Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Tracking TUF 2 Alumni (heavyweights)

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

xposipx

go vegan

xposipx Avatar

Career:2,760-1,535
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
Continuation of my other post:

Rashad Evans: 5-0 prior, 6-0-1 after (all UFC).
Arguably the most successful alumni from season 2 Rashad was an early favorite to win the show. This class was noticeably weak as two heavyweights dropped out during the first episode. Rashad was one of the few up and comers in the division and was fighting men much bigger than him as he was a natural Light Heavyweight. Evans, a strong wrestler, decisioned his way through three opponents and earned the winning split decision in the finale against Brad Imes. Rashad has piled up many unimpressive decision victories over Bisping, Bonnar, and Hoger, but his KO over Salmon is burnt in the minds of MMA fans everywhere. Evans' next fight should make him a top contender at LHW or another TUF pretender.

Keith Jardine: 8-1-1 prior, 5-2 after (all UFC).
Jardine stayed under the radar during the entire season and did not get much face time at all. Evans took him to a decision late in the season, but Keith bounced back with a memorable TKO over Kerry Schall via leg kicks. Those same leg kicks led him to a victory over Chuck Liddell and three others in the UFC. He has had some disappointing losses, but his most recent win immediately elevated him to top 10 rankings everywhere. A win versus W. Silva will put him in line for a title shot.

Mike Whitehead 9-4 prior, 11-1 after (0-1 UFC).
Matt Hughes made Whitehead sound like the next Couture when he spoke about him on the show. However, in his fight against Rashad Evans the bright lights got to him and he froze in the octagon. It was a poor performance in which he spent most of the time on his back doing nothing. His first fight after the show was a loss to Keigh Jardine and he was then cut from his contract. The UFC gave up a bit too early on this 27 year old, though. While the UFC desperately seeks Heavyweight fighters, Whitehead has continued to improve his game. He now trains at Xtreme Couture and is riding an impressive 11 fight win streak (4-0 IFL). It looks like Mike may be focusing more on training as he has 0 fights in 2008.

Brad Imes: 3-0 prior, 8-4 after (0-3 UFC).
When Brad Imes goes 3-0 on the show, you know it was a weak season. During the show he proved to be able to give lower-level competition fits with his size. Rob MacDonald went down easily, but Petruzelli gave Imes all he could handle. Brad went on to lose in the finale and put on a decent enough fight to excuse the loss. However, Imes went on to put on awful performances against Herring and Christison. He is now most notable for his two back-to-back gogoplata victories over poor competition. Imes is now 6-1 in his last 7 fights and is looking to improve his record and is hoping to make it back to a bigger promotion.

Dan Christison 7-3 prior, 4-3 after (1-1 UFC).
There were high hopes for Dan as he was one of the more well-known fighters this season. For some reason his skills did not translate well and he lost his first fight to Seth Petruzelli. Dan did go on an impressive 6-fight win streak after the show with wins over Brad Imes and Ben Rothewell, but he dropped his next fight in an awful performance vs Frank Mir. After that he had an unsuccessful stint in the IFL but is now on a 3 fight win streak against unknown competition in smaller shows.

Seth Petruzelli 7-2 prior, 2-2 after (0-2 UFC).
I always liked Seth's karate-style striking. He defeated Dan Christison early in the season and barely lost to Brad Imes later. The UFC was unkind to Seth by giving him Hamill and Gouveia as his only two fights before cutting him. His two wins have been impressive KOs over unknown opponents. He too has not fought in 2008 and may be focusing on training more than his own fighting career.

Rob MacDonald 3-0 prior, 2-3 after (1-2 UFC).
You could watch the entire season of TUF and never hear anyone mention his name. It seemed like he had no interviews or face time either. This is probably due to the fact that Imes submitted him in the first round of the second episode. For some reason the UFC still granted him a contract and used him for all three fights. His win came over Rotharmel who hasn't fought since. He was submitted early by Eric Schafer and Jason Lambert who both exposed his non-existent submission game. He does have a fight in 2008 and seems to be floating around for any company who needs an ex-TUF name to sell some tickets.

Tom Murphy 1-0 prior, 1-0 after (1-0 UFC).
This is one of the strange cases of this TUF season. He is another guy you wouldn't know existed if you watched the season in its entirety. Rashad Evans' wrestling proved to be too much for him in their fight, but he was given a contract anyways with his 1-0 record. His first and only fight was an impressive win over Icho Larenas in early 2006. Ever since then Tom has been off the map completely and has not competed. The UFC has offered him multiple fights, but he has turned them down to improve his overall MMA game. He is a highly talented Gracie-trained fighter and is a total fan of the sport. Maybe one of these days he will make a comeback. He is a nice, talented guy with raw potential. At 34 it just seems unlikely.

Kerry Schall 18-7 prior, 3-2 after (0-1 UFC).
Schall was easily the most experienced guy coming in, but he had been fighting since 1998 and was already 34 years old while the show was taping. He was injured during the first episode and was defeated on the finale by Jardine. He has not competed in over a year and it seems as if his best years were already behind him. He never got the big win he needed, but not many can even say they stepped in the ring against Fedor Emelianenko.

Eli Joslin 1-0 prior, 1-0 after (0-0 UFC).
Guys like this makes me wonder where they find some of these fighters. There's so much talent out there and this is the best they can come up with? He left the show during the first episode being unable to handle the cameras. His last fight was in 2006 and seems to have called it quits.

Post #1   5/5/08 7:38:32PM   

F--K_Luck_AuH2O

Banned

Career:340-195
Chips:
Good analysis, only I think that this division was one of the most talented. Not weak. I thik the weakest guy was Rob. I think everyones performance outside the show was also very good.

I just think its like amateur wrestling....In Middle School, High School, Open tournmanets, and most College meets/tournament consolations the matches are intense, and very very exciting. But once you get to the quarter finals, semi finals, and finals...the matches are boring and slow. This is because when you get two wrestlers that are both very good, they cancel eachother out and nobody can score easily, nobody can tear through the other, and most importantly, nobody wants to lose because the stakes are too high.

You take the same two wrestling studs that put on a boring NCAA finals match and pair them together in a freestyle tournament somewhere that doesn't mean anything and you'll have a very exciting match because neither really cares if they win or lose.

In TUF 2, you had too much talent at too high a stake. All the competitors were equally talented, which meant neither one could just tear through and destroy the other. However, their was simply too much riding on winning, and therefore everybdoy borringly played it safe. However, in the finals, and every UFC match thereafter they knew that if they put on a boring performance it did not matter if they won or lost...they would be cut. So they took chances.

When somebody is on the show, they just want to win, and advance. They know they all get a chnace in the finale, so thats when its important to take chances and be exciting...while on teh show, just get the W. (however, every season since has had huge mismatches in talent, so one guy is just tearing through the other, and the other guy is taking every chance he gets to try and win)

Post #2   5/5/08 8:19:48PM   

xposipx

go vegan

xposipx Avatar

Chips:
Why not reply with what you really think?

"Hey man, I really appreciate what you are doing. These articles are great and I enjoy reading them. I know they take alot of time and effort, but I'm going to aks you to please stop.

www.fightmatrix.com is a new site, which is booming quickly. They rely on their artciles comapred with their rankings as a means to promote. Through MMAPlayground they gain some of their highest traffic.

By creating these articles you signifigantly decrease the effect of the articles from fightmatrix.

Once again no disrespect. You do a great job. Perhaps you should contact Oleg, or go onto fightmatrix.com's message board and ask if you can be a corespondant. Then you can get these types of articles posted on their web-page. You'll get alot more traffic to them (heck I post them as News articles), and you'll be helping fightmatrix.

Its a win win situation.

BTW-props for Hogan."

Thanks for trying to tell me I cannot post my own analysis and thoughts. I'll pretend that didn't happen. I don't care about that site or the people who run it. If I can manage to do a comparable job then they should get better writers.

Last edited 5/5/08 8:44PM server time by xposipx
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   5/5/08 8:44:28PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
Brad Imes needs to come back to the weak Heavyweight division. He has improved a lot. Jardine if he out points Wandy and wins a decision then NO DOUBT UNDISPUTED, he has the next title shot. Any other person getting a title shot before him would be YET ANOTHER kick in the balls since he was suppose to have the title shot at 71 but Dana does anything Chuck asks and that broke his mentality and made him lose to Houston.

Rashad is nothing special. He's too damn stubborn to be anything great. He absolutely refuses to improve his stand up. His biggest win was a lucky high kick nobody saw coming. hat's not exactly great stand up. And anytime he gets a chance to prove he has great stand he refuses to use it. Even Tito was even with him on the feet. And he wouldn't even box with Bisping who has no KO power at all in his hands. And he refuses to GNP which is why he will never get a title shot. He rather just slam into your guard and hold your legs. If he threw actually threw elbows or punches I'd say he'd have a great shot against the top LHW's but he won't so the first test he has he'll lose. He needs to drop down to Middleweight. He's the perfect style match up for Anderson. He has good takedowns and does not GNP, he'll control Silva's legs and we can see Rashad-Bisping all over again. I am very disappointed since I was a Rashad fan when he first came out since I loved the slams, but he hasn't changed a bit. He has decent boxing but that's it.

These articles are sweet dude, nice job!

Post #4   5/5/08 9:02:46PM   

Ben_Hutch

Banned

Career:282-168
Chips:
Interesting to see that the 2 guys who have made it the furthest in the UFC from TUF 2 H/W's have both dropped down a weight class, kind of ironic with the HW divison being so weak.

Post #5   5/5/08 9:05:50PM   

disorderlyvision

Respect the Battle Axe

disorderlyvision Avatar

Career:1,622-1,122
Chips:

Posted by xposipx

"Hey man, I really appreciate what you are doing. These articles are great and I enjoy reading them. I know they take alot of time and effort, but I'm going to aks you to please stop.

www.fightmatrix.com is a new site, which is booming quickly. They rely on their artciles comapred with their rankings as a means to promote. Through MMAPlayground they gain some of their highest traffic.

By creating these articles you signifigantly decrease the effect of the articles from fightmatrix.

Once again no disrespect. You do a great job. Perhaps you should contact Oleg, or go onto fightmatrix.com's message board and ask if you can be a corespondant. Then you can get these types of articles posted on their web-page. You'll get alot more traffic to them (heck I post them as News articles), and you'll be helping fightmatrix.

Its a win win situation.

BTW-props for Hogan."

Thanks for trying to tell me I cannot post my own analysis and thoughts. I'll pretend that didn't happen. I don't care about that site or the people who run it. If I can manage to do a comparable job then they should get better writers.

did i miss something or was that post just deleted??? but if somone did say that then i agree with you you shouldn't be censored because some other site wants traffic

Post #6   5/5/08 9:07:11PM   

bls1919

Banned From Forums

bls1919 Avatar

Career:308-183
Chips:
i wouldnt mind seeing both Imes and Whitehead back in the UFC. They need more HW in a bad way. Although i do like their pick up of Shane Carwin.

Post #7   5/5/08 9:24:23PM   

xposipx

go vegan

xposipx Avatar

Chips:

Posted by disorderlyvision

Posted by xposipx

Its a win win situation.

BTW-props for Hogan."

did i miss something or was that post just deleted??? but if somone did say that then i agree with you you shouldn't be censored because some other site wants traffic

It was a PM, not a message. Sorry for not clarifying.

Post #8   5/5/08 11:27:51PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
If this is indeed your own research and writing, then more power to you. I always appreciate some good research.

As an aside.
BTW, I myself have seen some of the work that I have done passed off on other sites. On one hand I am flattered, but on the other it bothers me if I am not credited.

Going back to the original post. A lot of the fighters on TUF really do not belong in the UFC and I find that a bunch of them currently in the UFC are favoured over other fighters with more skills and better records, but I digress.

I think a lot of the TUF fighters that stay in the UFC are there because other their marketability. You ever notice that most of the long lasting TUF alumni get the majority of TUF camera time? This is what really bothers me about TUF. The UFC claims it's about finding the best fighters, but it seems to more about the marketability of the fighters.

OK, I've been writing all day and am going nuts. Sorry if this sounds like an irrelevant rant.

Post #9   5/6/08 12:13:23AM   

chubbud22

In Full Mount

chubbud22 Avatar

Career:642-418
Chips:
I talk to Mike Whitehead two or three times a month. Last I heard he is still fighting Babalu in an Affliction card. I think he can do far better than he showed in the UFC(but it might be some home town bias)

Post #10   5/6/08 12:32:29AM   

F--K_Luck_AuH2O

Banned

Career:340-195
Chips:

Posted by xposipx

Its a win win situation.

BTW-props for Hogan."

OK, I thought you were mature. I sent you a PM for a reason, it was suppose to remain private. I was also very nice about it. There was no reason for you to be pissed, and you could have responded much nicer. I would have accepted your opinion, and apologized to you for the inconvenience. But whatever, you just proved that you are a true keyboard warrior.

Well, since you decided to take the high road and post my message in the public for all to read, I guess I'll go ahead and higher myself to your level, and respond

The only reason I suggested it was because you claerly ripped off his idea, which was posted as a link to his site, not as a message board post.

I mean Oleg posted the link, then within the hour you come up with these two posts. You even copied the the title of the post, and the format. Then you don't give him or his site credit, but instead you bash both Oleg and fightmatrix. How dare you just rip off somebodies idea and then have the obdacity to bash that man, and his site in the very post you rip off. (Hell, if the works of his site are copywrited he could sue you)

I am not associated with fightmatrix. If you were pissed at me then fine. You can tell me that you thought that my message was uncalled for, and that I'm an a-holeor what not...but at least have the dignity to have some honor and integrity and do it in private.

There was no need for you to do this in public like that. I don't even think I deserved that, I thought I was nice and respectful with my suggestions, but i don't know...maybe I wasn't. I guess its open to interpertation, but still be a man and reply in private.

I responded to your post insightfully. i obviously did not mean to discredit it in anyway. But whatever.

Edit: I already feel dirty, and undignified for even responding to this post. Its not like me, but I have to respond, and if he's just going to post my PM's in public then I have to do it here. I apologize to anybody who had to read this.

Last edited 5/6/08 1:21AM server time by F--K_Luck_AuH2O
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #11   5/6/08 1:08:10AM   

garrick

MMA Regular

garrick Avatar

Career:222-122
Camp: Pitbulls
Chips:
I hope Tom Murphy makes his way back in the octagon. I've been to his gym and he's helped my wrestling team and he really knows the fighting game. I would really like to see him come back.

Post #12   5/6/08 9:55:38AM   

MFOTHER

In Full Mount

MFOTHER Avatar

Career:1,027-563
Chips:
good job. my only question is, who considered rashad an early favorite. I dont remember any coaches saying this...and dana made it a point to say he wasnt a favorite.
i know these are subjective. do you mean you picked him as an early fav?

Post #13   5/6/08 10:55:55AM   

xposipx

go vegan

xposipx Avatar

Chips:

Posted by MFOTHER

good job. my only question is, who considered rashad an early favorite. I dont remember any coaches saying this...and dana made it a point to say he wasnt a favorite.
i know these are subjective. do you mean you picked him as an early fav?

Yeah just based on his wrestling ability. Nobody else really stood out as much as he did IMO.

Post #14   5/6/08 11:49:42AM   

xposipx

go vegan

xposipx Avatar

Chips:

Posted by F--K_Luck_AuH2O

Posted by xposipx

Its a win win situation.

BTW-props for Hogan."

OK, I thought you were mature. I sent you a PM for a reason, it was suppose to remain private. I was also very nice about it. There was no reason for you to be pissed, and you could have responded much nicer. I would have accepted your opinion, and apologized to you for the inconvenience. But whatever, you just proved that you are a true keyboard warrior.

Well, since you decided to take the high road and post my message in the public for all to read, I guess I'll go ahead and higher myself to your level, and respond

The only reason I suggested it was because you claerly ripped off his idea, which was posted as a link to his site, not as a message board post.

I mean Oleg posted the link, then within the hour you come up with these two posts. You even copied the the title of the post, and the format. Then you don't give him or his site credit, but instead you bash both Oleg and fightmatrix. How dare you just rip off somebodies idea and then have the obdacity to bash that man, and his site in the very post you rip off. (Hell, if the works of his site are copywrited he could sue you)

I am not associated with fightmatrix. If you were pissed at me then fine. You can tell me that you thought that my message was uncalled for, and that I'm an a-holeor what not...but at least have the dignity to have some honor and integrity and do it in private.

There was no need for you to do this in public like that. I don't even think I deserved that, I thought I was nice and respectful with my suggestions, but i don't know...maybe I wasn't. I guess its open to interpertation, but still be a man and reply in private.

I responded to your post insightfully. i obviously did not mean to discredit it in anyway. But whatever.

Edit: I already feel dirty, and undignified for even responding to this post. Its not like me, but I have to respond, and if he's just going to post my PM's in public then I have to do it here. I apologize to anybody who had to read this.

Ripped off an idea? Can you even read?

"Doing this myself for reference in light of the TUF 1 article, enjoy if you'd like." DOING THIS FOR MYSELF. I made a reference to the other article/site. People will go there for the TUF 1 as a result. These are my own opinions and interpretations and will be different from everyone else's and are therefore not a "ripoff". Why don't you spend your time crying about something else. I only posted your PM in public because it was so idiotic and if you have any affiliation with that site I'd like others to know so they don;t waste their time going there. You should stop now before you embarrass yourself or that site any further.

Post #15   5/6/08 11:53:04AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2