Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

International Fight League revealed plans on Thursday to debut a six-sided

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

disorderlyvision

Respect the Battle Axe

disorderlyvision Avatar

Career:1,622-1,122
Chips:
link

The new ring has been branded as “The Hex” and will debut on August 15 for a show at the Izod Center in East Rutherford, N.J.

The prototype of the new ring is still being constructed. Upon completion, it will be stored in Las Vegas.

While not addressing the issue directly, it’s likely that the IFL’s decision to use a six-sided ring is based on claims by critics that their product looks too much like boxing on television. Publicly, the IFL is indicating that its audience enjoys the ring and that they are going with a six-sided version in order to create a larger fighting environment.

“From a production and live event standpoint, the ring has proven to be the most fan and media friendly environment, as well as providing the safest possible environment for our athletes,” IFL CEO Jay Larkin is quoted as saying in a press release. “The Hex allows for the larger surface that is utilized in other MMA organizations while still retaining the advantages we have enjoyed with the ring.”

No matches for the Aug. 15 card have been announced. The promotion may start revealing matchups to the public in June.

------------
pic looks interesting

Post #1   5/8/08 3:29:37PM   

bustin_mma

Standup Guy

bustin_mma Avatar

Career:1,489-869
Camp: Kame House
Chips:
i like it, it will definitly give the fighters more room, and still be very visable for the fans.

Post #2   5/8/08 3:32:29PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,431-836
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
It looks similar to the TNA wrestling ring.

Post #3   5/8/08 3:45:18PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
They need a bottom criscross catcher or something to keep the fighters from sliding out. Then I think the model would work well for all styles as opposed to Cage advantage- wrestling Ring advantage- striking and BJJ.

Post #4   5/8/08 3:57:02PM   

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Career:815-456
Chips:
rings of any amounts of sides are retarded, this is not boxing and when you go to take someone down they can grab the rope, all fighters grab the ropes and it makes no sense that MMA would be fought in a ring. People also tangle themselves in them in order to get out of trouble, Horodeski against Bart was ridiculous, "he just hurt me and may finish the fight, I know, fall through the ropes and get my mind back"

GET OVER THE RING IT DOES NOT WORK!!!!!!

Post #5   5/8/08 4:24:41PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

What I was thinking. I'm also thinking lawsuit.

Post #6   5/8/08 4:35:44PM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,440-1,122
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:

Posted by McBee

I have to agree. Although it appears that many people prefer the ring.

I think that anybody that prefers the ring is selfish in that they care more about what they can see than for the quality of the fights, or they just prefer a standup fight which means they should go watch boxing.

Post #7   5/8/08 4:50:20PM   

twoguns365

Learning to Sprawl

twoguns365 Avatar

Career:1,656-1,131
Chips:

Posted by Darnok

Posted by McBee

I have to agree. Although it appears that many people prefer the ring.

I think that anybody that prefers the ring is selfish in that they care more about what they can see than for the quality of the fights, or they just prefer a standup fight which means they should go watch boxing.

Didn't the ring work in Pride?

I prefer the cage myself, but I kinda like this idea. But they have more problems than what they fight in. They need to do something about who's fighting.

Post #8   5/8/08 5:18:17PM   

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Career:815-456
Chips:

I prefer the cage myself, but I kinda like this idea. But they have more problems than what they fight in. They need to do something about who's fighting.

no guys are always grabbing the ropes, Trigg on FSN even talked about how it is instinct and people do not even know they are doing it, that is why it

IT SHOULD NOT BE IN A RING

Post #9   5/8/08 5:21:30PM   

twoguns365

Learning to Sprawl

twoguns365 Avatar

Career:1,656-1,131
Chips:

Posted by McBee

no guys are always grabbing the ropes, Trigg on FSN even talked about how it is instinct and people do not even know they are doing it, that is why it

Ok, but aren't fighters always grabbing the cage? That's just as much on instinct as grabbing the ropes. Sylvia-Silva is a big example of how grabbing the cage can change the fight.

Post #10   5/8/08 5:30:17PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,151-1,470
Chips:
I still say they need a cage...and even that won't save them.
Rings are to poop on.
The IFL could be "number 2" if they only had a clue.

Post #11   5/8/08 6:34:26PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,431-836
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by DCRage

Posted by mrsmiley

What I was thinking. I'm also thinking lawsuit.

You can bet on that one.

Post #12   5/8/08 7:11:15PM   

holt8081

MMA Sensei

holt8081 Avatar

Career:604-346
Chips:
Whats next the TRAPEZOID.

Post #13   5/12/08 10:34:26PM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:
guys in the WEC and UFC grab the cage all the time.. unless you make a smooth plexiglass type encosure your always going to have someone grabbing the ring ropes or cages.. there ae promotions in other countries that do not even use cages or rings it is just open floor.. I think that is kind of exciting... there are lots of ways of doing it... how about put them in a big steel ball that rolls as they move around and fight in it... or as someone else mentioned a Triangle.. imagine trying to get out of that corner also as stated I think is that it really does not matter what people are fighting in its who is doing the fighting...

Post #14   5/19/08 6:05:46PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by McBee

You can't grab a cage? Ask Tito if you can or not.

Post #15   5/19/08 6:54:38PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2