Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

More money than meets the eye in the UFC

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,690-1,487
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
One of my passions in life is technology. I’m obsessed with gizmos and gadgets and am all but in love with my iPhone.

A friend who knows about my obsession had a computer he wanted to sell on eBay and asked me what I felt it was worth. He went to a Web site that showed an estimated street value, one I felt was considerably too high.

He argued that his asking price was justified because this web site was made up of experts and they agreed with him.

True, I said, but something is only worth what someone else will pay for it. And when we went to eBay and looked at completed listings for a computer with specs similar to his, he was shocked. People were only paying about half of what he thought he could get.

And that same analogy is true when it comes to fighter compensation. There is a lot of debate in the mixed martial arts media over what the UFC pays its fighters. It’s easy to take the stance that the fighters deserve more pay.

Link

Post #1   4/30/08 1:36:18PM   

Tein_Lung

Banned

Career:92-57
Chips:
MMA has ecliped Boxing in popularity yet boxers make more then 10 times what MMA fighters make... IMO something is very wrong with that

Post #2   4/30/08 1:40:09PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Great article. Very eye opening.

My main gripe is still medical bills not being paid for by the UFC. Like the pre-fight screenings, and injuries sustained during the fights.

Last edited 4/30/08 2:04PM server time by Jackelope
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   4/30/08 2:03:50PM   

thatfedorsohotrightnow

banned

Career:142-108
Chips:
!!!!!50% of gross revenue for fighter pay!!!!!
Spread the word of 50% of gross revenue for fighter pay. NFL currently gives the players almost 60% of gross revenue. NBA, MLB and NHL are all over 50%. This is the standard split of money in modern pro sports.
It is irrelevent if UFC has debt from starting this business. That is their problem. They could never post a "profit" if they so choose by use of creative accounting.
Anyone that sites sponsorship as a reason for low pay is a tool. Should Peyton Manning get less salary from the Colts since he gets so much from comercials?
Spread the word in every thread about fighter pay, 50% of GROSS revenue for fighter pay!

Post #4   4/30/08 2:15:32PM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,456-1,139
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:

Posted by Tein_Lung

MMA has ecliped Boxing in popularity yet boxers make more then 10 times what MMA fighters make... IMO something is very wrong with that

Did you read the article. Only the top boxer makes money the rest make very little. Alot of the fighters in the UFC actaully make more than boxers.

People please read articles before posting your anti UFC comments.

Post #5   4/30/08 2:33:19PM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Chips:

Posted by thatfedorsohotrightnow

!!!!!50% of gross revenue for fighter pay!!!!!
Spread the word of 50% of gross revenue for fighter pay. NFL currently gives the players almost 60% of gross revenue. NBA, MLB and NHL are all over 50%. This is the standard split of money in modern pro sports.
It is irrelevent if UFC has debt from starting this business. That is their problem. They could never post a "profit" if they so choose by use of creative accounting.
Anyone that sites sponsorship as a reason for low pay is a tool. Should Peyton Manning get less salary from the Colts since he gets so much from comercials?
Spread the word in every thread about fighter pay, 50% of GROSS revenue for fighter pay!

Do you post this in every thread. It is starting to sound like spam.

Post #6   4/30/08 2:35:10PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,337-741
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

My main gripe is still medical bills not being paid for by the UFC. Like the pre-fight screenings, and injuries sustained during the fights.

The UFC does cover medical bills do little research on it and you will see the only person to even say anything about medical was Kalib Starnes who later came out and said he never said they don't cover medical bills and was in the process of filling a claim to have them cover his broken foot.

Posted by Tein_Lung

I don't even think you read the article.

Post #7   4/30/08 2:46:58PM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Chips:

Posted by telnights

Posted by Jackelope

The UFC does cover medical bills do little research on it and you will see the only person to even say anything about medical was Kalib Starnes who later came out and said he never said they don't cover medical bills and was in the process of filling a claim to have them cover his broken foot.

Posted by Tein_Lung

Sometimes I think we are the only two not on the Anti-UFC train.

I found the following comment regarding this article on another website. Thought it was fitting.

People are always talking about boxing's pay, when boxing's pay is WORSE for the vast majority of fighters. You'll almost never find people making $80k for a second or third fight on a boxing card, but it happens quite a bit in the UFC.

We are headed for a boxing type system, which sucks. Soon we'll have one megafight with a bunch of super shitty fights. Chuck or Randy's pay will go up to $5 million per fight, but the lesser guys will go down from $15k to $5k. I hope all the bitchers will be happy then, cause it seems like that is what they want.

Last edited 4/30/08 2:58PM server time by darnok

Post #8   4/30/08 2:48:46PM   

iwannabesedated

banned

iwannabesedated Avatar

Career:575-327
Chips:

Posted by Darnok

Posted by telnights

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by Tein_Lung

Sometimes I think we are the only two not on the Anti-UFC train.

<------ Im not on that anti train either.

If salary was a problem then why dont we see more fighters in the news speaking about it.I dont havent ever read or heard GSP,Rampage,Anderson,BJ,NOG,Franklin,Hughes,Sherk,Forrest,and the rest of the top UFC minus Randy bitching about pay.

Comparing MMA with football and Basketball and Baseball and how its 50% gross well..Football thats 16 Games,NHL 82,MLB 162,and NBA 82...Now compare 50% of that to a guy who fights maybe 3 times a year...

Post #9   4/30/08 3:01:26PM   

JWils

Standup Guy

JWils Avatar

Career:1,467-773
Chips:
I found it very interesting to read how much guys are making from sponsors....

I would have my entire trunks covered in ads to make that kind of coin....

Post #10   4/30/08 3:08:35PM   

thatfedorsohotrightnow

banned

Career:142-108
Chips:
I just post it in theads about fighter pay. You should too.

Post #11   4/30/08 3:11:54PM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Chips:

Posted by thatfedorsohotrightnow

I just post it in theads about fighter pay. You should too.

Why I think they are paid just fine. I don't want this to turn into boxing with one high paid fighter and the rest crappy low paid fighters on each card. That would suck.

Are you Randy's Bolywood agent

Last edited 4/30/08 3:21PM server time by darnok

Post #12   4/30/08 3:20:25PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by telnights

Posted by Jackelope

I guess nobody can get the story straight. Everyone is pushing their agenda and saying "this and that" I really want to know what the truth behind it is.

One part of me says that legally it's impossible for them to not cover medical expenses.

Another part of me says from experience that gripes and complaints don't come out of nowhere when seen in more than one instance. That's just general life experience speaking there.

So ultimately, I try to view the situation objectively, and I'm not "anti UFC" but something is not hooking up here. It's really starting to frustrate the shit out of me.

Post #13   4/30/08 3:38:11PM   

Ben_Hutch

Banned

Career:282-168
Chips:

Posted by telnights

Posted by Tein_Lung

Post #14   4/30/08 4:30:06PM   

king_katool

MMA Sensei

king_katool Avatar

Career:325-231
Chips:
fighters are paid by there performance its pretty fair they could go up a little but they are pretty well taken care of IMO i do not know as ive not looken into it but if the medical bills are not covered by the UFC i think that should change cuz thats bullshit but i dont see how they managed to pull that one of, the fights should put together UFCFA lol, for those a little slow its ultimate fighting championship fighters association, like a union haha

Post #15   4/30/08 4:48:23PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2