Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

will UFC unban Josh Gross?

Print  
will the UFC let Gross attend press conferences again?
Yes 10 30%
no 23 70%
Posted By Message

disorderlyvision

Respect the Battle Axe

disorderlyvision Avatar

Career:1,622-1,122
Chips:
Gross was banned for leaking TUF results, but will it be lifted now that he is with SI

link

Sam Caplan notes that Josh Gross, Editor of Sherdog.com, is stepping down from his position there to take up a writing gig at SI.com and rightly wonders whether Dana White's longstanding ban/refusing to credential Gross will carry over when he takes up his spot at one of the most legitimate sporting news outlets in America. More importantly, Sam raises the question of what might happen to both the UFC and Gross if White continues the ban. Notable quote:

Post #1   4/30/08 12:20:30PM   

disorderlyvision

Respect the Battle Axe

disorderlyvision Avatar

Chips:
from my understanding not only did gross get himself banned, but he got all internet only media outlets banned from UFC press conferences. not 100% sure if that is true, but that is what i have heard

Post #2   4/30/08 1:34:13PM   

gsquat

MMA Sensei

gsquat Avatar

Career:407-229
Chips:
What did he leak about TUF? Which TUF?

Post #3   4/30/08 1:34:14PM   

Tein_Lung

Banned

Career:92-57
Chips:
classic example of don't sh*t where you eat... and he pooed right on top his wheaties

if SI was smart they won't send him to the UFC press conferances

Last edited 4/30/08 1:41PM server time by tein_lung
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   4/30/08 1:41:29PM   

disorderlyvision

Respect the Battle Axe

disorderlyvision Avatar

Chips:

Posted by gsquat

What did he leak about TUF? Which TUF?

he leaked the results and it was one of the early TUF's like 1 or 2. there was a big thread on sherdog discussing this a couple weeks ago

Post #5   4/30/08 1:58:03PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Wow. I knew UFC probably took leaking of TUF spoilers seriously, at least with regards to the fighters on the show (at least those still on at this point in time), but this seriously? I'm legit surprised. But what I don't get is why it took so long...or maybe I'm misreading the reply here-are we talking about the first 2 TUFs from years back or one of the first couple episodes from 8? (The current season)

Post #6   4/30/08 3:05:10PM   

AO

MMA Regular

Career:480-289
Chips:

Posted by disorderlyvision

from my understanding not only did gross get himself banned, but he got all internet only media outlets banned from UFC press conferences. not 100% sure if that is true, but that is what i have heard

thats not true. mmaweekly gets in, although it might be due to their connection with yahoo sports.

Post #7   4/30/08 3:56:38PM   

puppetmaster837

Standup Guy

puppetmaster837 Avatar

Career:216-132
Chips:

Posted by DCRage

Wow. I knew UFC probably took leaking of TUF spoilers seriously, at least with regards to the fighters on the show (at least those still on at this point in time), but this seriously? I'm legit surprised. But what I don't get is why it took so long...or maybe I'm misreading the reply here-are we talking about the first 2 TUFs from years back or one of the first couple episodes from 8? (The current season)

The first 2 TUFs, he has been banned for quite some time.

Post #8   4/30/08 4:00:04PM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,440-1,122
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:
Thers more to it than just leaking info about TUF. Josh is one of the pioneers of the UFC Haters club. He has openly said durogatory remarks regarding the UFC and Dana for many years even prior to TUF. Sometimes I wonder if Dana stole his girlfriend or something. But either way Josh has had an ax to grind.

Post #9   4/30/08 7:47:10PM   

dust

Banned

Career:453-247
Chips:

Posted by Tein_Lung

classic example of don't sh*t where you eat... and he pooed right on top his wheaties

if SI was smart they won't send him to the UFC press conferances

Why shouldn't they? He's one of the few guys that'll actually ask good questions and not kiss Dana's ass.

Post #10   4/30/08 8:08:19PM   

iwannabesedated

banned

iwannabesedated Avatar

Career:575-327
Chips:
Doesnt look good for Gross...I remember being in a thread awhile ago after Gross wrote and open letter to Dana about steroids in the UFC...

This was Dana's response....and its great

My response to idiot Gross: Its funny how when bad things happen, you love to call me out and say that I need to jump in and fix it. All the positive things that Zuffa has done over the past 6 years and you write me an open letter telling me to fix the problem of fighters using steroids? You are the biggest idiot I have ever met in this industry. Josh “holier than now” Gross writes a letter full of insults and sarcasm about what my company and I have accomplished since buying the UFC- like it was some easy chore. This is the same scumbag who released the finalists of TUF season 4 before it even aired. Josh, before you start trying to fix my company, worry about the potential lying, corruptions and inaccuracies at your own shitty website.

To all the fighters out there that fight for me or another promotion: these fan boy websites come kissing your ass when they want to shoot video of you or get an interview so they can make money off you. But when you make a mistake, they will be right there to kick your teeth down your throat. One of the great things that has happened over the past 6 years is that real media covers us now. So when these fan boy self proclaimed MMA websites want to do video interviews or any other kind of interview to make themselves money tell them to stop calling you and leave you alone. They are not doing you any favors- they are making money off of you. I have not let Sherdog into a UFC event in years. And the UFC is doing just fine.

Anyway, back to steroids- every athlete on this planet knows what’s going on with steroids right now and we make it very clear what the athletic commission will do to them if they are caught. In fact, to my knowledge, athletes competing in combative sports are the only ones in the world who get drug tested by the government, that’s a pretty high standard to meet. Imagine if every NBA, MLB or NFL athlete was drug tested by the government every time they competed? That’s a very high standard yet UFC fighters face government drug testing every time they enter the Octagon.

Everyone knows that it hurts me and my company badly when one of my fighters tests positive for steroids. Listen Josh “save the whales” Gross- I can’t save the world by myself. So roll your boss back into the ocean and write a letter “Attention all promoters.” When your product is human beings, there are always going to be problems and nothing is ever going to be perfect.

Gross, you have no clue the stuff I deal with on a daily basis with fighters. Myself and the UFC are adamantly opposed to the use of steroids or any other kind of drugs. Most of these guys that fight in the UFC are my friends and I care about them. My job isn’t to smash them publicly and ruin their lives. Apparently, that’s your job. My job is to help them through whatever problems they might have- professional or personal.

I don’t know if anyone has ever seen Josh Gross but the guy has never done anything athletic in his entire life. And you only have to see Jeff Sherwood and his staff to know the same thing about them. These people don’t know the first thing about the demands and challenges that professional athletes are faced with. I have my own opinion of Sherdog and Gross and how they run their business but I don’t write open letters to the public about it. So for these goofy supposed fan boy clowns to sit around and write letters about what I need to do with my company and my athletes is ******* hilarious.

You guys just keep selling DVDs and chasing my guys around for video interviews so you can make more money and keep eating and I will handle the UFC and it’s fighters.

Dana White

Post #11   4/30/08 8:20:27PM   

Kracker_Jap

BANNED

Kracker_Jap Avatar

Career:359-223
Chips:

I love that letter

Post #12   4/30/08 9:06:31PM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,440-1,122
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:

Posted by 40ouncetofreedom

Doesnt look good for Gross...I remember being in a thread awhile ago after Gross wrote and open letter to Dana about steroids in the UFC...

This was Dana's response....and its great

My response to idiot Gross: ..........................................................
......Dana White

I love that letter.

Heres props. I would give real but spread the love and all.

Post #13   5/1/08 10:59:25AM