Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Michael Bisping: Fireworks guaranteed against Leben at UFC 85

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
The fight [with Chris Leben at UFC 85] was offered to me the day after I fought Charles McCarthy [at UFC 83]. There wasn’t a single moment of hesitation from me. Not a single breath. Chris has put himself back into the mix at middleweight and if I want to go for the title then I need to beat guys like him. Chris has beaten a lot of good guys. 18-4 is a good record in MMA. He’s a colourful character and I like him…he reminds me of myself in some ways. He likes to fight and he’s a real person. Leben’s tough, has got heavy hands and swings hard and he’s skilled on the ground despite not being known for that. It might come down to who’s got the better chin out of both of us, but it could be more a case of who’s technically better. I think I’m technically better than Chris Leben. He’s quite a brawler, he’ll take a couple of shots on the way in to land one of his own. He chases people round a little bit so I think fireworks are pretty much guaranteed.”

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   4/30/08 10:55:37AM   

gsquat

MMA Sensei

gsquat Avatar

Career:407-229
Chips:
I think Bisping's technicality win win him a decision. Its a shame because I was looking forward to Leben making his way back up.

Post #2   4/30/08 10:59:58AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
You know I started off liking Bisping on TUF then he got cocky and I didn't like him so much but now i'm beginning too like him again.
He seams to have mellowed out a bit an doesn't buy into his own hype as much.

He's right about this fight being a war though, it should be a real good test to see if he can hang with the big boys of the MW devision. I would actually give Bisping the edge in this fight but only because he is the more technical of the two.
Leben could still connect with a bomb an then its night night for Mike. But up to now my money is on Bisping.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #3   4/30/08 11:04:00AM   

waylon_o

In Full Mount

waylon_o Avatar

Career:162-90
Camp: Wicked Wizards
Chips:

Posted by gsquat

I think Bisping's technicality win win him a decision. Its a shame because I was looking forward to Leben making his way back up.

Back up to where? Was he ever "up" in the first place? I think Bisping wins this one fairly easily. I find it very strange that I have heard and saw so many people say they are so excited about Leben climbing back to the top and back up. I'm pretty sure he was not ever at the top in the UFC? Ever. I think if they're going to can people like Travis Lutter then they should look at canning people like Leben first. Lutter might not have the conditioning and heart it takes to be a champ, but at least he has the skill. Flame away, Leben lovers.

Post #4   4/30/08 11:16:13AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by waylon_o

Posted by gsquat

Back up to where? Was he ever "up" in the first place? I think Bisping wins this one fairly easily. I find it very strange that I have heard and saw so many people say they are so excited about Leben climbing back to the top and back up. I'm pretty sure he was not ever at the top in the UFC? Ever. I think if they're going to can people like Travis Lutter then they should look at canning people like Leben first. Lutter might not have the conditioning and heart it takes to be a champ, but at least he has the skill. Flame away, Leben lovers.

Leben's 8-3 in the UFC.

Lutter was 2-4.

You don't win 8 fights ANYWHERE if you have no skill.

Post #5   4/30/08 11:26:51AM   

waylon_o

In Full Mount

waylon_o Avatar

Career:162-90
Camp: Wicked Wizards
Chips:
I never said that Leben didn't have any skill. I said I don't think he has the skill to be a champ in the UFC. Read the post. I think Lutter does have the skill, just not the discipline. Leben is a good fighter and has a tough chin. Just not good enough to be at the top of the UFC IMO.

Post #6   4/30/08 12:35:32PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by waylon_o

I never said that Leben didn't have any skill. I said I don't think he has the skill to be a champ in the UFC. Read the post. I think Lutter does have the skill, just not the discipline. Leben is a good fighter and has a tough chin. Just not good enough to be at the top of the UFC IMO.

This quote...

I think if they're going to can people like Travis Lutter then they should look at canning people like Leben first. Lutter might not have the conditioning and heart it takes to be a champ, but at least he has the skill. Flame away, Leben lovers.

...made it seem to me like you were saying Lutter has skills and Leben doesn't. I guess I just misinterpreted your post.

And I agree about Leben...I don't think he's at the top or will ever be at the top. I'd love for him to prove me wrong, though.

Post #7   4/30/08 1:00:45PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Leben's basically been on an up-again, down-again ride in UFC. He'd be working up to being on the cusp of title contention, then a tough loss or two knocks him down and he'll work up again only to fall down again. Now he's in the up again phase where a win here, especially one against Bisping, again puts him right on the cusp of top-tier status. But even if he KOs Bisping, I still see him needing at least 1-2 more wins to get to Silva.

Post #8   4/30/08 1:16:49PM   

Shirles

Learning to Sprawl

Shirles Avatar

Career:715-521
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
Leben has been in fights like this before. He may look like he is the underdog, but still comes out on top. He will not give up, and I believe that is where he is going to win it.

Bisbing will still be too tense and causious. Leben is willing to take every shot there is to get his winning blow. I think he will succeed in wearing down Bisbing, and either taking it to a decision win, or an interesting knock out punch!!

Post #9   4/30/08 1:45:30PM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
i think this is going to be a fun fight o watch but i think leben wins

Post #10   4/30/08 1:46:55PM   

Focker101

MMA Regular

Focker101 Avatar

Career:1,394-777
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by waylon_o

Posted by gsquat

Leben's 8-3 in the UFC.

Lutter was 2-4.

You don't win 8 fights ANYWHERE if you have no skill.

Also Leben always brings it whether he wins or loses
I dont care so much if you win or lose as long as you come to fight, train hard and come in condition to fight anywhere the fight goes, Fans deserve to see a good show Leben delivers

Post #11   4/30/08 1:55:49PM   

GSPCanada

Standup Guy

Career:637-415
Chips:
I don't like Leben but for sure the guy brings it and he IS a top 10 guy and i do believe he was near the top earler he had a 5 fight win streak over guys like Jorge n Cote. He wasn't thrown in against Anderson Silva for no reason if he beat silva (obviously a big if for every one in the mw division) he would have had a title shot

that being said I don't really know how much knock out power Bisping has and I really don't know too much about his chin. his technicality n reach will be his edge he has to put a long combo together to knock leben out it cant be one shot or a 1-2 combo. Fireworks will happen either leben by ko or bisping by decision

Post #12   4/30/08 3:42:24PM   

GrandMaster313

In Full Mount

GrandMaster313 Avatar

Career:992-648
Chips:
you know something Leben may not be the best fighter or for that matter anywhere close but i have got to give this guy a trophy or something. It seems like he fights every other PPV regardless if he gets destroyed or not. The guy has a lot of heart and i think that makes him a very dangerous fighter. I think there could be a great chance for an upset over Bisping.

Post #13   4/30/08 4:06:51PM   

Ben_Hutch

Banned

Career:282-168
Chips:
I have tickets this, me and the other 20,000 fans there will go crazy for Bisping. Can't wait to see him destroy Leben (i don't diss-like Leben).

Post #14   4/30/08 4:24:27PM   

CantAndleDaRiddum

I Got My Black Belt in MMA

CantAndleDaRiddum Avatar

Career:299-192
Chips:
this fight is gonna be nuts. WAR BISPING!

Post #15   4/30/08 4:42:36PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2