) to the UFC. Those fans tuned in to watch the almighty Brock Lesnar "destroy" Frank Mir. Obviously, that didn't happen. So, now those fans know the name "Frank Mir" because he beat their guy. Maybe they'll tune in to a title match featuring Mir now.

Of course, I could be wrong, but it makes sense to me.

My only gripe is that I wish (like it was stated above) TUF8 would feature true HW's.

Post #42   5/13/08 9:36:54AM   

Ben_Hutch

Banned

Career:282-168
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by DaMaGeInC

Think about it this way...

Lesnar/Mir brought TONS of new fans (wrestling fans) to the UFC. Those fans tuned in to watch the almighty Brock Lesnar "destroy" Frank Mir. Obviously, that didn't happen. So, now those fans know the name "Frank Mir" because he beat their guy. Maybe they'll tune in to a title match featuring Mir now.

Of course, I could be wrong, but it makes sense to me.

My only gripe is that I wish (like it was stated above) TUF8 would feature true HW's.

Completely.

Post #43   5/13/08 9:41:40AM   

xchickox

In Full Mount

xchickox Avatar

Career:594-360
Chips:
i dont get the decision to have lightweight and light-heavyweights in it

they should have heavyweights with these two fighters coaching as they need depth at heavyweight like with the middleweights in 7

Post #44   5/13/08 10:31:58AM   

Raykill

TAKING A BREAK

Raykill Avatar

Career:289-247
Chips:

Posted by holt8081

will they be able to understand Big Nog.

Post #45   5/13/08 1:54:24PM   

Page 3 of 4     1     2     3     4