Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Jason Day’s Whirlwind UFC Ride Continues

Print  
Posted By Message

CantAndleDaRiddum

I Got My Black Belt in MMA

CantAndleDaRiddum Avatar

Career:299-192
Chips:
A Canadian veteran who had finally started to find his groove in the fight game after a rocky start that saw him lose three of his first five pro bouts, Jason Day was on the fringes of the UFC in 2007, with all but one of the four opponents he faced that year current or former UFC fighters.

He won two of those fights, submitting Jonathan Goulet and stopping Ron Faircloth, with the only loss coming in June of last year to Patrick Cote. It got the buzz going about the Lethbridge, Alberta native, and when he kicked off 2008 with a hard-fought decision win over former world title challenger David Loiseau, it was clear that the next stop for Day would be the UFC.

First test? A bout against up and comer Alan Belcher in front of close to 22,000 Canadian fans on April 19th. If there was going to be a case of the first-time UFC jitters, this was it. Surprisingly though, Day wasn’t affected by the atmosphere surrounding the biggest fight of his career.
http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=11868

Post #1   5/10/08 12:45:37PM   

IriShame

In Full Mount

IriShame Avatar

Career:558-331
Chips:
Props to the guy for stepping up but I was really looking forward to Bisping vs. Leben. I think that would've been a great contrast of striking styles. That being said, I wonder if this guy has what it takes to beat Bisping. I feel like it's a bummer for Bisping though. If he loses it's "See, he was overrated" and if he wins it's "Well he beat another nobody". I really wanted to see him fight a legitmate UFC fighter capable of beating big time competition. Not another up and coming prospect.

Post #2   5/10/08 1:37:24PM   

CantAndleDaRiddum

I Got My Black Belt in MMA

CantAndleDaRiddum Avatar

Career:299-192
Chips:

Posted by IriShame

Props to the guy for stepping up but I was really looking forward to Bisping vs. Leben. I think that would've been a great contrast of striking styles. That being said, I wonder if this guy has what it takes to beat Bisping. I feel like it's a bummer for Bisping though. If he loses it's "See, he was overrated" and if he wins it's "Well he beat another nobody". I really wanted to see him fight a legitmate UFC fighter capable of beating big time competition. Not another up and coming prospect.

damn ive been agreeing w/ u a lot today.
couldnt have said any of that better myself

Post #3   5/10/08 1:52:00PM   

teddythetuna

In Full Mount

teddythetuna Avatar

Career:1,164-752
Chips:
I dont think he is facing a nobody. Day did beat The Crow and Belcher. i think those two names are equally as impressive as anyone Bisping has beat. Day is gonna take it in the 2nd rnd. This will be a great fight

Post #4   5/10/08 1:59:57PM   

Bemin

Touch gloves, and good fight!

Bemin Avatar

Career:140-118
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
Jason Day looked incredible in his fight with Belcher, this should be a great fight and it wouldn't suprise me if Jason's hand is raised at the end of the fight.

Video of Day Vs Belcher

Post #5   5/10/08 2:28:21PM   

KingKash

MMA Regular

KingKash Avatar

Career:507-390
Camp: hot kASH
Chips:
It is great too see a guy that I saw fight in the small shows in Lethbridge make it to the UFC. I have seen 8 of his fughts now and I think that he is going to Bisbing a hell of a run. It is going to be a great fight, but I am going to have to give the advantage to Bisbing in this one. Hw looked great in his last fight. I know that his opponent was not the hardest one he has faught, but he still put on a very good showing at the lower weight class.

Post #6   5/10/08 2:32:42PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Come on "dooms" day! im taking him for the upset.

Post #7   5/10/08 3:21:25PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
IMHO Day > Leben

this is a step up in competition, not a nobody...at least imo. Day presents a lot of problems for bisping, as he has a better ground game and his stand up is really underrated and i see it being on par with Bisping's. i see Day giving Bisping a lot of fits in this fight, and i think in the end Day will win. If Loiseau couldn't finish him, Bisping most certainly won't. i see Day coming out like he did against Belcher and securing the victory.

Last edited 5/10/08 3:33PM server time by jiujitsufreak74
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   5/10/08 3:31:27PM   

teddythetuna

In Full Mount

teddythetuna Avatar

Career:1,164-752
Chips:
Your only as good as your last fight. and day defeated a much tougher opponent than chainsaw. Day > Bisping

Post #9   5/10/08 5:28:00PM