Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Kazuhiro Nakamura vs Rameau Sokoudjou

Print  
Posted By Message

bustin_mma

Standup Guy

bustin_mma Avatar

Career:1,489-869
Camp: Kame House
Chips:
Is Nakamura really that big of an underdog. Every single loss he has were to guys who were ranked top 10 and or still ranked top10. he has fought in Pride his whole carreer, which arguably had the best light heavy weight roster. And he has win over great fighters like Bustemante, Randleman, Vovchanchyn, Kondo, and Cyborg. Also he did much better IMO against Machida then Sokoudjou. i know im puttin some money on him for sure. anyone else?

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #1   5/3/08 2:33:32AM   

Whispering_Death

MMA Regular

Whispering_Death Avatar

Career:657-339
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
In some ways Sokodjou was PRIDE's version of Houston Alexander. Came out of nowhere and got 2 huge lighting-fast KOs that catapulted his career.

But I'm still picking him to win against Nakamura. Quite frankly, Nakamura has looked like crap in his last two fights. His wins mostly come from being a gamer who takes control and dictates his fights to win a decision. Outside of controling Sokodjou to a decision I really struggle to see any possible way for him to win this fight. Without the Gi and against someone as explosive as Sokodjou I do not see him being able to control the fight for 15 minutes. Furthermore, Sokodjou has power in his hands which gives him a clear way to win the fight inside the distance.

I think this fight is Sokodjou's to win as long as he comes into the fight with meaningful offence.

Post #2   5/3/08 11:08:55AM   

Mchubb316

MMA Sensei

Mchubb316 Avatar

Career:838-517
Camp: Strikers Inc.
Chips:
Soko will come out and push the pace on this one. He will outstrike him, and use his judo to stay away from dangerous spots. Soko by 2nd round KO.

Post #3   5/3/08 12:06:29PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
I want Soko to win but I'm going with Nakamura here based largely on SOko's struggles in his first UFC fight. Nakamura's also part of my parlay.

Post #4   5/3/08 12:06:58PM   

uGotKTFO

Learning to Sprawl

uGotKTFO Avatar

Career:634-365
Chips:

Posted by Whispering_Death
Without the Gi and against someone as explosive as Sokodjou I do not see him being able to control the fight for 15 minutes.

I haven't watched the fight in a while so I don't remember exactly how it went, but he beat Kevin Randleman by decision and he didn't wear his gi in the fight. Randleman is pretty damn explosive.

Not sure which way to go on this one. I'm definitely putting some money on Nakamura. +560 is waaaay too high odds on this fight.

Last edited 5/11/08 1:41AM server time by ugotktfo
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   5/11/08 1:40:50AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,339-1,246
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
love this fight, odds are way to high to bet, but i did parlay it,
nakamura isn't a underdog but he is not suppose to win this match, but he could. i don't think it is a loser leaves ufc situation, but 0-2 for nakamura is worst than 0-2 for rameau

Post #6   5/11/08 11:12:48AM   

FrankTheTank1181

Standup Guy

FrankTheTank1181 Avatar

Career:1,487-880
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:

In some ways Sokodjou was PRIDE's version of Houston Alexander. Came out of nowhere and got 2 huge lighting-fast KOs that catapulted his career.

I couldn't agree more with that comment. I fell right into all his hype, and to tell the truth I might pick him to win this fight hoping he will live up to it.

Post #7   5/11/08 8:56:07PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,841-1,016
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Sokoudjou has shown more than alexander has though in the first two fights. A versatile striking set, and a damn good sprawl.
When i hear these two being compared i feel sokoudjou is being vastly underrated.

Last edited 5/12/08 4:16AM server time by pookie
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   5/11/08 11:25:19PM   

cgentili

Learning to Sprawl

cgentili Avatar

Career:720-372
Chips:
I dont get it either, I keep thinking he must be injured or somthing. Nakamura has only lost to guys that Sokoudjou hasn't even earned the privilage of facing. The only exception resulting in a loss for Soko.
I think this fight is even at best so I'll definatly be laying down a fair deal of cash for Nakamura.
Also I think the cage had proven to be an advantage to grapplers over strikers so with a judo background thats only making the deal that much better

Post #9   5/19/08 6:29:00PM   

uGotKTFO

Learning to Sprawl

uGotKTFO Avatar

Career:634-365
Chips:

Posted by cgentili
I dont get it either, I keep thinking he must be injured or somthing. Nakamura has only lost to guys that Sokoudjou hasn't even earned the privilage of facing. The only exception resulting in a loss for Soko.

Actually, Nakamura lost to Nogueira, who Sokoudjou KO'd.

I'm leaning towards Nak on this one. Other than show some punching power in his two fights with Nog and Arona, Sokoudjou has done nothing to impress me.

He was embarassed on the ground vs Machida. Machida got him with the exact same kata gatame I think three times before finally making him tap out.

Nakamura definitely shouldn't be the +560 underdog that he's listed as on this site.

Post #10   5/20/08 1:48:37AM   

cgentili

Learning to Sprawl

cgentili Avatar

Career:720-372
Chips:
Ya Nog is the one exception...that one sure cost me! Hopefully I can make it back on this fight. It's a long shot but not anywhere close to a 5 to 1

Post #11   5/22/08 1:29:53PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
what happens in these fights is that people feel this is a close fight but pick Soko. it is like everyone recognizes that this can be a hard one to call but everyone winds up picking Soko which distorts the odds. this is going to be a match between 2 high level judoka and it will be interesting to watch.

Post #12   5/22/08 1:36:50PM   

Shidrax

Learning to Sprawl

Career:459-319
Chips:
I have Nakumura in my parlay, at 560+ it's a good bet.

I think he has a good chance because of all of his experience. He also did better against Machida than Sokoudjou. I think that Sok will be nervous and timid like he was against Machida and he will not fight like he did against Arona and Lil Nog when there was no expectations from him. Nakumura is never nervous, it must be that herb... It should be a close fight, Sokoudjo's jungle kung fu may be too much for nakamura's judo

Post #13   5/24/08 10:39:30AM