Today's Topics Unanswered Topics Avatar Bets Search PM's My Props Member Directory Premium Members Recent Polls Subscriptions Rules

Sponsors

Wanderlei Silva both a fighter and a fan

Wanderlei Silva both a fighter and a fan
Posted By Message

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career record: 1278-755
Season: 20-12 (#1209)
Bankroll: $1,070 (#1371)
3345 posts
Joined 12/07
LAS VEGAS – For many years, Wanderlei Silva was regarded the same way at Zuffa headquarters that Derek Jeter is at Fenway Park.

UFC president Dana White, who for years had been eager to see Chuck Liddell knock Silva unconscious, makes no bones about his feelings toward the man who was the face of the rival PRIDE Fighting Championship.

"He was my enemy," White says unhesitatingly.

No longer is that true, however. Because on any given day, White will saunter downstairs from his office into the tiny gym located in the bowels of UFC headquarters to find Silva preparing for his fight with Keith Jardine at UFC 84 on May 24.

They greet each other with an embrace and a smile and while away the time discussing their mutual passion for mixed martial arts.

Silva is such a fan of the sport, he said he's pleading with White to make a match between middleweight champion Anderson Silva and welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre, who currently are ranked Nos. 1 and 2, respectively, on the Yahoo! Sports poll of the world's best fighters.

"If Dana can make that fight, I'll be in the line to buy a ticket," Silva said, beaming. "What a great fight. I am a fighter, yes. It is my job, and it is a job I love. But before I'm a fighter, I am a fan. I love this sport."

And that's why White has fallen for Silva the way a high school football star might for a sultry cheerleader.

White is making money, and lots of it, in the UFC, but it's a double bonus to him because he's indulging his passion.

"The reason I got into this (expletive) in the first place is because I love it so (expletive) much," White said. "Part of the way I run the company is from a fan's perspective. If I want to see a fight as a fan, then I know it's a fight that we should make and that's what I do.

"Well, Wanderlei is the same way. You see the passion he has for this sport. He told me once that he'd rather lose a fight and have the fans going crazy instead of winning a fight where the people are booing. That's the kind of guy I want in my company fighting on my shows."

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   5/10/08 9:54:54AM   

mrsmiley
Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career record: 1356-790
Season: 46-19 (#162)
Bankroll: $2,955 (#290)
4277 posts
Joined 4/07
LOL.

awe,Dana's got a new friend!

Post #2   5/10/08 2:37:35PM   

jgtribbett
MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar
Career record: 553-358
Season: 0-0 (#-)
Bankroll: $1,000
1118 posts
Joined 3/07

Posted by mrsmiley

LOL.

awe,Dana's got a new friend!

hahha yeah i guess so.
i like wandy and i'm glad he's in UFC

Post #3   5/10/08 8:08:38PM   

MMAcca
Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career record: 1608-945
Season: 36-29 (#840)
Bankroll: $400 (#1627)
8088 posts
Joined 4/07
Wandy trains at UFC headquarters ?

Post #4   5/11/08 12:29:49AM   

DLPark91TH
Learning to Sprawl

DLPark91TH Avatar
Career record: 718-415
29 posts
Joined 10/07
The funniest part of this (expletive) article is the "expletives" they use to block out Dana's swearing haha. But ya, I (expletive) love Wandy he's the (expletive) man.

Post #5   5/11/08 8:23:17PM   

ThaAxeMurderer7
MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career record: 1277-814
1700 posts
Joined 1/08

Posted by MMAcca

Wandy trains at UFC headquarters ?

I believe he splits time between the UFC headquarters and xtreme couture.

Post #6   5/11/08 8:35:15PM   

Username:

Password:

Keep me logged in