Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

WANDERLEI STRENGTH COACH PREPARING FOR JARDINE

Print  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
MMAWeekly’s Ivan Canello recently caught up with Wanderlei Silva’s personal strength and conditioning trainer, Rafael Alejarra. Besides Silva, he has or does also train the likes of Antonio Rodrigo and Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza, Robert Drysdale, an Phil Baroni, among others.

Alejarra discussed the recent performance of Jacare at the DREAM Middleweight Grand Prix, where he won his opening round bout, Silva’s upcoming fight with Keith Jardine at UFC 84, training mixed martial artists, and more.

MMAWeekly.com: What did you think about the Jacare’s fight in the DREAM Middleweight Grand Prix?

Rafael Alejarra: I think Jacare is a complete athlete, even without too much experience in big events. But I am sure that he came to stay. About the fight, everything went exactly how we predicted. Thanks to God, Jacare was strong, explosive and with his technique at a very high level. Because of this, it happened exactly the way we wanted.

MMAWeekly: How was the preparation? Was there anything special to this fight since the opponent changed a few days before the fight?

Alejarra: No, in fact, we don't train for this or that opponent. We train for any kind of opponent, and we had to be well prepared for all situations possible in one fight. Fortunately, we had a positive result.

MMAWeekly: Will Jacare keep the relationship going with you and during Wanderlei’s training?

Alejarra: Yes, he’ll go to Brazil to see his girlfriend and soon he will come to Vegas and will join us to start the training again and help Wanderlei for his next fight.

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   5/2/08 9:42:42AM   

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:
Hope wandy gets back on the winning column.

Post #2   5/2/08 12:23:18PM   

bullettdodger

BANNED

bullettdodger Avatar

Career:332-207
Chips:

Posted by juanez13

I would be nice, but Jardine is too unpredictable, it should be interesting fight, that if it is not decided in the first few minutes, then we got a war on our hands... atleast thats what i think

Post #3   5/2/08 1:55:59PM   

ThePlague

O&A party rock

ThePlague Avatar

Career:1,478-836
Chips:

Posted by bullettdodger

Posted by juanez13

I would be nice, but Jardine is too unpredictable, it should be interesting fight, that if it is not decided in the first few minutes, then we got a war on our hands... atleast thats what i think

I think you're right, but I think if it is decided in the first few minutes it'll be Wandy walking away the winner. I don't remember him ever being put away as quickly and easily as Houston put Jardine away.

edit: Shoot. Scratch that, I just remembered the Vitor fight, though that was a long time ago.

Last edited 5/2/08 4:09PM server time by ThePlague
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   5/2/08 4:03:51PM   

EON

Banned

Career:112-65
Chips:
Shame on the haters, Wandy will be back to his winning ways. No disrespect to Jardine, I like him and I'm not putting it out of my head he could win but when I heard this matchup stylisticly this is a horrible fight for Jardine. Its that of the Houston fight (no more excuses on how he took Houston lightly, even if he did then so what, thats his own fault and not an excuse) except whatever Jardine has Wandy is a little better at it, especially leg kicks, the clinch and getting inside with punishment. I dont know why Wandy came into the Chuck fight so off his game but for the sake of his career he cant lose, its simply not an option. He would either have to go to Dream or retire which would suck because he was arguably the goat of the LH division.

Post #5   5/2/08 7:23:04PM   

Chuteboxer

Standup Guy

Chuteboxer Avatar

Career:297-176
Camp: The Grappling Academy
Chips:
I hope this training pays off for Wandy...he was in greath shape for chuck though, and he still lost...

Jardine's better than we all expected I think. I want Wandy to go Houston on Jardine's ass, but we'll see.

Post #6   5/3/08 10:07:51AM