Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Matt Hughes wants to prove his time hasn’t passed

Print  
Posted By Message

CantAndleDaRiddum

I Got My Black Belt in MMA

CantAndleDaRiddum Avatar

Career:299-192
Chips:
One of the classic symptoms of an aged, or aging, fighter is seeing openings and being unable to take advantage of them.

It's no different than a running back who once could burst through a hole for a 15-yard gain when he ran a 4.4 40, but who now runs a 4.65 and can't hit it quick enough to get more than three yards before the pile collapses upon him.

And what Matt Hughes was describing as a problem in his loss to Georges St. Pierre in December sounded suspiciously like a man losing the battle with time. But the two-time former UFC welterweight champion, who saved the UFC yet again when he agreed on short notice to fight Thiago Alves in the main event of UFC 85 in London on June 7, insists he's far from through.http://mmajunkie.com/news/4308/matt-hughes-wants-to-prove-his-time-hasnt-passed.mma

Post #1   5/8/08 9:03:03PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
I believe Hughes, their aren't many people in his devision that i think will last against him. Its basically a Silva Franklin situation in a different devision. Hughes is still a force to be reckoned with at WW and unfortunately for him GSP has got his number.
I don't see him ever holding the title again but I don't see very many people beating him either.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #2   5/8/08 9:45:45PM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Career:1,450-848
Chips:

Posted by SmileR

I believe Hughes, their aren't many people in his devision that i think will last against him. Its basically a Silva Franklin situation in a different devision. Hughes is still a force to be reckoned with at WW and unfortunately for him GSP has got his number.
I don't see him ever holding the title again but I don't see very many people beating him either.

Pretty much sums it up exactly as I see it as well.

Post #3   5/8/08 9:55:45PM   

coldchillin

In Full Mount

coldchillin Avatar

Career:533-287
Chips:
well Alves is a better match-up for him stylistically than say Koscheck would be... I think Hughes has lost a step and I see Alves knocking him out.

Post #4   5/8/08 10:09:20PM   

Red-Dragon

In Full Mount

Red-Dragon Avatar

Career:337-201
Camp: The Bravo Forum
Chips:

Posted by DevonFoxy

Posted by SmileR

Pretty much sums it up exactly as I see it as well.

SPOT ON!

Post #5   5/9/08 8:35:41AM   

casey64

BANNED

Career:481-292
Chips:

Posted by SmileR

Yeah I do agree with you.

Post #6   5/9/08 8:49:27AM   

browneye

BANNED

browneye Avatar

Career:189-122
Chips:
Matt hughes is still a beast he lost to GSP back to back but that is understandable because GSP is the best welterweight in the division Matt Serra lost to GSP but that does not mean he is washed up i dont see GSP losing his belt for a long time just like Anderson who knows what will happen in this division in a few months we will just have to wait and see

Post #7   5/9/08 9:00:47AM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,496-1,195
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:
Matt Hughes = Greatest gate keeper of all time.

Oops I meant to say Welterweight

Post #8   5/9/08 10:55:55AM