Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Tito Ortiz Makes a Fair Proposal: UFC Should Pay Fighters 30% of Revenues

Print  
  Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,690-1,487
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
As he prepares for what is being advertised as his last fight in the organization at UFC 84, Tito Ortiz is, as he so often has, talking about his belief that UFC fighters should make more money.

Ortiz told MMA Mania that he thinks fighters should make about 30% of revenues, and Michael Rome of Bloody Elbow crunches some numbers and says that would be a significant pay raise from where they are now.

But while it would be significantly more than they make now, it would be nowhere near as much as athletes in other sports make. Liz Mullen of Sports Business Journal reports that baseball players make 51% to 55% of MLB revenues, football players make 59% of NFL revenues, basketball players make 57% of NBA revenues and hockey players make 55.6% of NHL revenues.

That's not an apples-to-apples comparison, though, because UFC pays a lot more of its own costs for things like TV broadcasts than other sports leagues do. No one would suggest that UFC should pay more than half of its revenue to its fighters.

Link

Post #1   5/12/08 3:04:41PM   

CantAndleDaRiddum

I Got My Black Belt in MMA

CantAndleDaRiddum Avatar

Career:299-192
Chips:
sounds good to me

Post #2   5/12/08 3:10:09PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,690-1,487
Chips:
...patiently awaiting a reply from thatfedorsohotrightnow

Last edited 5/12/08 3:12PM server time by grappler0000
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #3   5/12/08 3:11:33PM   

thatfedorsohotrightnow

banned

Career:142-108
Chips:
Check my previous posts to see that I have been shouting this out for awhile. I would be thrilled with 30%, the fact is the more money these guys get paid, the better fights we all see.

WAR paying a % of gross revenue.

Post #4   5/12/08 3:13:08PM   

thatfedorsohotrightnow

banned

Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

...patiently awaiting a reply from thatfedorsohotrightnow

Didn't have to wait long. LOL

Post #5   5/12/08 3:14:27PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,337-741
Chips:

That's not an apples-to-apples comparison, though, because UFC pays a lot more of its own costs for things like TV broadcasts than other sports leagues do. No one would suggest that UFC should pay more than half of its revenue to its fighters.

That says it all right there. Over time fighters will make more with the UFC as time goes by but to compare the UFC to the other sports is flat out unfair and the 2 don't relate at all when it comes to money. Fact is the UFC as a hole pays better than other MMA company's. The only company I have seen that pays more than the UFC is one that hasn't even had one show yet and I don't expect it to last long. Why isn't the story saying MMA orgs should pay 30% of it revenues, Its because its a biased story and very one sided. In fact till the UFC release how much profit it is making we wont know how much they are paying % wise.

Why is it the only guys complaining about the UFCs pay is the guys already making really good money. I do think the UFC could pay more and will over time but for anyone to think Tito cares about the other fighters pay is blind. Tito only cares about his pay and if he had his way he would be making 29% of the revenues while the other fighters got 1%.

Post #6   5/12/08 3:49:25PM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:

Posted by telnights

Why is it the only guys complaining about the UFCs pay is the guys already making really good money. I do think the UFC could pay more and will over time but for anyone to think Tito cares about the other fighters pay is blind. Tito only cares about his pay and if he had his way he would be making 29% of the revenues while the other fighters got 1%.

Don't waste your breath. Five years down the road these same people will be whining how fighters make too much money.

I'd rather see people fight for pride than for profit. Nobody is forced into the fight game, and if you can't pay the medical bills maybe you should consider another career like selling shoes which i did for three years and it sucked.

Last edited 5/12/08 3:59PM server time by silverbullet
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   5/12/08 3:58:33PM   

slappywhite

MMA Regular

slappywhite Avatar

Career:806-546
Camp: Bobbaganoosh
Chips:

Posted by thatfedorsohotrightnow

the fact is the more money these guys get paid, the better fights we all see.

how is that a fact?

if anything its far from it since there's no basis for that

Post #8   5/12/08 4:21:08PM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,456-1,139
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:

I would be thrilled with 30%,

Who really cares what would make you happy.

You know what would make me happy, if I get to keep watching quality fights and be able to tell you who the champ is. If it went the way you want it it will turn into boxing where there are ten different chanmpions for each weight class that nobody can keep track and one good fight per card. Is this what you really want.

I have said it before, I think you must be Randy's Bolywood agent.

Post #9   5/12/08 4:23:55PM   

thatfedorsohotrightnow

banned

Chips:

Posted by slappywhite

the fact is the more money these guys get paid, the better fights we all see.

how is that a fact?

if anything its far from it since there's no basis for that

More money in the sport means better athletes will get involved. Brock Lesnar and Kurt Angle would have gone right to MMA instead of WWE if the cash was right. Better athletes= better fights.

Post #10   5/12/08 4:54:06PM   

thatfedorsohotrightnow

banned

Chips:
"In fact till the UFC release how much profit it is making we wont know how much they are paying % wise."

We will never know the "profit" becasue UFC will never tell us that. That is why the talk is of dividing gross revenue and not net. Do you need me to explain the difference?

Post #11   5/12/08 4:57:46PM   

xburbx

MMA Regular

xburbx Avatar

Career:645-394
Camp: rafrojas
Chips:
The statement of "the more fighters get paid, the better the fights" is all relative to the UFC's margins. In theory, if a company pays its employees more, it will have better talent. The downside of that is that the UFC will probably have to take money away from expansion and growth. It is a balancing act. I dont understand why this argument is still around. Didnt anyone read that boxing article? The UFC pays more to an average fighter than boxing. Only the top fight of the night makes the huge pay that everyone gets excited about. We also cant make any comments until we know how much the UFC makes. For all we know, they might already be paying 30%. It might also be easier to stomach 30% if the UFC was making as much as say the MLB at $6billion/year. There is a lot more room there.

Post #12   5/12/08 4:57:52PM   

thatfedorsohotrightnow

banned

Chips:

Posted by Darnok

I would be thrilled with 30%,

Who really cares what would make you happy.

You know what would make me happy, if I get to keep watching quality fights and be able to tell you who the champ is. If it went the way you want it it will turn into boxing where there are ten different chanmpions for each weight class that nobody can keep track and one good fight per card. Is this what you really want.

I have said it before, I think you must be Randy's Bolywood agent.

I can't stand Randy. I think he is running from Nog and looking for one last big pay day. That doesn't mean he isn't right about fighter pay. People do the right thing for the wrong reason all the time.

Post #13   5/12/08 5:00:05PM   

thatfedorsohotrightnow

banned

Chips:
Amazing how many of you don't know the difference between gross and net.

Post #14   5/12/08 5:04:51PM   

stock

Banned

Career:409-235
Chips:

Posted by silverbullet

Posted by telnights

Don't waste your breath. Five years down the road these same people will be whining how fighters make too much money.

I'd rather see people fight for pride than for profit. Nobody is forced into the fight game, and if you can't pay the medical bills maybe you should consider another career like selling shoes which i did for three years and it sucked.

Exactly.
The UFC pays more money to fighters than any other organization out there.
You are also secure when you sign with the UFC.

Why isn't the focus on all these other shoddy organizations that are popping up and then going bankrupt, or not being able to pay their fighters, or losing their venues, or unable to put fights together, etc....?

When the UFC employees have leverage to bargain with, they WILL get paid more money. Let the market run its course, and everything will be just fine.

Post #15   5/12/08 5:07:50PM   

Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4