Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFC tackles long-term growth issues

Print  
Posted By Message

Porch28

BANNED

Porch28 Avatar

Career:506-292
Chips:
he success of the Ultimate Fighting Championship over the past three years has always carried with it one major question: Is this a long-term sport or a short-term fad?

After all, when what was essentially an underground sport suddenly becomes popular based largely on a reality show on a cable station, it’s easy to question its longevity.

LINK]

Last edited 5/3/08 10:34PM server time by porch28
Edit note/reason: n/a
3 total post edits

Post #1   5/3/08 2:47:00PM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Career:553-358
Camp: Team BloodLoss
Chips:
FAD.... JK

Post #2   5/3/08 5:03:26PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by jgtribbett

FAD.... JK

Interestingly, I kind of agree with this.

Actually I don't think it will keep getting bigger and bigger. I think it is close to it's peek in popularity. Why? Because I think some people call themselves fans just because this is a popular thing and they want to be in the loop with their peers.

I think the UFC (and MMA) will turn out to be like survivor. Back when it was popular, people talked about it, now it's still on and has been around for a long time, but nobody talks about it. I'm sure the core fans are still watching it, but a lot of people stopped once the next big thing came out.

Last edited 5/3/08 5:33PM server time by Rush

Post #3   5/3/08 5:33:28PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,446-842
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I think MMA will go through the same cycles we see Pro-Wrestling and Pro-Boxing go through.Their will always be the hardcore fan base that will stick with the sport through thick and thin.Then their will be the "extras" that come watch when a big superstar hits the scene.Think of Boxing and Pro wrestling for a minute.

two of the biggest commerical boxers were

1.Muhammed Ali
2.Mike Tyson

Two of the biggest commercial Pro-wrestlers were

1.Hulk Hugan
2.Stone Cold Steve Austin

Even though their great boxers inbetween the times of Ali & Tyson (like wise with Hugan and Austin),their were something about these figures that caught the attention of the mainstream.Not only were they good at what they did (Hugans wrestling questionable,but nonetheless he was a great entertainer),but they reflected society at the time.They were true superstars.MMA has yet to gain a star that rivals the legendary status of someone like Ali.Sure guys like Fedor and Liddell are popular and good,but wait 10-15 years down the road.MMA has yet to see its first true superstar.The sports popularity will go down in the next few years,but will eventualy regain steam.

Post #4   5/3/08 7:37:56PM   

Styles

Standup Guy

Styles Avatar

Career:373-223
Chips:
I think MMA still has quite abit of room to grow. We are not really seeing many of these fighters in movies yet (and some fighter have been talking about acting) and we are not really seeing very much of a mainstream coverage of the sport yet (although there is some mainstream coverage). I think how the UFC is today, it will eventually settle to what it is today after it peaks. There are still alot of people that really dont know much about UFC including the youth. I did see a breif coverage on MTV not long ago which will likely bring more of the youth to this sport... maybe not as hardcore fans, but I was never a hardcore fan of boxing and every event I would throw a party jsut to get people over, drink some beer, watch someone get their ass kicked, and bet on the fights just for the hell of it. Their are also alot of bigger (more mainstream) sponsors looking towards UFC which will bring more of an attraction for the people who have not really given much thought towards MMA/UFC.

Post #5   5/3/08 8:29:46PM   

BestDVDWatcherEva

Learning to Sprawl

Career:251-137
Chips:
Link isn't working for me. You put the address as http://http///

How about this link: :)

Last edited 5/3/08 10:06PM server time by BestDVDWatcherEva
2 total post edits

Post #6   5/3/08 10:03:47PM   

Porch28

BANNED

Porch28 Avatar

Career:506-292
Chips:
thanks it should be good now

Post #7   5/3/08 10:34:53PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
The UFC is going to nail its own coffin shut if it isn't careful about overexposure.

And yes, the peek is soon or possibly now. I think it will be at least another 8 to 10 years before its reign is done though. The biggest factor I have towards whether it will cycle through is that the talen is so rich and only gets better as time goes on. It's like the middleweight division in the 80's on crack and meth at the sametime mixed into some Redbull.

I think the styles of fighting pretty much are decided (striking, Wrestling, BJJ, Judo) once a uniformed style comes about with kids training the mixup of styles for years before they are pros I think MMA will fade and the spectacle will die.

Even when it does though there is no denying that MMA is one of the most exciting and interesting sports out there.

Post #8   5/4/08 3:59:57AM